All time favorite "Drum Corps Moment".

1.) 1975 Finals, standing on the field at the end of the show feeling my heart pounding through my chest and watching the fans go absolutely nuts.

2.) 1975 CYO, same thing.

3.) 2006, MSARP, same thing.

Going to the Dream contest at Roosevelt Stadium, Jersey City, NJ in 1966. I've been fortunate enough to have had a lot of "moments" over the years but for a then 14 year old kid seeing The Cavaliers, Royal Airs, Troopers and Kilties in person for the first time as well Blessed Sac and St Lucy's, I was in drum corps heaven. I still get goose bumps thinking about that day.

I got the same feeling seeing all those great corps like the Kiltes. St. Kevin's, Casper, Garfield and a bunch more at the World's Fair in 1964.

But as a performer I will never forget the feeling, the sound, the crowd response in 1971 at Madison Square Garden’s Felt Forum during the Evening With The Corps show.

We tore that place up and got like a 10 minute standing ovation that delayed the senior portion of the show.

Puppet

Edited by Puppet

I got the same feeling seeing all those great corps like the Kiltes. St. Kevin's, Casper, Garfield and a bunch more at the World's Fair in 1964.

But as a performer I will never forget the feeling, the sound, the crowd response in 1971 at Madison Square Garden’s Felt Forum during the Evening With The Corps show.

We tore that place up and got like a 10 minute standing ovation that delayed the senior portion of the show.

Puppet

That indeed was a great night for us especially with it being at MSG :tongue:

82 Blue Devils was definitely a special year. I've always referred to it as the Dream Year. It seemed we could do no wrong.

We also had the best instructional staff, and one easterner in particular who knew how to work our egos. I can't imagine what would've happened had we lost a show that year. Our egos wouldn't have been able to take it, particularly after Whitewater. At that point, from what I recall, O.P. pretty much told us we were the DCI Champions, everybody knew it, and the rest of the season was the victory lap.

I've said it before. The moment the 1982 Blue Devils became great was the moment 2nd place was announced at DCI in 1981. The corps set the goal early that the next year would be the best corps to date for the Blue Devils and we wanted to compete with the best in history. The loss in 81 was tough for us and we wanted to make sure there was no doubt in 82. We also put the stake in the ground around January 82 that we were going undefeated. Not only undefeated, we wanted to win every show by points, not tenths and each time we faced a competitor, we wanted a larger spread after each competition. We were pretty cut-throat on the competition and whatever the outcome of a show, we had to be better the next show. Winning alone wasn't sufficient, constant improvement was.

One of the things I enjoyed throughout the 82 season was watching Garfield, especially Concerto in F. That to me was the coolest sound out there, especially with that whacked out drill that nobody could figure out. Prelude of things to come. 82 Garfield was probably the most listened to corps on my DCI records.

Edited by TrainWreck

Like everyone else, there are way to many to mention. But the two that stand out for me as a member are:

'82 Finals - hearing the deafening crowd roar as we linked hands and lowered to our knees to do the bottle dance. Each of us could feel the energy of every other girl in the guard through our hands. Didn't even feel the skinned knees we got from learning the bottle dance in a carpeted hallway.

'83 Prelims - as short lived as it was, being the only corps to beat Garfield that year. Let's hear it for peaking one day too soon!

But, topping all of that was watching my daughter perform in her first drum corps show this past summer. That, I will never forget.

Like everyone else, there are way to many to mention. But the two that stand out for me as a member are:

'83 Prelims - as short lived as it was, being the only corps to beat Garfield that year. Let's hear it for peaking one day too soon!

But, topping all of that was watching my daughter perform in her first drum corps show this past summer. That, I will never forget.

I don't know, some of us in the stands in '83 didn't feel that you peeked on friday.

I am still waiting for the time when I can watch my son march, he's only 10, but shows an interest in marching.

The 1982 and 1994 Blue Devils had a couple, interesting things in common:

1. Wayne Downey

2. Scott Johnson

3. Dave Gibbs

4. A Great Corps

5. A Great Vehicle

Oh yeah, the undefeated season

and...

The one presence that was particularly unique to those two years...

John Opedisano

Thanks, John. Oh, and I eventually got my voice back.

I don't know, some of us in the stands in '83 didn't feel that you peeked on friday.

I am still waiting for the time when I can watch my son march, he's only 10, but shows an interest in marching.

Thanks! Felt like it to me on the field on Saturday night. Friday felt phenomenal; Saturday, not so much. Alas.

Hope your son stays interested. It's a great feeling. It was fun being a parent volunteer too!

That indeed was a great night for us especially with it being at MSG :rock:

And I do believe that's you on the left.

DrumsatMSG.jpg

With Mark, John, Harold and Ringo.

I have literally dozens, if not hundreds, of favorite drum corps moments over the last 37 years. For the sake of this thread, I'll just mention the top four "moments" from my drum corps "career."

As a performer - August 17, 1972 - the inaugural DCI World Championship Prelims at Warhawk Stadium in Whitewater, WI where we earned DCI membership (22nd place) with a new corps from Alabama - The Charioteers.

As a staffer/manager - August 11, 1992 - at the DCI Division II/III World Championship finals at Warhawk Stadium in Whitewater, WI where I witnessed the corps that I had founded - Southwind - being crowned the DCI Division II Champion on the same field where I had marched in the first DCI Championship almost exactly 20 years earlier.

As a drum corps Dad, there are two: First - August 12, 2000 - at the DCI World Championship finals in College Park, MD - being on the field to see my son win his first DCI World Championship as a rookie after making the corps at age 13.

Second, August 10, 2007 at the DCI World Championship Semi-finals at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, CA - watching my son age out of the Cadets after 8 consecutive years as a marching member. Along the way, he was a soloist several times, baritone section leader, and the horn sargeant in his age out year.