DO NOT PLAY LIST.

Looking at CorpsReps, I see Colts (91-93), Lone Star (98), Jubal (02), Mon Valley Express (04-05), and Grennies (06).....12 seperate compositions listed.

Indeed. . . I arranged "Brain Dead Weasel", "Shock" and "A Thousand Summers" for the Colts from the years 1991 - 1993.

John Tesh personally signed the permission request. No charge. He wanted his music heard.

That is probably one of the things not brought up in the thread so far (haven't finished it yet). . .

Composers aren't necessarily being arrogant when they want something near and dear to their hearts to be heard the way they envisioned it. They created something that has never before existed. Who are we to demand that they let us systematically deconstruct their music and play it the way WE want? They owe drum corps and marching band nothing.

It is not their chosen medium.

Furthermore, they don't need our help. They do just fine making a living off what they do -- they don't need the exposure, the minuscule royalty payments or someone mangling their music. That's not arrogance.

That's no different than any of us creating a painting, a poem, a short story, a film or any other creative pursuit, and then giving permission to go ahead and cut it up however you like. It is not ours to do with as we please. They created it. They can say how they want it presented.

I've been in that position before. . . and I would not grant anyone permission ever again to rearrange something I composed. The composer's name is still on the product, and a reputation doesn't need to be damaged by someone who's only care in the world is to "use" and idea to further their own misadventures.

Perhaps if we were really all so good at what we do, we'd create our own music instead of constantly appropriating the work of others.

:satisfied:

Maybe one day that will happen. There is enough talent in our activity to do it (but is there enough extrinsic motivation?) Composition is a lot of work in terms of "time".

Hmmm. . .

Just thoughts.

Chuck Naffier

Edited by man of the ages
  • Like 1

Arrogant composers who really don't care about anything else except how they want their music to be heard.

Well, to be honest, and a little blunt (no, not the smoking kind), in recent years there have been more than a few drumcorps that have absolutely BUTCHERED some composer's works. I feel comfortable saying that because I was involved with teaching two different corps that either didn't like what we did, or that I hope never got to hear how their piece mutated radically during the season. For instance, I wouldn't be surprised if Frank Tichelli's music was on the "Don't bother to even ask" list, given what one corps I worked with did to "Blue Shades". I wasn't embarrassed by the kid's performance, but by what a certain person did, supposedly for "cleaning purposes" or "GE purposes". Interestingly enough, this same person is responsible for the ultra-strict rules that the people who handle Bernstein's music have for marching bands and drumcorps asking for copyright permission.

Knowing my state of mind at the time I posted that last year I was very angry at something....

So yeah, that is not my feelings at all. Being an amateur composer myself, I would personally love to get my stuff out there through any medium... if I were a more established composer I probably would be less willing. It would depend on the work... and many other things (publisher and stuff I guess). My "they are too arrogant" post does not represent my actual view on all of this at all.

And I agree with just about everything Chuck just posted.

Edited by kickhaltsforlife

And, let's face it, there are a lot of things that are wonderful pieces of music, but just don't translate well to drumcorps instrumentation and format. Say, like John Cage's 4'33"...

Corps play abridged versions of 4'33" all the time, and they never credit Cage.

Corps play abridged versions of 4'33" all the time, and they never credit Cage.

INT plays it every year.

In relation to this thread, I see on corpsreps that Robert Sheldon has only been played three times. Corps should do more of his stuff.

Being an amateur composer myself, I would personally love to get my stuff out there through any medium...

So if you wrote a very lush gorgeous orchestral composition you would gladly give an arranger permission to arrange a cheesy boom-smack disco "hooked-on" version of that composition?

are a lot of these composers just charging drum corps too much or not want corps playing arrangements of their works?

Because as recently as this fall, I've heard some of the so called "restricted" music played by high schools including "Childrens Garden of Dreams," "Star Trek," "Duel of the Fates" and many many others. What is it that drum corps arrangers have done to upset these composers so much as to not allow their pieces in DCI but to allow them in high school marching band?

So if you wrote a very lush gorgeous orchestral composition you would gladly give an arranger permission to arrange a cheesy boom-smack disco "hooked-on" version of that composition?

Howard Shire did a version of Night on Bald Mountain that was a "disco" version....

http://www.whosampled.com/sample/view/197/...ald%20Mountain/

Composers aren't necessarily being arrogant when they want something near and dear to their hearts to be heard the way they envisioned it. They created something that has never before existed. Who are we to demand that they let us systematically deconstruct their music and play it the way WE want? They owe drum corps and marching band nothing.

Especially with many of the egregious arrangements being done in the last few years.

"Hi. I'm the arranger for {insert corps name here}. We loved your piece and would love to play it on the field... but only 6 seconds of the melody and then tag in snippets of 'cool' rhythms that have nothing to do with your music for the other 10 minutes of the show."

As far as drum corps goes, I'm fine with all of these never hitting the field.

I'm pretty sure that Pioneer did Riverdance in the 90's. Pirates of the Caribbean was done by the 2004 Magic of Orlando - although it was horribly butchered in it's arrangement.