Cadets To Play Bernstein in 2009!

Bernstein? Please no. As much as I don't like most narration the Cadets have put out, I'll take it over stagnant wine in new bottles.

We're talking about signature, championship winning music presented in a way that will be difficult for anybody to ever top again a couple of decades ago. Rehashes HAVE to be better than the original to work, IMO, and that almost never happens when corps try it. If anybody can make it happen, it's the Cadets, but this is just my gut reaction to this announcement.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"We're talking about signature, championship winning music presented in a way that will be difficult for anybody to ever top again a couple of decades ago."

It's perfectly possible that most of the music they play aren't from the 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 90, 91, 94 Repertoire. We'll see.

"We're talking about signature, championship winning music presented in a way that will be difficult for anybody to ever top again a couple of decades ago."

It's perfectly possible that most of the music they play aren't from the 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 90, 91, 94 Repertoire. We'll see.

You're right, of course, and I hope that's the case.

Oi. I hope it's better than the product they've been putting on the field recently. I couldn't even watch more than 4 minutes of their Allentown show on Fan Network before I had to turn it off. I know there's a good show in there somewhere, but it's like looking for diamonds in a manure pile.

Marc Sylvester said the last "Best of Bernstein" show they performed--1990--was a show that embarrassed him because it had nothing that the corps hadn't done before. We'll see how this works out...

Embarassing...yet winning....I'd take it!

Regardless of the works selected, if they drop the narration -- or at least minimize it -- I'll be able to enjoy the corps again.

Timing of a press release is no accident. Although I do think they should have waited until finals is over, out of respect for the 2008 corps, I understand that they need to float this idea while Cadet sentiment is at a high.

It is a bit suspect. It's almost as though they are trying to spin the rest of the season in a more positive light. But, it's good press regardless.

Somebody on dcp recommended that a corps try out Bernstein's Divertimento. I downloaded it after seeing the suggestion, and I wholeheartedly agree. Great piece of music. They could also try some more stuff from his Concerto for Orchestra, where they pulled material for the 2006 show. And, if you recall, they were going to play Prelude, Fugue, and Riffs in the 2001 show before choosing Farandole fairly late in the process, so maybe they'd consider that again. His Olympic Hymn would be pretty cool, especially if the corps wants to do some mic'd vocals.

Many folks on here don't want to see a rehash of past Cadets shows, but to me, a show titled "Lenny" implies a "Best of Lenny" notion. And most of what Cadets have played has been his most popular works. I personally would like to see a mix of old and new. I'd love to hear Make Our Garden Grow or Somewhere again.

Marc Sylvester said the last "Best of Bernstein" show they performed--1990--was a show that embarrassed him because it had nothing that the corps hadn't done before. We'll see how this works out...

That's funny, because I've sort of always thought about that show in that way. It was squeaky clean and entertaining, but it was nothing new. One of my least-played Cadets shows.