Could Crown win the Championship?

Its pretty unlikely that they could. I mean, You would need BD to basically think its already in the bag. If they do that, its anybody's game, but I think they're a bit too good for that. Also, cavies with a few adjustments they say they will make should improve a lot before atlanta, cadets are fixing the ending eventually, and phantom just needs a crazy ending for that bump. Them staying in third would be a feat, so winning it all would be rull hard.

I'll agree with that. At this stage of the game it seems like BD would have to trip over their own shoelaces to drop a slot. It's theirs to win or lose. I think that Crown can be a top 3 contender though.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not going to happen. I'm happy they have entered the "top 3" but it won't happen this season. They should not have beaten Phantom last night. Neither should the Cavies.

Actually, I think Crown should have probably been at least a point ahead of Phantom last night. Cavies should have been at least 3 points ahead of Phantom.

One thing is for sure though, Crown has probably picked up more fans in the last 3 years than any other corps. Great programming, fun music, and an amazing hornline and guard have really paved the way towards making Crown a fan favorite every year. If they keep this up, they will be defintitely not only be a crowd favorite, but will see much success(and who knows, possibly a championship) over the years to come.

The silly rationale', the yearly comparisons, folks: Crown does not equal Bluecoats. I can almost guarantee you that they are both hunting for different things. CCrown is your next new champion.

If you didnt realize that, yes you can actually compare their plight to the eighties Garfield Cadets, or really Star of Indiana. Slowly, steadily, surely, the commited folks at Crown are biting a little more each year and what makes anyone think that this third place finish is a fluke, winding up some say in fifth by finals night ??

Even so, fifth is another step into another league. Bluecoats will not be top five this year, or in the immediate future. Step away, unbiased, from the mix. Its really simple. Crown is a legitimate force that will be reckoned with, and they are knocking down doors as we speak.

Geoffrey

The comparison *is* a valid one, good sir, in terms of the sentiment last year. That was my point. Many folks on this board were praising Bluecoats, hailing them as a title contender. In the end it didn't pan out, and in the end, it may not pan out for Crown.

You have given the opinion that Crown will be the next new champion, passing it off as fact. No one suggested that Crown and Bluecoats were the same, but they could travel the same path in consecutive years.

For what it's worth, I hope (and think) your prediction is a correct one - I too believe that Crown will be the next new champ. And may not suffer the same fate as Bluecoats 2007, but it's still worth mentioning...

I would say no, but Phantom won in 96, and they never got 3rd at a regional before that. They were barely beating the Cavies a week before finals, and even lost to the Cavies at quarters and ended up 4th. 2 days later, they won.

Anything is possible.

In my opinion, Crown could win. Musically, I feel Crown and Phantom have superior and more effective arrangements/brass programs than the rest. If Crown can nail their marching program and get just a tad more consistent in perc. performance, they could do it. I think they will pass Cavs for sure, and I wouldn't be surprised if Cavs fell to 4th or even 5th....they will be clean, but their musical book is inferior. BD is going to be very, very clean by the end of the year........that said, I think Crown has more going on musically, and if they nail the program, they could get the nod. I wouldn't count Phantom out yet, either....music is their strength, but they must march a clean show to have a shot. I think both Crown and Phantom need to make their move soon to at least close the gap now to make it a better shot....if they do, it could be very interesting come Bloomington.

GB

I was wondering how long it would take this topic to be made on DCP after the scores were announced.

Crown won't win. They have a great show, but they won't win.

"Out of the Blue":

Back in "The Day" "Upsets" at "Nationals" could and did happen. The two greatest happened in 1964 and again in 1968 (They were both "Election Years", BTW, as is 2008). A corps that rarely won any shows, both seasons, stepped up to plate at VFW, and upset everyones applecarts. I'm sure the "Olde Tymers" here remember the Racine Kilties. :tongue:

Wouldn't it be great if Crown "Pulled a Kilties" and took home the "Prize". :devil:

Elphaba

"Out of the Blue":

Back in "The Day" "Upsets" at "Nationals" could and did happen. The two greatest happened in 1964 and again in 1968 (They were both "Election Years", BTW, as is 2008). A corps that rarely won any shows, both seasons, stepped up to plate at VFW, and upset everyones applecarts. I'm sure the "Olde Tymers" here remember the Racine Kilties. :tongue:

Wouldn't it be great if Crown "Pulled a Kilties" and took home the "Prize". :devil:

Elphaba

Then BD and Cavies would be just as shocked as Cavies and Royal Airs back in the day....64 and 68! Whoo boy.

In my opinion, Crown could win. Musically, I feel Crown and Phantom have superior and more effective arrangements/brass programs than the rest. If Crown can nail their marching program and get just a tad more consistent in perc. performance, they could do it. I think they will pass Cavs for sure, and I wouldn't be surprised if Cavs fell to 4th or even 5th....they will be clean, but their musical book is inferior. BD is going to be very, very clean by the end of the year........that said, I think Crown has more going on musically, and if they nail the program, they could get the nod. I wouldn't count Phantom out yet, either....music is their strength, but they must march a clean show to have a shot. I think both Crown and Phantom need to make their move soon to at least close the gap now to make it a better shot....if they do, it could be very interesting come Bloomington.

GB

Not many people will deny that Crown and PR have good (superior?) music arrangements/programs.

But unfortunately, that really doesn't count as much in DCI as it used to. If you don't have an "out-of-this-world" visual program or color guard, you won't win.

It's too bad the same bias doesn't apply if you don't have an "out-of-this-world" brass/percussion program.