Why does it take so long for DCA to put up the recap?

When doing a USSBA show, We call, Fax, or email the scores, Award sheets, and Recaps in Immediately after the show to the office. It only takes a little bit of time from one person to post them on the website..

I understand that the webmaster is doing double duty, and drives long distances, etc., but like I said it only takes one person to post them. I'm sure that someone in the office could do that. Maybe give them Friday off and ask for a couple of hours Saturday night or Sunday morning. :huh:

The problem is who is in the office to volunteer on a Saturday evening at 10:30 - 11:00 PM. That would be a tough position to fill on a volunteer basis or paid basis for that matter. Just my thoughts.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems to me, that it's pretty clearly a question of motivation. With the proliferation of hand-held communication devices and ubiquitousness of wi-fi, there is no reason that if it was important to the powers that be to have the scores up as soon as they are available it could easily be done. Forget about the bother of updating the dca website, they could post it here and cut out the step of contacting the webmaster. Anyone could post the scores here on an offical thread.

The bottom line is, if it was important to DCA, they could do it for nothing. I think if they could just get the scores on DCP quickly, people would give them a break about taking a day or 2 to get the recap on their website.

Disclaimer, I'm not saying DCA sucks or that Glen isn't doing a great job. As a web guy myself, I can appreciate the work that goes into keeping a site updated.

Maybe each corps should be responsible. Each corps would assign a member to send in thier corps score for the night and that would resolve everything including getting the West Coast Scores which DCI NEVER posts. Just a thought, what do you think. :huh: or :huh:

Edited by Contra Joe

awesome. feel free to buy the laptops and agree to be on duty every saturday night!

My, Pretty defensive aren't we.

Well I'm not going to get into a peeing match with you. :huh:

You have your opinion and I have mine.

I just can't understand why there is no way that DCA cannot get the scores and recaps up faster.

By looking at the posts, I would say it is just a matter of getting into the 21st century. :huh:

Have a nice day :huh:

My, Pretty defensive aren't we.

Well I'm not going to get into a peeing match with you. :tongue:

You have your opinion and I have mine.

I just can't understand why there is no way that DCA cannot get the scores and recaps up faster.

By looking at the posts, I would say it is just a matter of getting into the 21st century. :omg:

Have a nice day :worthy:

not defensive at all. I'm being realistic and have an understanding of the current situation. I'm sure there may be ways, but they may involve costs and personnell that DCA doesn't currently have.

and Chris can you promise us you'll never march again and be free every Saturday night and Sunday DCA has shows? Because that's what it would take. that means no late nights out. You're stuck sitting there waiting for it to come in.

Here is all it would take. More than one webmaster. More than one person with the ability to access the dca website, and add the scores from the night's show. One phone call, or text message from the show to the webmaster sitting at home, and it's all done.

It's 2008. There is zero excuse anymore for the lack of updates.

Here is all it would take. More than one webmaster. More than one person with the ability to access the dca website, and add the scores from the night's show. One phone call, or text message from the show to the webmaster sitting at home, and it's all done.

It's 2008. There is zero excuse anymore for the lack of updates.

Anyone on here want to volunteer to do that job?

Of course that would be if DCA would let anyone else have access? They may be keeping it one person for security reasons.

Speaking of which, would anyone on here that has great webskills want to volunteer to work on the DCA site? I read somewhere that they were looking for web designer.

How did you old timers do it back in the day?

Did you even have recaps before Al Gore built the internet?

Did you have to wait until the DCW scroll hit your front doorstep?

Im glad we are not living in those dark and troubled times anymore!

OK, how does DCI get the scores up in supposedly quick manner (I don't check so I don't know)?

To get down to cases, who does the actually work and who sends them the scores?

Also wondering if any members of the DCI BoD do any "grunt work" during shows. Fer'instance I know the DCA VP was doing Chief Judge duty at Chambersburg Saturday night. And he looked kinda busy. :tongue:

PS to AverageJoe - I had to wait until DCN hit my mailbox (until they went under :worthy: ). Man the Internet sure has everyone (including me) spoiled.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

O.K. I have to ask this out of curiosity of those who need the Recaps so quickly. What the #### do you do with them once you get them.....? :tongue: Methinks the Corps' Caption heads, who are the people who really need them, receive them in ample time. Just sayin.........

O.K. I have to ask this out of curiosity of those who need the Recaps so quickly. What the #### do you do with them once you get them.....? :thumbup: Methinks the Corps' Caption heads, who are the people who really need them, receive them in ample time. Just sayin.........

Just my opinion here, but because if you care about the score at all, you care about the recap. Raw totals mean essentially nothing. If one corps beats another by .1, but one caption judge has them up by 1.4 - that's where the entire story is.

Just sayin...