I am drawing a blank on the photo subject on the left.

The man on the right... I'm reasonably sure I know who he is.

JimF

Arnie is playing a French horn...

• Like 2

big new clue to man on left...

When he yelled "Mark Time March" he was DM

and at that Hamilton Show in 1964 the problem was... he was supposed to bring up the horns first!!!!!!! and he forgot to do it... and YES they were supposed to play on the first step...

It was one of the greatest disasters in the history of drum corps - and it was the end of the first tune before they pulled it together at all...

However, that critical error aside - he was a fantastic drum major and is a great guy and joined with Vince Bruni and Doctor Ed Mizma as DM for my corps the following year

• Like 1

Really?

I find it hard to believe that none of you want to stick it out

here?

After all these years, are we just gonna give it all up??

I haven't gone anywhere. i've just been busy the last few days

Your man is not the only one to fall victim to that "horns up" tic.

At the '63 Northeastern Championships in Agawam, that exact scenario took place for the Sunrisers. It derailed their title chances instantly.

I had a record of St Lucy's at the 1966 VFW states, where they same thing happened at the start of their concert number. All you heard were a few isolate beeps and boops from the hornline. Then silence...then they started over. I never knew for sure what had happened until years later when I asked a St Lucy's alum from 66 what the heck had happened. he told me the DM started conducting concert without the horns up. Oops... :tounge2:

>>I had a record of St Lucy's at the 1966 VFW states, where they same thing happened at the start of their concert number. All you heard were a few isolate beeps and boops from the hornline. Then silence...then they started over. I never knew for sure what had happened until years later when I asked a St Lucy's alum from 66 what the heck had happened. he told me the DM started conducting concert without the horns up. Oops... :tounge2:<<

HAHA ... same thing happened to Sky in 73 at a show in Canada ... we were changing the opener during the day but it wasn't quite ready at night ... Pepe kept calling out for Formation A and Formation A1 to distinguish which one we would set up ... they decided to stick with Formation A for the show ... but somehow Butch got confused ... called for a bass drum roll ... and started to conduct ... unfortunately he forgot to bring the horns up and poor Jack Day's arms almost fell off trying to sustain the roll ... on a slightly different note, the final seven-count chord on the finish line by the Bpt PAL sounded like half the horn line passed out at the 67 NE Circuit Championship ... DM Alice Dobson turned around to salute the crowd ... walked off ... and never brought in the corps for the final hit ... OH MY!

:-)

Edited by ajlisko
  • Like 2

Nightmare scenarios all. Add the 1974 DCI East prelims for Garfield.

Actually, this was all a throwback to military drill commands. Eventually, instructors and show designers realized all these superfluous cues were just supplying opportunities for errors and simply eliminated them. Horns, for example, simply remained "up" for the entire show.

Drum majors always had too much on their plates, in my view. These days, I recommend at clinics that the shows be crafted such that they would continue seamlessly even if the drum major were suddenly abducted by intergalactic aliens.

>>Eventually, instructors and show designers realized all these superfluous cues were just supplying opportunities for errors and simply eliminated them. Horns, for example, simply remained "up" for the entire show.<<

According to Jack Sullivan, DM of both the CT Yankees AL National Champs in 46 and the Jersey Skeeters (Hackensack Post) 54-55, the Jersey Joes won the 48 AL Nats by touching elbows the entire show and leaving their horns up throughout ... what's old is new again - eh Frank?

:-)

My last regular season show my first go around was 1979 Corning, NY. Had a new DM that year and had trouble following him during fast paced concert of Kentons "Grenada Smoothie". Someone else directed the concert at Corning, jumped off the podium but.... forgot horns down. Half the horn line snapped down at the usual spot and the rest of us just stood there with horns up waiting. Regular DM jumped up (swear he had this "well that saved my bacon" look on his face) and brought the horns down so we could continue. New week at DCA Hershey he directed everything....

Edited by JimF-LowBari