Spirit Announces 2009 Program

As of yet this is my most anticipated show of 2008 and is pretty much the exact thing I'm looking for for a Spirit show.

2008 will be long gone in 40 days!

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think we need more popular music in drum corps. Especially from the last 10 or 15 years. Most of it does not translate. It's hard to take a 3 or 4 piece rock song and fill out a full drum corps arrangement. It's even harder with hip-hop/ pop music which is basically a drum loop and a 4 second sample. There are certain genres that just don't work. There are exceptions, like say 'Hide and seek' by Imogen Heap (Personally, I thought Spirit's arrangement was a huge fail, but I have high expectations since that is probably my favorite song of all time) or maybe 'Black Parade' by MCR that have enough depth to support bigger arrangements In general however, you will either arrange them to death, in which case they are not recognizable (like the Bluecoats version of 'I'll be watching you') or tremendously weak. One of the few succesful examples I can think of is the Renegade's 'My Immortal' by Evanesence.

As for Kansas specifically, I was underwhelmed by the Renegade's 'Dust in the Wind' (and Key Poulan is one of the best in the brass arranging game) We did 'Magnum Opus' as an indoor show a couple of years ago, but I don't think that would work nearly as well on the field. Anyway, here's hoping that they will make it work.

However, I am a huge fan of Jethro Tull and really disliked the Cadets 2004 take on their music,. One of my all time favorite groups is The Moody Blues, esp the Days of Future Passed album (it's in my car's CD player right now), yet I was underwhelmed with the Glassmen's 1994 show using that music. Those plus other recent pop tunes played the Crossmen makes me leery...though Crown's amazing take on Bohemian Rhapsody balances that off.

I am waiting for one of the top dogs to do a Pink Floyd show. There is A LOT of depth that is sorely lacking in today's popular music (with some exceptions).

Spirit Announces 2009 Program

Written by Joel Vincent

In seeking to recapture to the true essence of Spirit, traditionally known for their high energy, unique approach, and fan-friendly programs, the Jacksonville, Alabama based corps has announced the musical source for their 2009 program.

In describing the 2009 program, Executive Director Joel Vincent states, “Sometimes in trying to capture the past, we have to realize we are operating in the present and not try to repeat what cannot be repeated. Instead, we need to concentrate on the ingredients that shaped our past and use those tools to help determine our future. Those are the threads that guided us as we approached the ’09 program. Mark Waymire and the design team have done a great job in finding the right vehicle for us to tell our drum corps story and to present it in a high-energy, contemporary Spirit way. The genre we have chosen is wide open for exploration and with the creative genius of brass arranger Scott Boerma as well as, percussion arrangers Shane Gwaltney and Eric Willie I know we have found a musical format which will energize our creative process as well as excite members and fans.”

In 2009 Spirit will explore the music of one of America’s premier progressive-rock groups, KANSAS as the corps returns to a hard driving, high energy sound that fans have loved for years. The music of KANSAS presents a strong body of work that is sometimes complex, yet always accessible making it an outstanding choice for drum corps in this era as we expand our craft without forgetting the fans. With the group’s first album released in 1974 their music was always considered to be “ahead of its time”. Anchored by their classic hits, “Carry on Wayward Son”, “Dust in the Wind”, and “Point of Know Return”, KANSAS has produced over thirty years of outstanding work.

“If ever a group has expressed a true marriage of rock music and original art music, it is the progressive offerings of KANSAS.” Grammophone.

We invite you to journey with Spirit as we explore the music of, KANSAS.

http://www.spiritdrumcorps.org/

OH MY FRIKEN GOD! I swear I just jumped out of my chair. You all rock! I am not even going to read anymore of this thread, cause I know what is going to happen, all the naysayers in band world that do nothing but complain are going to give the thumbs down. TYPICAL! I give a big hell yea- GO SPIRIT! I will be buying your souvies this year- I just might donate some money- You all just made my DAY!- I told you, you freaks. This is classic. YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jason- 2009 MADISON SCOUTS RULE! Bring it!

One other thing, if you are not familiar with the music of KANSAS, then perhaps you should educate yourself in the music before making a blanket statement about the show idea. I was not a big fan of the group, but after the initial mention of using this music for a show, I quickly began to listen to more of it. The more I listened to, the more I enjoyed what I heard and the more excited I got about the potential of this show. I am sure that there is a great deal of thought that goes into any design of a show before an announcement is made. I don't think that any corps will realistically go into a design meeting trying to intentionally diminish the corps stature, placement or potential recruiting base.

With as many quality bands that have put out sophisticated music in the Rock Genre, there is a wealth of music that has yet to be realized in the drum corps arena. Some of the current "popular" music groups do not lend themselves to performances because they were somewhat studio driven in that the sounds and instruments can only be recreated through electronics. Groups of the 1970's used electronics to a degree, but the main thing to realize is that the MUSIC, MUSICIANS and MUSICIANSHIP is what made the tunes memorable, not the gimmicks or media driven hype. Look at what happened to Disco music of the later 70's. The era ended pretty quickly. Although there were some "hits" for various artists of the genre, that particular type of music had lived its life. There are plenty of artists in this day and age that will go on to make substantial contributions to music. Who knows there may be a drum corps that will dive into an artist (or band) and elect to perform their music and bring it to the field.

The bands like Rush, Styx, Boston, Living Colour, King Crimson amongst others have provided some memorable music. The drum corps world is ready for a resurgence of melody, harmony, familiarity, likability, accessibility and programming that were staples of some of the most beloved drum corps shows in history. Wind Band music, Orchestral music and Jazz are all viable forms of music, why cant we include Rock into the discussion and make it work?

Just because one drum corps did the music of Kansas and was not successful with it does not mean that it can't work. It is unfortunate that some veterans of Northern Aurora had posted their bad memories of their production in the early 90's. There may have been reasons for the measured success of the show.

I encourage all of you that read this thread to think about what it is you want the potential members of Spirit to read before you write something on the thread. I am by no means wanting to monitor your discussion. This is a free country, but some potential members will be swayed (one way or another) to what is written. To make things fair, lets let potential members come to their own conclusions about the CORPS, not the SHOW.

One other thing to consider is this. Royalties and performance rights for music have gone up considerably in the recent past making some music almost incapable of being performed unless you can pay the price for the performance rights (not to mention the copyright for an arrangement). This is costly and makes musical selection that much more of a challenge. When this happens, the potential broad scope of music to select from become a bit more narrow. Some composers, artists, groups, artist agencies and "estates" make it very difficult for groups to perform, much less arrange music for the field. Those that can do so by means of money being spent on this aspect of the activity. It is a way for the integrity of the music to remain while giving the arranger/composer license to do with the music what they will. If you are interested, look up ASCAP or BMI for performance rights fees and the like for more information.

In Spirit,

RV

Quote: "Some of the current "popular" music groups do not lend themselves to performances because they were somewhat studio driven in that the sounds and instruments can only be recreated through electronics."

Hmmmm, then those music groups should probably fit right in with where the drum corps activity is headed. LOL!

Quote: "Some of the current "popular" music groups do not lend themselves to performances because they were somewhat studio driven in that the sounds and instruments can only be recreated through electronics."

Hmmmm, then those music groups should probably fit right in with where the drum corps activity is headed. LOL!

ouch

lol

Kansas? Isn't there someone a little more... relevant... that Spirit could have opted for? I wonder what the average age is of those that are cheering this decision. i don't blame those who have had trouble getting in to the last couple Spirit shows (FWIW I did like last year's product), but how much appeal is a Kansas show going to have in DCI circa 2009? None for me, I'm afraid.