Fans Not Clapping at the End of a Corps Show ?

Might surprise you...but I agree. While I might wish that folks would find it in their hearts to appluad the young people who put theri lives into doing what I did, and some such as yourself still do...if you don't feel it...don't clap...fine by me. The majority will applaud because they want to. No one should feel coerced to react a certain way like that.

I wasn't too surprised, based upon your earlier post.

From a practical POV, we probably all will find SOMEthing to clap for. (Even, as Tom A. said, to thank them for finishing. :))

If a corps was so hot, the crowd will be up on its feet, and no one on the field will notice a few sticks-in-the-mud who didn't move. If the corps was only so-so, the members will collect their perfunctory applause, so some non-clappers won't be unexpected. If a corps was pretty stinky, the "golf" clappers will still be the majority because people like to be nice and show their appreciation for the effort. Like I said earlier, most people don't feel very put out to slap their palms together, even if it was a lousy performance. Additionally, there are other ways of showing appreciation of a corps' efforts, besides at the conclusion of its performance.

I'm just defending some people's right (including my own in the future) to have a genuine reaction of .... nothing.

And, apparently, so is MikeD. Is the Earth still spinning properly on its axis?

Edited by Dale Bari

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't too surprised, based upon your earlier post.

From a practical POV, we probably all will find SOMEthing to clap for. (Even, as Tom A. said, to thank them for finishing. :))

If a corps was so hot, the crowd will be up on its feet, and no one on the field will notice a few sticks-in-the-mud who didn't move. If the corps was only so-so, the members will collect their perfunctory applause, so some non-clappers won't be unexpected. If a corps was pretty stinky, the "golf" clappers will still be the majority because people like to be nice and show their appreciation for the effort. Like I said earlier, most people don't feel very put out to slap their palms together, even if it was a lousy performance.

I'm just defending some people's right (including my own in the future) to have a genuine reaction of .... nothing.

And, apparently, so is MikeD. Is the Earth still spinning properly on its axis?

I don't know...I'm feeling a bit of vertigo right now! :P

I don't think so. I mean...I guess it's nice to clap for all the shows, but if you don't care for it, you don't care for it.

Kind of off topic, but: I know there are PLENTY of people who don't cheer after my high school marching band performs. Doesn't hurt me any.

For all corps, we should regulate 24 claps, and 2 ‘woo-hoos’ at 40 decibels (no more and no less) – failure to comply will result in explosion from the activity as enforced by the DCI prize patrols. Senior corps are to only receive 12 claps and 1’ woo-hoo’ 40 decibels because they don’t practice as much.

I mean how would you feel if when you marched on to the field and saw a fan wiping the tears of joy from her face for the previous corps and after your show you notice the same fan only screaming ‘great show’ as you exited? So no over reacting is allowed

maybe after they pass electronic we can make the corps responsible for their own applause – they’ll just play the same sample over their PA as they break down

The show announcers should ask all the fans to hold their applause through the entire show. Then, once the scores are tabulated, DCI or DCA, could just use "canned applause" ( much like the "canned laughter" used on TV sit-coms )

The higher the score, the louder and longer...the applause! :P

I don't clap if I don't like what I am seeing...if I really hate what I am seeing I go get a hotdog or go potty or even boo if it is over-the-top-bad. As far as how that affects the performer??? I marched 3 years in DCI and (so far) 6 in DCA....I don't really notice the crowd while I am performing so I don't think it would faze me one bit. The level of concentration required doesn't let you notice whether people are clapping or not...if you start listening for that and worrying about it you will tick.

I don't really notice the crowd while I am performing so I don't think it would faze me one bit. The level of concentration required doesn't let you notice whether people are clapping or not...

well on the other hand with only 50 or so at a open class shows the lack of response is normal for the most part except the diehards and with the reduced audience the kids actually do notice, whether the performance is executed to your satisfaction or not they still deserve some recognition :rolleyes:

...There are numerous ways for a fan to demonstrate whether they like the show or not. Email, letters, souvie $$, apd purchase or not. ..

Email? Letters? Who knows how many emails and letters and blog comments the director of the Cadets has gotten over the past 3 years saying how much they hate their shows?? Doesn't seem to deter him!

I went to a high school band show. It was pretty apparent that most of the folks just clapped for their (kids') band.

Were those bandos RUDE?

The sense of entitlement on DCP is stifling...

I clap if I want, or not. I boo if I want, or not.

Peddle your entitlement swill to someone who cares what you "think".

Edited by GuyW

I went to a high school band show. It was pretty apparent that most of the folks just clapped for their (kids') band.

Were those bandos RUDE?

The sense of entitlement on DCP is stifling...

I clap if I want, or not. I boo if I want, or not.

Peddle your entitlement swill to someone who cares what you "think".

< standing up in front of the computer clapping to your post >

^OO^