The top 4 in 2008 finals

En929

I was wondering how many of you were at the drum corp. 2008 finals? I was there, and I was wondering after seeing the performance, who thought that the top 4 should have actually ran down as follows:

1. Cavaliers

2. Blue Devils

3. Phantom Regiment

4. Carolina Crown

Everybody that I was around was saying the same thing, that the top 4 should have been arranged like this.

I'll second this. I thought Cavies had an electric performance that night - it had you clapping, ooh-ahhing all the way to the end. I knew their performance captions weren't as high as BD or Phantom's but i was thinking their GE would put them on top.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was MUCH MORE noticeable dirt in Phantom's feet and drill cohesion.

Yes, and this was reflected on the recaps. Those recaps also placed four percussion sections above BD, with nearly a full point spread between BD and high percussion Phantom. What's your point?

Just cuz you speak from experience... :smile::thumbup:

Well I just meant that the defending champ has to deal with a bit more criticism during the off-season than they would garner otherwise, whether it's from people who are just trying to be "edgy" or if it's from people who genuinely felt their corps got screwed by the judges, etc., etc.

The Phantom people can handle it, I'm sure; it's just a bit striking to see that sort of criticism pointed in their direction for once.

This was one of those years where I loved the top 12 shows so much, I really didn't care what rank they finished. BD's performance level was through the roof, and I liked their visual and music programs more than any other BD show since 2000. Crown was just awesome.

And Phantom put out my favorite brass and percussion books of the past 10 years, period. I didn't care much about the theatricality. The music did it for me.

Can't wait to get this year's DVDs and CDs.

nope, i think the results were right on.

bd and phantom couldn't have been closer finals night, I actually thought phantom was much better than BD in semi's tho.

I'm not sure how they could have been much closer... :thumbup:

Regardless...I honestly think BD got a gift this year. Not a popular opinion, sure, I'll take the flack, but I thought that show was incredibly gimmicky, and didn't have the demand of the other top 4. It really was lacking in visual and music...and demand when compared to the others. I don't know, maybe they lost me when they put Sweeney Todd anywhere near their rep., that was an abysmal movie.

I honestly think this was the weakest year for BD show design in a LONG time (worse than 2005). They have great performers, lord knows why they choose to throw away that talent like that. It's like watching a well performed WGI show...without any 'wow' moments.

Of course, this is pure opinion, and I promise I'm not a super negative person - normally I really really enjoy BD shows.

Edited by raphael18

Regardless...I honestly think BD got a gift this year. Not a popular opinion, sure, I'll take the flack, but I thought that show was incredibly gimmicky, and didn't have the demand of the other top 4. It really was lacking in visual and music...and demand when compared to the others. I don't know, maybe they lost me when they put Sweeney Todd anywhere near their rep., that was an abysmal movie.

I honestly think this was the weakest year for BD show design in a LONG time (worse than 2005). They have great performers, lord knows why they choose to throw away that talent like that. It's like watching a well performed WGI show...without any 'wow' moments.

Of course, this is pure opinion, and I promise I'm not a super negative person - normally I really really enjoy BD shows.

Maybe the Blue Devils just perform so good it looks easy :smile:

I love Blue Devils, but Scott Chandlers choices in shows don't do it for me. To WGI-ish for me.

Anyway my choices would be:

1. Blue Devils

2. Phantom Regiment

3. The Cavaliers

4. The Cadets

Edited by no_itsnotadash

REALLY?? I've never seen the movie, and the show made more sense than any other story-line show I've seen...

Yeah, I'm with you general. I didn't need anything to tell me what was going one. SO far in this thread I've had people tell me (us) I'll (we'll) see that BD WON when I (we) watch the DVDs and now People are telling me (us) I (we) can't follow a story line without having seen what it's about before hand. Give me a break. :thumbup:

I'm hoping that this year was a bit of a call to the traditionally stronger corps to get away from the overtly artsy show design and just put out a show that the masses can get behind. I know each corps has it's own identity, but it's painful to watch some of these upper tier corps in the past few years. Nobody can deny that these groups are phenomenal from a performance stand point, but shows like Phantom, Crown, and the like are what the masses want. Since this is an entertainment industry, I'm hoping that the judges decision this year will get other corps going in the direction of playing to their fan base again. It really would be the best thing for the health of the activity.