Hopblog thoughts on "Hash-gate"

I have only skimmed this thread, but I would make the point that no one likes a delay - especially not the performers and staff. You are ready, in the zone, hyped, and then - BANG - you have to wait. It sucks.

We have Hop's explanation, and it's a good one. Some folks seem to think he did this for some kind of advantage. He did not. It is actually something of a disadvantage to wait.

But worth it for a correctly marked field, I suppose.

Which points out that if it was not a safety concern, the action is totally inexplicable. You have to beleive that he knew he would be giving up at lest as much pulling the corps off the field as could be gained with brighter lines from a competative standpoint.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand that the Cadets delayed their appearance at DCI Quarterfinals to to the fact that the hash marks on the field of the Rose Bowl were nonexistent before they performed. Because of this delay, they were assessed a penalty by DCI ... and then mysteriously not assesed the penalty. I also understand that many fans have been extremely critical of this decision, even to the point of launching hostile insults at the corps members and, of course, at George Hopkins.

It is surprising, and perhaps a little sad, at how hostile DCI fans can be when "their" performance is interrupted ... forgetting that the kids in the corps have nothing to do with the decision. Given the Cadets' extremely diifficult and fast drill, not having hash marks is a safety issue more than anything else. For all we know, a lack of a hash mark might have resulted in a 20-kid pile-up in the closer. Whose best interests is that? If you perform and utilize hash marks all year, you should not be expected to perform without them on the most important show of the year.

I have personal experience with this issue, as an instructor of the 1994 Santa Clara Vanguard. That year, rain conditions made the field in Boston extremely slippery and dangerous for the kids in the corps. As the corps took to the starting line, DCI wisely pulled the plug on a performance that would have likely injured a few members. Shortly thereafter, I saw fans scream things at the Vanguard members that can only be written via ##### on DCP, and in one case, throwing things at our pit (a full can of Coke). Given the fact tha the corps members had nothing to do with this decision, I could not believe the hostility the fans directed at the kids, which continued all weekend.

Look, I am one of the first people to call George Hopkins, or anyone else for that matter, out when something is done that is not in the best interests of our activity. But, you should take a deep breath and think this issue through before you simply label George's action as disgraceful etc. He did the right thing, and was only looking out for the corps.

Personally, given the Cadets' drill, I don't think his decision likely had anything to do with chasing a trophy. It think it had to do with the safety of the kids, which must be paramount to all else.

Lee

To which I replied

"Lee....they weren't throwing the can of coke at the SCV pit, they were throwing it at DCI. The kids just happened to be there [/sarcasm]"

I am saddened to see that the audience at a drum corps show has become nothing better than a crowd at a Jerry SPringer show when the DNA results are announced.

:(

Yup . . . and yup. You'll never count me among George Hopkins' biggest fans . . . though, at the very least, I have always respected, often admired, and usually enjoyed, his corps, the Cadets. But, as easy as it would be to single him out yet again as the third sign of the coming apocalypse, I really can't find fault with his decision here. I think he was just trying to do what was best for his corps under the circumstances.

Wasn't mysterious at all. DCI assessed the penalty on the field because that's what they thought was right at the time. After time to discuss as a group, it was determined that the penalty was not, in fact, warranted. It was reversed and DCI issued a statement stating basically this and apologizing for the the entire incident and confusion.

Which in and of itself is mysterious, no? B)

Which in and of itself is mysterious, no? B)

I don't think so. The judge on the field made a snap call based on the info he had at the time -- the Cadets stepped off late. When appropriate, all the judges/officials got together, gathered all the available info on the matter and re-evaluated. Ultimately, they got the call right. It WAS DCI's failure that the field was not lined AS AGREED TO AND PROMISED. So therefore, penalty was inappropriate. No different (or more mysterious) than correcting a tabulation error after the fact. They were open and honest with their decision and about as above-board as they could have been concerning the whole thing.

Edited by Liam

I don't think so. The judge on the field made a snap call based on the info he had at the time -- the Cadets stepped off late. When appropriate, all the judges/officials got together, gathered all the available info on the matter and re-evaluated. Ultimately, they got the call right. It WAS DCI's failure that the field was not lined AS AGREED TO AND PROMISED. So therefore, penalty was inappropriate. No different (or more mysterious) than correcting a tabulation error after the fact. They were open and honest with their decision and about as above-board as they could have been concerning the whole thing.

I thought it was supposed to have been more a case of the left hand not talking to the right hand. From what I read (somewhere in the quagmire of postings re this issue) that one official gave the okay to hold off and reline (to which their director then pulled them aside to make room) and another official (not realizing this had taken place) gave them the penalty. The line of communication then went even more FUBAR when Hopkins realized a penalty was still given and blew an O-ring (for all the world and cameras to see, unfortunately). It appears that, ultimately, cooler heads prevailed, a group huddle among the officials was called, and the decision was reversed. Or that's the gist of what I read somewhere...

I thought it was supposed to have been more a case of the left hand not talking to the right hand. From what I read (somewhere in the quagmire of postings re this issue) that one official gave the okay to hold off and reline (to which their director then pulled them aside to make room) and another official (not realizing this had taken place) gave them the penalty. The line of communication then went even more FUBAR when Hopkins realized a penalty was still given and blew an O-ring (for all the world and cameras to see, unfortunately). It appears that, ultimately, cooler heads prevailed, a group huddle among the officials was called, and the decision was reversed. Or that's the gist of what I read somewhere...

Exactly (that's pretty much what I laid out as well, just a little less detail) -- and like I said, nothing mysterious about it. Unfortunate? Yes. Unseemly? Sure. Could have been avoided with better communication? Absolutely. But mysterious? I don't see it.

I am saddened to see that the audience at a drum corps show has become nothing better than a crowd at a Jerry SPringer show when the DNA results are announced.

Well, if it's any consolation, it was one unfortunate night due to miscommunications and hot tempers. I attended four DCI shows this summer with enthusiastic and appreciative spectators. It's probably not the new normal.

Exactly (that's pretty much what I laid out as well, just a little less detail) -- and like I said, nothing mysterious about it. Unfortunate? Yes. Unseemly? Sure. Could have been avoided with better communication? Absolutely. But mysterious? I don't see it.

Yeah, it seems like the "perfect storm" of miscommunication. I'm pretty sure all parties involved would like a do-over. DCI-- keep better watch on the field, make sure the judges keep in touch with each other. Hopkins--check the field before the corps lines up, don't freak out if something goes wrong, and if you still end up losing it, don't do it within eyesight of the crowd and/or cameras. (He's already said as much, himself.) Time to adjust and move on, in my opinion.

Yeah, it seems like the "perfect storm" of miscommunication. I'm pretty sure all parties involved would like a do-over. DCI-- keep better watch on the field, make sure the judges keep in touch with each other. Hopkins--check the field before the corps lines up, don't freak out if something goes wrong, and if you still end up losing it, don't do it within eyesight of the crowd and/or cameras. (He's already said as much, himself.) Time to adjust and move on, in my opinion.

Agreed :doh:

To which I replied

"Lee....they weren't throwing the can of coke at the SCV pit, they were throwing it at DCI. The kids just happened to be there [/sarcasm]"

:(

Has become? The (arguably far more heinous) SCV incident was 13 years ago if I understood the comment correctly.