1989 Santa Clara Vanguard

1991 Star of Indiana

1992 Cavaliers

1993 Cadets

1994 Blue Devils

1996 Phantom Regiment

Edited by gbell211

88 Madison - The reason I became a Scout

Finally the only placement anybody (read: me) cares about....1975 Scouts...maybe it's early onset Alzheimer's, but I couldn't remember (read: care) about who came in 13th last year!!

Cadets 2005

Very close HMs: Cavaliers 02, Phantom 96, Cadets 98.

~>conner

So many innovations and unbelievable impacts on the activity by our first place corps, but there's a corps whose sheer artistry, performance, raw emotion, and technical brilliance combined to make a performance that will never be forgotten...and that's obviously SCV 89. Strangely, I found myself on the losing end of many arguments as to what music book was better--1988 or 1989's--but since I have the vote for 89 SCV, I'll stick to my guns again. Gordon Henderson was able to take what was done in 1988 and eek out another level of drama from the music that very much worked for me. No better moment in the show though was in the closer when the corps hit the pre-company front impact in the music facing backfield as opposed to facing the audience in 1988. That simple move right there, with the music coming all the way down to feature the baritone soloist one more time, and then the corps coming back around and starting the final push--just to TYPE THAT brings an unforgettable chill that will be with me forever.

SCV 1989 hands down my favorite 1st place corps.

And yet, looking at the list and remembering oh so many others, it pains me to not be able to give an ode to each and every corps that came in first. But real quick--

Honorable Mention

1982--BD...this is the first year I say that I "officially" started to follow drum corps. I wore out the needle on record playing replaying this show...especially T.O. and the drum solo.

1984--Garfield...what I call the show that has DCI's official "loudest one note ever in the history of mankind"...the very last chord of "Tonight". Many other reasons why I love that show, however.

1988--Madison...the controversy that surrounds this year simply doesn't sway me. I was there in K.C., and I screamed my ### off like a little girl for the last 2 minutes of the show. THAT is drum corps!

1992--Cavaliers...mastery and musicality. It was a work of art!

1996--Phantom...with a drum major that made me wilt because of her power AND beauty and a show that is what Phantom IS and will always be, this show is DEFINITELY on my list.

1999--Santa Clara...I can listen to that music over and over and over, and never get tired of it. Just like the guy in front of me in a drive thru at Del Taco that heard me playing it one day and yelled, "SANTA CLARA ROCKS!!!"

2000--Cadets...another brilliant show that featured everything I think a drum corps show should be.

2006--Cavaliers...I have extolled here on DCP a billion times the unearthly talents of Michael Gaines, but it was this show where I believe the other pistons of the Green Machine's engine were able to chug along right with him instead of in his sizable talented shadow. A beautiful combination of music and visual that grabbed you with a most unique aura and persona, unlike anything drum corps had ever seen. Besides, it's my daughter's favorite show.

Edited by Ryan H. Turner