9/11 Tribute on DCP

I was sitting in Earth Science my freshmen year of high school taking a test and the teacher let us listen to the radio during the test for some reason. We didn't believe it when they first announced it, but then went to next class and saw it all on TV. I remember it like it was yesterday.

Great slideshow.

Thank you for this tribute.

I was a senior in high school on this day seven years ago. I was going to class when the class clown at our school had yelled in the hallway that a plane had crashed into one of the Twin Towers. Naturally, nobody took him seriously. But after getting to class I learned that it was true. One vivid memory that I have from that day was going outside and noticing how quiet it was, especially with there being no planes flying in the air that day.

Let us remember the victims in New York City, Washington DC, and Pennsylvania on this day. May we Never Walk Alone-May We Never Forget.

From my blog....

I remember being at home waiting for a delivery and watching the first plane hit the first tower and knowing at that point we were under attack. I recall the sickening feeling in my stomach as the day progressed. I remember the following weeks and the waves of inexplicable emotional responses to the funerals and memorials. However what I remember the most is how we as a nation are so capable of setting aside our differences in a time of crisis and pulling together as one. We are so diverse and individual and yet we all have a common bond in our love for this great country of ours.

Today I was poignantly reminded of a story I witnessed which swept me with waves of emotions from tears to goosebumps. That was the post 9-11 World Series. Now all you Bush haters can tune out now if you want, but if he did anything right while in the White House this was one of them. Now this was probably one of the finest series of baseball I have ever witnessed. The Yankees showed more heart than any other team I had ever seen. Nobody really remembers who won that series what was memorable was how hard the Yankees fought back late in the game every night. It went all seven games. Now back to Bush. Here we are it is less than a month after 9-11 and the President takes the mound to throw out the first pitch. The crowd is chanting USA..USA...USA.. Rumor has it Derek Jeter told the President that if he did not throw a strike the Yankee fans would boo him. :-) The President takes the mound and the moment becomes more than just the traditional first pitch. It is the biggest FU we could send to the terrorists. It is us saying we will carry on, and you will not divert us from our path. Well I'll be ###### if that ######## doesn't just hurl a heavy handed split fingered fast ball right over the effing plate. He throws a strike and a pretty darn good one at that. The crowd just erupts in cheers.

That series was more than just a bunch of grown men throwing around balls and hitting them with sticks. For a moment in time baseball transcended from being a simple game, and became a national diversion from our pain. It was a reminder that life goes on, and that we will continue to thrive as a nation. I remember.....

I was sitting in an American History class Junior year in high school. They turned all of the TVs in school to CNN after the first tower was hit. We were all absolutely dumbfounded. Being fairly close to NYC many people I know had family and loved ones in the City. It was scary seeing our country being attacked and so near by. I will never forget that day as long as I live, and will never forget all of the brave men and women who give their lives every day for this country. Thank you DCP for a wonderful tribute. Well done.

I was on my way to Music Theory as a freshman at IU. I remember stopping by the front desk of my dorm hall to staple some papers together, and the radio was just reporting the crash of the first plane. The second plane crashed while I was in class, and the towers fell shortly thereafter. It didn't seem real at first, but the news definitely sunk in as the day went on, and that was the case for the entire campus. I remember all the rest of my classes were cancelled that day, one professor who commuted from Indianapolis e-mailed to say he didn't feel safe on the roads.

As a Brit who has developed a wonderful life here in the USA please know that you are not alone as you remember the senseless violence of 9/11. We, who hail from other nations, are often no strangers to terrorism and the affects of such on our daily lives. (I was a few short minutes from an IRA bombing in London when I was a teenager.) Most of the world will share your pain tomorrow. Take care and know you are not alone.

Alan.

Just a brief recollection from that day ....

I arrived at London's Heathrow Airport on the morning of Sept 11, 2001 for a 2-week business trip in the UK - just a few hours before the first plane was taken. I was very thankful to be safe, especially while watching the unfolding events in horror from my hotel along the Bath Road with friends and colleagues from the UK, who'd come to the hotel to make sure I was fine. I'd always had a special affinity for my UK 'mates' and their families ... but by the end of that week, I had a new level of admiration and love for the people of England. If I had to be away from my home and family during that trying time - I couldn't think of a better, safer, more-supportive place to be.

I'll never forget the outpouring of love, sympathy, and raw human compassion that I felt that week in London and the surrounding area for the American people.

Thank you to our friends in the UK for being there when we needed them.

May we never forget ...

(moved from Customer Service Forum)

If you haven't heard Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings, look it up. Played many times in tribute to 9/11.

*edit*

(To add a little drum corps in it)

I could have it all wrong, but the melody sounds an awful lot like one of SCV's warm-ups.

Edited by PhantomRPhan

If you haven't heard Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings, look it up. Played many times in tribute to 9/11.

*edit*

I could have it all wrong, but the melody sounds an awful lot like one of SCV's warm-ups.

SCV played an arrangement of the choral version of Adagio in 2000.

*edit*

SCV played it in 2000 (or around there).