DO NOT PLAY LIST.

See, this I don't understand, because if I was a composer, the question of how I want my music to be heard would be best answered, "as often as possible!".

That is how I feel.

Whatever their motivation is, I believe they should be respected for however they see fit to make their music public.

There's lots of other music out there to choose.

If any corps wants to play my music, they've got it!

michaelboo.com

I agree, I do respect that it is their property, and have a right. I respect their right. I don't agree with them though. And if I really want the rights to do something, I will gladly pay the copyright holder. I'm not saying just let everyone have your music, just be a little less strict with it. Most drum corps do a pretty **** good job at making arrangements that are new and fresh, but still compliment the original.

In the end, it is the composers right. I will still not agree.

Led Zepp is a definite no no

then how did 2 DCA corps use Stairway recently?

Yeah....Maslanka is a serious no-no. I was on the premier recording of "A Child's Garden Of Dreams" with the UMass Wind Ensemble back in 88-89. I got to meet the cat....really eccentric. Lives up in a cabin in Montana.

Yeah, he really is quite the weirdo.

It's too bad..

I have heard that Disney music is difficult to get rights to.

Also, Michael, can you see the SCV website?? "Santa Clara Vanguard proudly presents their 1020 season , "BOO".

I'd never even HEARD of Chuck Mangione until BD captured the World Open title back in 75'. They gave that guy a boost and a half.

I can't begin to count the amount of music I would never have heard if it weren't for drum corps or marching band. So to me it is hard to understand why so many composers can be so stingy. Yes, fine, they should be payed for their intellectual property, I wouldn't suggest otherwise. But to not allow your music to be played (or arranged) at all, or to charge rediculous fees in order to inhibit someone from affording the rights to it doesn't make any sense to me. I would be flattered if I was in that position. And it is a shame that John Williams is that way, I LOVE John Williams's music and would love to hear more of it on the field.

Stephen Melillo is a not play...at least Stormworks is.

"No play or pay":

I understand David Seville and the "Chipmunks" are off limits. :tongue:

Elphaba

I can't begin to count the amount of music I would never have heard if it weren't for drum corps or marching band. So to me it is hard to understand why so many composers can be so stingy. Yes, fine, they should be payed for their intellectual property, I wouldn't suggest otherwise. But to not allow your music to be played (or arranged) at all, or to charge rediculous fees in order to inhibit someone from affording the rights to it doesn't make any sense to me. I would be flattered if I was in that position. And it is a shame that John Williams is that way, I LOVE John Williams's music and would love to hear more of it on the field.

Well, we think arranging the music for marching/music purposes is just fine. The composers of the music who refuse to permit it to be used don't necessarily agree. They see it as painting a moustache on the Mona Lisa or something. They lose control of their creation when someone else is doing who-knows-what to it. I don't blame someone who thinks that way...it's their creation, after all.

We paid for rights to two pieces with the band I arrange for this fall. One composer charged us $400; the other only $39.

Well, we think arranging the music for marching/music purposes is just fine. The composers of the music who refuse to permit it to be used don't necessarily agree. They see it as painting a moustache on the Mona Lisa or something. They lose control of their creation when someone else is doing who-knows-what to it. I don't blame someone who thinks that way...it's their creation, after all.

We paid for rights to two pieces with the band I arrange for this fall. One composer charged us $400; the other only $39.

Jeez....when I was putting Nightfire's first plannes show together in 94, we were going to do a Stan Kenton chart -- "23 Degrees North, 82 Degrees West"...and the only "fee" we were charged was a request that the actual composer's name be listed as "William Russo" and not "Bill Russo"

Times have changed, it seems...