hazing/misconduct

2 hours ago, BradF said:

Of course we are always looking for issues and trying to head things off before little things become big. Our entire staff is instructed to report if they know or even suspect there is a member in distress.

The point is sometimes someone can be having an issue that is not apparent. They don't have to suffer in silence. 

It would seem that a lot of what the member experienced would be hard for instructors & management not to see or be aware of

• Like 2

Note to posters... thread about the band was originally started almost 10 years ago..... the corps portion is the current bit

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Note to posters... thread about the band was originally started almost 10 years ago..... the corps portion is the current bit

Was thinking this too. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Yes.  It has to be someone who is absolutely independent and they are comfortable with sharing.  This is very tough for young people.  They feel isolated and alone.  Even not so young people experience this feeling of isolation.  

Someone needs to be their voice. .

Yes, something like a union representative. I heard Star 93 members went on strike one day, is that true?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

My apologies, I thought one of DCP's rules when creating a topic was to make sure there wasn't another topic already covering a similar subject.  Again my apologies for the confusion.  

I do want to say that I did have a lot of excellent instructors. Chad Pence pushed us very hard and had high expectations, but led us to new heights and wasn't cruel. Derek Gipson is a sweetheart. Christen Juel, Chris Frick and Justin Heimbecker were great and respectful instructors/techs. Mike Fanning was probably my favorite instructor in my 3 years.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

My apologies, I thought one of DCP's rules when creating a topic was to make sure there wasn't another topic already covering a similar subject.  Again my apologies for the confusion.  

No confusion on your end, I was referring to another poster or posters who might have missed the time lag. Sorry for my confusion. Actually thought it was a great tie in. No problem with your posts

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, FTNK said:

I do want to say that I did have a lot of excellent instructors. Chad Pence pushed us very hard and had high expectations, but led us to new heights and wasn't cruel. Derek Gipson is a sweetheart. Christen Juel, Chris Frick and Justin Heimbecker were great and respectful instructors/techs. Mike Fanning was probably my favorite instructor in my 3 years.

you were taught by some of the best. Look where they are today.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, FTNK said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/drumcorps/comments/91e03h/some_things_off_my_chest_reposted/

My first reaction was "yea this was par for the course when I marched (2004-2005 Capital Regiment, 2006 Cadets)" Maybe not the most extreme stuff, but a lot of it. Especially at Cap Reg we were constantly berated as a corps by the drum caption head and told "there's no crying in drum corps." My rookie year I was next to the same guy for a lot of the show, and every mistake I made he would scream "YOU ####### ######!" Also in 2004 we had a tuba who had a bad attitude, and the rest of the hornline attacked him with mouthpieces in socks, Full Metal Jacket style. The admin at least put an end to that. In 2005 we had a trumpet who struggled and the snareline dumped Gold Bond on him in the shower. Hopkins constantly told us we were the worst Cadets he'd ever seen, and in general whether you were healthy enough to march a show was the caption head's decision, not yours. We had a lot of Latinos in 2006 and Sully would yell racist things like "your head is bobbing around like you're going to the ####in' taco stand." 

The point is that this was all considered normal

One redditor summed up my thoughts exactly: "the older I get the more I want to distance myself from the activity."

I have a tough time reading that reddit OP. 

And as you pointed out "the older I get the more I want to distance myself from the activity." I feel that way about DCI most of the time now , mainly because I am the old get off my lawn guy. reading that post made me feel a bit younger and that I would like to tell off the people who treated the kid that way. 

Many things I would like to say in the reddit thread but will just post it here. 

Im from the Deep Deep South and for some wild crazy decision (after seeing an add in drum corps world news paper) to try and join the Boston Crusaders. Many people that I knew including my best friend marched drum corps but they were with other corps skyriders / spirit of atlanta / Garfield. Everyone told me Boston was a tough corps and that I should probably think about my decision but I was dead set to join and I did along with another friend. 

Boston being a tough corps there were rookie things that had to be done. But never once did anyone in Boston treat my friend and I the way I was reading that posting. We were treated like family because Crusaders always stick together. It was a learning experience and I admire every person on staff there and the people we marched with. I was dirt poor and had to work in order to live and march. Times were much different. But my friend and I were from a world that was so different than Boston and yet the Crusaders allowed us to march and treated us well. 

Back in those days the Drum Major took care of every member. The blue stars seemed to have their priorities mixed up a bit. 

It is hard to understand the "alternate" marching spots that is mentioned in the reddit post. Im just too old and the concept of having someone audition and pay but never get to march seems like a rip off. 

Think about it as a parent and you have ideas that you would like for your boy or girl to march. You read something like that. I would have had a little talk with the staff / director etc if it would have been my child. 

• Like 5