OMG Could We Have Been So Young?

Your sarcasm is duly noted, however.....I'll stick with my opinion that most people are happy to see pictures of themselves during their drum corps days online.

If that cymbal player is offended by my posting his picture online, my response is that it's a shame. I'll play the odds that since there are almost 1 million views on the "old corps photos" thread that the majority of people are REALLY, REALLY interested in looking at old corps pictures, regardless of the physical shape of the person in the picture. And with that many views, I'd guess the odds are pretty good that the vast majority of members DON'T have a picture of themselves posted there.

I can't apologize for that guy's corpsmates giving him the nickname. And unlike you, I can't presume to know how that person feels about it. All I can say with certainty is that were it me, I'd be happy that someone had a picture of me and posted it.

But that's just me.

If you reread your first response, you'll notice that sarcasm begets sarcasm.

However, your indifference is duly noted. Your assumption that someone probably liked being named after a huge, dumb, cartoon duck wearing a diaper, a baby bonnet, and talking like a moron, is probably right on target. I would lay odds that he loved the name. Again, my bad.

I can see that I should stop thinking about other people's feelings.

I agree that most people enjoy looking at old photos and remembering the good old days. I know I do. They were fun times when we were young and by all means it's a treat when someone posts old photos.

However, although you can't apologize for the man's corps mates giving him the nickname - you don't have to repeat it. I know you can't presume to know how the guy felt about being named after, a huge, dumb, cartoon duck wearing a diaper, a baby bonnet, and talking like a moron, but maybe you could presume to think how he probably felt about it. Maybe since he never said anything, people thought it was OK. I'm sure he didn't like it.

Perhaps you didn't have any derogatory nickname when you were in a corps and when you see an old picture of yourself - it's a great thing. That's cool. I'm glad no one ever felt the need to poke fun at you, everytime they called your name.

I'm sure this guy likes to remember the fun times when he marched with Cavies. I'm sure he's proud of the fact that he could play those huge cymbals, (and they are some big ### cymbals). So yeah, he's probably happy to see the picture. Not sure about the nickname, though.

My apologies to all the fat people that enjoy being called names, and the people that enjoy giving and calling the names. It's just my humble opinion.

Edited by Martybucs

Hey! He started it! :P

Actually, you were displaying your concern for the sensitivities of the "vertically challenged" previous to me:

How 'bout mini stands? Would they be OK.

Or every member has their own Mini Me, holding their music for them. Eh? That way if there was some drill the Mini Me could just stay in front of you.

So, I guess it's OK to make fun of short people, just not fat people. :bluedevil:

Actually, you were displaying your concern for the sensitivities of the "vertically challenged" previous to me:

So, I guess it's OK to make fun of short people, just not fat people. :bluedevil:

OK, you got me :rolleyes:

This post says it all. You have a way better feel for sensitivities than I. You win.

Your sarcasm is duly noted, however.....I'll stick with my opinion that most people are happy to see pictures of themselves during their drum corps days online.

If that cymbal player is offended by my posting his picture online, my response is that it's a shame. I'll play the odds that since there are almost 1 million views on the "old corps photos" thread that the majority of people are REALLY, REALLY interested in looking at old corps pictures, regardless of the physical shape of the person in the picture. And with that many views, I'd guess the odds are pretty good that the vast majority of members DON'T have a picture of themselves posted there.

I can't apologize for that guy's corpsmates giving him the nickname. And unlike you, I can't presume to know how that person feels about it. All I can say with certainty is that were it me, I'd be happy that someone had a picture of me and posted it.

But that's just me.

All right, settle down and I'll give you a little story. As you know I sign on this blog as Puppet. Reason being (and may I interject by saying that virtually all of us in St. Joe's and St. Rita's had nick names of some sort!) was that I was a very shy young man and every young woman I ever cam into contact with had a way of taking advantage of me. There was a hit song being played on the radio during the mid sixties called "I'm Your Puppet" and I got the nickname from that. I didn't like it at first, but I soon began to develop a personality around that nickname and people who don't remember me remember Puppet. I was a riot after a while. The class clown! And that's a good thing, right? And I totally agree about people liking to see themselves as they were then - those were good times, to me the best I don't think drum corps got any better - it's just different. And it was much more innocent.

Thank you for even reading this thread. And

Fixmyshako.jpg

help me with this thing, will you?

Puppet

Glassmen 1974. Early season parade uniform. Blue jeans and White shirts. All in step of course. LOL LOL

dc4.jpg

I remember lots of parades in the mid 1970's. We would do our July 1st parade and then hop over the border to do the July 4th parade, somewhere. Never kept a record of the parades but have scrapbooks from 1969-1972. Even then lots of the pieces of the puzzle are missing. At end of season there was the Toronto Santa Claus parade. Good memories and thanks for posting.

...had nick names of some sort!

Lindap 'cause there were lots of girls named Linda in the 1950's, lindam, lindad, lindab, etc. I'm digging out my school photo of 1968-1969, the year I started drum corps. I have no personal drum corps photos from 1969-1976 but of course, lots from 1977. Thanks for posting y'all.

Edit: True story. Over 20 years ago I was working at a computer assistance help desk fielding phone calls from all over the province from people we never met. We had 3 Tonys and 4 Lindas (3 brunettes) on staff. When someone called, they asked "Which Linda are you?". I replied, "I'm the blonde Linda". :)

Edited by lindap

Lindap 'cause there were lots of girls named Linda in the 1950's, lindam, lindad, lindab, etc. I'm digging out my school photo of 1968-1969, the year I started drum corps. I have no personal drum corps photos from 1969-1976 but of course, lots from 1977. Thanks for posting y'all.

Oh, I just thought your name was "Lindap". :P

Thank you to all who helped me out on how to post a picture. Now you will be sorry. LOL LOL

To say thank you to all who love our history and traditions young and old a like. I would like to share with you all a very rare look at an old school pre show ritual as it is happening in picture. Some will understand when I say our pre show ritual was sometimes longer then our show. LOL LOL These pictures are of the Glassmen from 74 or 75 I am not for sure. As you can see everyone in the Corps gets into a circle and we start singing. We were lead in song by the man in the middle as you can see. Some Alum from the Troopers should know who this man is.

The man in the brown Was our Drum and Bugle Corps Dir. The Late, Great Bill Ellis. Bill is going around shaking everyone's hand with his lucky Silver Dollar. After this was done we would then cross hands and sing our Corps Song.

Enjoy

dc6.jpg

dc7.jpg