DO NOT PLAY LIST.

You CAN do Johan de Meij........you will just be charged an arm and a leg to do it. Jay Bocook has an arrangement of his Lord of the Rings Symphony you can find on JW Pepper.

John Tesh has not allowed others to use his work. Like he has anything to protect!!! :happy:

And I'll bet Yanni is a no no, too! His stuff would be awesome with real instruments and a great drum line. No - really. It would. I can hear it in my head! C'mon, youdon't believe me? Yes! Yanni! I'm not kidding… have you ever heard his stuff? It's mind boggling I'll bet SV or Phantom would rock that sound into the dirt! OK, maybe it's more the Cadets style - how long do you think I can keep this up? I'll bet one other person will agree, just watch!

Puppet

Johan De Meij

OOOP! I was wondering why the Glassmen didn't pull some stuff from Madurodam in 08! :happy:

Not to throw total flamebait out here, but it's definitely interesting to see that the list of "do not use music", with the exception of a few overprotective estates, is mostly film, band, and pop composers, all of pretty uneven output.

Folks like Adams, Corigliano, Danielpour, Higdon, Rouse, and their ilk- the ones actually being commissioned by major orchestras- seem to be just fine with their music being used. I wonder if it is just a coincidence.

Well, I think some of it might be in response to years of people just using whatever they wanted without getting permission; John Williams of course would have been a major target in that since he's written so much familiar music, and drum corps were especially bad about it in years past.

When was this? Scouts played one of his songs in '07.

Just to set the record straight, Led Zepplin is not a he, they're a they. :tongue:

Well some of my experience has been with lesser known composers, mostly in rock/pop. Interestingly enough, the composers (the band members) were all for a group I was with using their original song for an indoor drumline, and even allowing us to arrange it however we wished and offering to help with the arrangement, they were very intrigued, however, it was their management team (agent, lawyers and producer-representing the record label) that put a kibosh on it. We could use the work and even allow the composers to participate if:

1. We paid fees out the ying yang to everyone

2. only used their production people to record/video (would be very hard to convince a circuit to use a particular company that does not have the resources to accomplish recording for indoor drumlines)

3. We gave up all rights to the finished arrangement, sending it back to them and could sell it at their discretion to anyone they choose

4. after the last performance of the year (we had to submit a list of performances) we could not use that work again unless we paid more fees.

So while perhaps some more well known composers protect there intelectual property, some of my experience has been that it is out of the composers hands. To say that this group needs a new manager would be an understatement, basically they are completely out of the loop if they ever leave the company they are with, something in the fine print of their contractual agreement that allows the production team to "own" the compositions/songs if they ever depart company.

Well some of my experience has been with lesser known composers, mostly in rock/pop. Interestingly enough, the composers (the band members) were all for a group I was with using their original song for an indoor drumline, and even allowing us to arrange it however we wished and offering to help with the arrangement, they were very intrigued, however, it was their management team (agent, lawyers and producer-representing the record label) that put a kibosh on it. We could use the work and even allow the composers to participate if:

1. We paid fees out the ying yang to everyone

2. only used their production people to record/video (would be very hard to convince a circuit to use a particular company that does not have the resources to accomplish recording for indoor drumlines)

3. We gave up all rights to the finished arrangement, sending it back to them and could sell it at their discretion to anyone they choose

4. after the last performance of the year (we had to submit a list of performances) we could not use that work again unless we paid more fees.

So while perhaps some more well known composers protect there intelectual property, some of my experience has been that it is out of the composers hands. To say that this group needs a new manager would be an understatement, basically they are completely out of the loop if they ever leave the company they are with, something in the fine print of their contractual agreement that allows the production team to "own" the compositions/songs if they ever depart company.

360 licensing deals (where the company gets partial ownership to the IP and all subsidiary rights) are becoming the norm in the music business. Profit margins are so low, due to electronic distribution, that the record companies are looking for new ways of increasing their revenue streams when they back an artist.

Most of the best music being made these days never hits radio stations, or large scale corporate distribution. Grass roots music efforts that get viral distribution is where the innovation is going to come from.

I don't think this new paradigm with the record companies is going to make things easier for corps to get performance rights ... But drum corps is such an infinitesimally small part of the music business revenue stream that it shouldn't really come as a surprise to anyone.

This information is specific to Canada and may not be related to drum corp but I'm an executive of a BofD for a community hall. We were recently informed that DJ music at a birthday party inside the hall needs to be covered. We're in the process of sending an annual fee to SOCAN.

This information is specific to Canada and may not be related to drum corp but I'm an executive of a BofD for a community hall. We were recently informed that DJ music at a birthday party inside the hall needs to be covered. We're in the process of sending an annual fee to SOCAN.

At my office, because we play background music we have had to obtain a license from SOCAN for the past few years. When I was speaking to their representitive I was informed of the following.

Because the music comes from the business (also called the "House") then a license was required to play recorded music. However if there was no "house" music and the only time music was played was if a DJ who has their own set up (i.e. not plugging into the "house" system) then it was the responsibility of the DJ to provide his license to the House, the DJ must be able to produce the license if asked by authorities...(btw, who would be the authorities.....the music police????????) but as long as the two were always seperate entities, then the "house" did not require the SOCAN license. This however is in total contradiction to the explanation I was given to the local service club I belong to in our hall, so now I am really confused......