Nice Corps to Corps Gestures

And I know some one remembers in 07, not really a corps to corps gesture, but somepoint along tour, some regional, i completely forget, but some guys filled up the back of their pickup with gaterade and other assorted beverages and welcomed the kids to take as many as they could hold. When I say filled, i mean filled. That truck was overflowing with bottles of gatorade. That kept me going for weeks. It was absolutely incredible. Anyone remember where that was?

I had forgotten about that!!! I can't remember where that was, though...

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two completely unrelated stories -

In 1984 the Velvet Knights equipment truck broke down on their way to the PDCA Championships......the only prelim/finals show on the west coast at the time. We (the Blue Knights) finished our prelims performance and left the stadium where our staff set us up in a retreat block and instructed us to ground our equipment. Once everything was down, our staff explained VK's situation and told us that the Velvet Knights would be marching prelims using our equipment......drums, bugles, flags.....EVERYTHING. We moved away and the Velvet Knights moved in and picked up our stuff. We went back to the stadium and watched VK wearing white t-shirts, shorts, and their red converse sneakers march their show with our stuff. I've always thought that it was a worthy accomplishment getting through their show on unfamiliar horns and mouthpieces. Afterwards we went back out and found our equipment grounded exactly where we had left it and the two corps remained fairly tight for the rest of the season.

I had to look that one up....I didn't realize that was a prelim/finals show...we didn't do the prelims segment.

I remember that as one of my worst shows....we'd put a turn direction change into the end of "Latin Implosion" and I blew the turn (still went the original direction)....I felt like crap the rest of the night, and even beating SCV for the first time that year didn't make me feel any better!

I had forgotten about that!!! I can't remember where that was, though...

If those guys are out there... holy crap. you made alot of people happy!

Two completely unrelated stories -

In 1984 the Velvet Knights equipment truck broke down on their way to the PDCA Championships......the only prelim/finals show on the west coast at the time. We (the Blue Knights) finished our prelims performance and left the stadium where our staff set us up in a retreat block and instructed us to ground our equipment. Once everything was down, our staff explained VK's situation and told us that the Velvet Knights would be marching prelims using our equipment......drums, bugles, flags.....EVERYTHING. We moved away and the Velvet Knights moved in and picked up our stuff. We went back to the stadium and watched VK wearing white t-shirts, shorts, and their red converse sneakers march their show with our stuff. I've always thought that it was a worthy accomplishment getting through their show on unfamiliar horns and mouthpieces. Afterwards we went back out and found our equipment grounded exactly where we had left it and the two corps remained fairly tight for the rest of the season.

Last year's Academy helped VK out the same way. The equipment truck caught fire on the way to their first show. The Academy offered thier horns, drums...whatever we needed and sacrificed thier own warm up time to help out a corps in need.

True class.

And I know some one remembers in 07, not really a corps to corps gesture, but somepoint along tour, some regional, i completely forget, but some guys filled up the back of their pickup with gaterade and other assorted beverages and welcomed the kids to take as many as they could hold. When I say filled, i mean filled. That truck was overflowing with bottles of gatorade. That kept me going for weeks. It was absolutely incredible. Anyone remember where that was?

was that in midland texas i think?

My memory is hazy on this one... I was drugged up due to a bad respiratory infection from hot rehearsals and freezing cold busses, but...

In 2007, at the Racine show (I think) the corps that performed before the Troopers, (Capital Sound possibly?) exited the field and waited past the fence for the corps to finish their show. As the Troopers marched off the field to circle up, the corps was lined up and applauded for the Troopers. It was very, very cool.

Edited due to my horrible use of punctuation and run-on sentences.

I think it was the Racine Scouts. I looked up the uniform and I remember seeing them in those uniforms.

Seems like Glassmen are a class act.

Last year, at the Hornell, NY show the Spartans hornline finished our visual warm up but were forced to relocate before we could complete the brass warm up. We were close to our gate time but the Glassmen front ensemble agreed to halt their warm up so we could finish ours in their space. Nice little gesture.

My age out year at Madison, SCV treated us to a spagetti dinner in their bingo hall. The hall was decked out and looked great. Not to mention the food. We gave SCV a standing ovation in the middle of the meal, then at the conclusion of the meal we sang Never Walk Alone for everyone it the bingo hall. Yet again, SCV showed how classy an organization they are. I had always had respect for them and thought of them as a class act, but the proved it with flying colors that night. :thumbup:

Was your ageout year 88?

There was lots of SCV/Madison good will that season, I remember a rain delay in Sevierville, TN after which the SCV and Madison corps went inside the gym to stay dry, after doing a lot of mingling we played each other's shows to each other across the gym and also played "You'll Never Walk Alone" together, as both of our hornlines had the same arrangement of it at the time. We also had a free day together in New Orleans that year and I don't think I saw a single clump of corps kids walking around that didn't have BOTH corps jackets in it. We were great friends with the Scouts in 88, that's for sure.

In 1980, a number of Blue Star members, at the gate, cheered the North Star as the North Star was entering the stadium for finals. This was after the Blue Stars had finished 13th in prelims, missing their first finals show ever. the North Star was the 12th place corps.

When I marched in the 90s, the Houston show at Rice University's stadium always had somebody do that - Fill up their pickup truck with ice and cans of local brand soda and just let the members have at it.