Phantom Show ideas for next year

Carmina Burana, or Mahler's 8th.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:ph34r: TWO WORDS

"NEW WORLD" - Dvorak

I know, I know -- Regiment did it in 89 and IMHO should have won then, but there is SOOOOOO much that J.D Shaw, Rennick and the viual team could do with this!

For instance, have the closer used in 1989 - reqorked and used as the opener, then there are TONS of options for the ballad, and even a closer.

Show theme ---- "New World Music for a New World"

Show colors same black baldrics/colors as the original, but I would have fire orange drums that bleed into orange and have the flags/silks match this motif. I would also have the guard ALL female and have them in all oragish/red with flowing white accents .

Just a lucid dream I've had every time I hear "New World" on the radio and have flashbacks of Regiments stellar rendition way back then. JUST THINK of how "Firebird" (whic was done before) turned out this year~!! CAN YOU EVEN IMAGIN TJHAT HORNLINE, with JD Shaw's & Paul Rennick writting as well as the Emmert Bos & Jamey doing this all over, but with a different sound/musical choices?????

THINK IT OVER!

Sorry, I just don't buy into this whole "intellectual property" ########

can of worms is open...let's all just teach this young'n a lesson or two.

Let me start...

WHAT?

and I guess patent law should not exist either.

No one should every have a good idea anymore and expect to make any money from it.

You are seriously showing your inexperience with this and I would expect before this thread goes on much longer...you will change your mind.

With current design team, my response is an unqualified yes. And a Bach show would allow Regiment to bring its considerable might to an underappreciated repertoire in drum corps circles. My personal belief is that the crowd would wet itself. And drill-wise, you put the most modern drill you can possibly come up with (I mean, really push it with the innovation...forget everything you know about drill design), with this amazing music arranged in the style for which Regiment is known, and you have a winner.

And kick halts! :P

OK...since you brought it up....and you also mentioned the design team. This was one of my issues with this year's show. The kick halts are getting moldy and the whole flying 360 wedge of cheese with the leg kick at the end bores me to death now.

This design team has to work on giving us NEW cool moments and NOT continuing to rehash the same old stuff. I know other corps do it too...but why not lead in the visual area?

As far as the music...why not come up with a visual concept first and then get the music that fits the visual concept? And for those folks saying Carmina Burana...I harken back to the Pines of Rome and how everyone felt how great that was going to be UNTIL THEY SAW IT. That show was lucky to make finals.

OK...since you brought it up....and you also mentioned the design team. This was one of my issues with this year's show. The kick halts are getting moldy and the whole flying 360 wedge of cheese with the leg kick at the end bores me to death now.

This design team has to work on giving us NEW cool moments and NOT continuing to rehash the same old stuff. I know other corps do it too...but why not lead in the visual area?

As far as the music...why not come up with a visual concept first and then get the music that fits the visual concept? And for those folks saying Carmina Burana...I harken back to the Pines of Rome and how everyone felt how great that was going to be UNTIL THEY SAW IT. That show was lucky to make finals.

I thought this years show was very innovative. Visually, the flocking drills and movements were very creative, innovative, and refreshing.

I think Phantom has taken an interesting approach the last couple of seasons. They've a nice combination of new material and put in a few favorites from the past. Something for the new fans and the old fans.

Speaking of Bach, Max Reager wrote a fantastic organ Fantasy based on the BACH theme.

B=Bb, A=A, C=C, H=B natural

Bach wrote so many great arias in all those contatas and masses. The thing I love about them is most are in a duet or trio between the vocalist and one or a pair of instruments (most often violins, flutes, or oboes). That gives an arranger a lot to work with and develop.

Edited by shawn craig

My yearly contributions to this list:

Strauss: Eine Alpensinphonie

Great list! You only left one off--gotcha covered! Kind of obscure, but ooooohhhhhh...if you like Zarathustra, you'll LOVE Alpensinphonie! Obscure, brassy, fortissimo, dark stuff suited for Phantom. 'Storm' section great for Rennick to work his magic. Great drill ideas, for those of you who mentioned 'gag me with a wedge of cheese.'

I never understood why corps would buy the rights in the first place. Most people don't know about drum corps. Do you REALLY think like, James Barnes would ever find out if a corps arranged and played his Symphony No. 3? I don't. If I were an arranger I wouldn't really worry about the legal stuff.

Constitution of the United States of America

Article I, Section 8

'The Congreess shall have Power...To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the eexclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries.'

Trumped. Shut up.

Oh I just don't like it. Actually, I don't think I've ever liked anything I've heard/played by Reed except for Russian Christmas Music. There's a lot of wind ensemble music that would work for drum corps fine (Terpsichore by Bob Margolis...someone has to do it, and I will keep saying it) but Alfred Reed is one of the last people I'd think to use. He's not even in my top 20 of favorite writers for wind ensemble. I know I know, I'm committing sacrilege for not liking Alfred Reed, but I just don't like it :(

Eh, only about 20 measures I like. Would make a good tag ending and blow-your-face-off section.

Sorry, I just don't buy into this whole "intellectual property" ########

See above. Shut up.

something classical, but nothing written by any minimalist composers, its no offense to them, its just not phantom.

However, that being said, when Glassmen played Beethoven, the first thing I said to myself was "wow what if phantom did that right"

Yeah, none of this insanity crap.

1712 Overture, PDQ Bach. Show title - Regiment Lite!

RM - I kill me

ampssuck

Ha-ha! Love it. Maybe best for when VK gets back to D1--several years of PDQ available for them to play with!

So did Lizst and several others.

Once again, I say:

N E V S K Y

Yes there are many composers who wrote tribute pieces to Bach using the theme.

I happened to have recently heard the Reger (sp?) done by Paul Jacobs, chair of the Juliard organ department at the age of 26 and who has memerized all of Bach's organ works, and it was magnificant! :ph34r:

*by the way if anyone has the chance to hear Paul Jacobs GO! He is an amazing musican and a very nice person also.*

I thought this years show was very innovative. Visually, the flocking drills and movements were very creative, innovative, and refreshing.

I think Phantom has taken an interesting approach the last couple of seasons. They've a nice combination of new material and put in a few favorites from the past. Something for the new fans and the old fans.

See...I would agree for the most part and then when the designers look for cheese to go on top...they have gone back to the stock leg kicks and whirling 360 wedges for impact. I'm asking for new design work in these areas as much as some of the other new design work their doing.