Funniest Staff Comments/Rants on Tour

I've used these Chris Thompson lines many, many times...allegedly...

"are you screwing that up on purpose, or are you just stoopid?"

also:

"whassit gonna be- you gonna play it right, or you want a knuckle samwich?"

I almost hesitate posting these in fear that CT might show up at my door and make me do push ups...

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"If you're gonna suck, at least be consistent and suck every time so I can fix it!"

- Don Kaihatsu - 1998 Pioneer Brass Caption Head

"Don't tick, Don't drag, Don't suck!"

- Pat Fitzgerald - 1991 Blue Devils Tenor Tech - However, I believe this is a Float-ism

advice given before leaving us on tour for a few weeks...

"Be excellent to each other and don't suck!"

- Marc Jacoby 1991 Blue Devils - Front Ensemble Instructor/Arranger u

"Contra's, you gotta be $$$$ing me!"

- George Zingali countless times

"I'll tear your head off and #### down the opening"

- Marc Sylvester

"Don't suck"

- Gary Covitz as we entered Harvard Stadium before winning CYO Nationals in 1977

I've used these Chris Thompson lines many, many times...allegedly...

"are you screwing that up on purpose, or are you just stoopid?"

also:

"whassit gonna be- you gonna play it right, or you want a knuckle samwich?"

I almost hesitate posting these in fear that CT might show up at my door and make me do push ups...

I still...20 years later...have the occasional CT nightmare. I cannot for the life of me remember any direct quotes, probably my psyche protecting itself.

Why not just hold up a sign that tells everyone in the stands you are a moron just in case someone missed that.

True Tale from the Old..... VERY OLD...... Drum Corps Archives.....

Drum Corps used to line up at the end zone line for pre show inspections by an " Inspection Judge ". Judge would check out drums, bugles, uniforms, shoes, shakos, flags, rifles, etc to be certain of uniformity, cleanliness, and member at attention, feet at attention at 45 degree angle, etc and so forth.

The Drum Major of each Corps would accompany the Inspection Judge down the line and the judge would deduct a tenth of a point for each infraction lacking uniformity. The DM would be afforded the opportunity to try and explain any potential infraction to save the tenth penalty ( rarely, if ever it would work with judges though)

One particular day, the inspection judge came upon a member who's shako was clearly tilted to the side and not positioned properly. The judge told the DM.... " Sorry, but that shako is on crooked and I'm going to have to penalize your Corps a tenth here."

The DM, acting quickly and ad libbing replied " Sir, this Marcher has a birth defect. He has a forehead that is curved thru what is called a cerebellum cortex menicascal membrane". I would ask you to be sympathetc here, as his shako is incapable of uniformity "

The Inspection Judge looks at the marcher... looks at the DM..... Looks again at the marcher.... looks back at the DM..... and decides that to be on the safe side, decides to give the Corps a pass, and decides not to penalize the Corps.

But it's not the end of the story. When the Inspection Judge completes the Inspection with that Corps, the DM salutes him and walks back down the line. When the DM gets down the line, the marchers in that area all break out laughing as they want to let him know that their DM pulled off a real doozie with that Judge. But the judge was within hearing distance, and saw and heard the giggles, and was not too pleased.

Later that Summer, that same Inspection Judge came to inspect the Corps again. This time, the Inspection Judge went only 3 members down the line, and said he saw a loose thread hanging down on one of the Flags a marcher had and was going to give the Corps a tenth of a point penalty.. The DM began to open his mouth to say something and the Inspection Judge quickly said to the DM... " I suggest that you don't you even ATTEMPT to say a word here, Drum Major". The DM just as quickly shut his trap and thought it best not to push his luck any further with this judge....... Years later, both the judge and that Corps former DM used to rib one another about these Inspections when they'd see one another at shows and Drum Corps functions.

Edited by BRASSO

Not an entirely different rant from what you would hear from any other staff member but what was shot back from a marching member. staff-"Contras, you are too loud!"

member-" And you are too fat!"