Best 2nd Place Show?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I would like to say '87 or '98 SCV or '89 Regiment my logical side know that the correct answer has to be...

'93 Star

I quietly rooted against them all year, because I was young and ignorant. I never boo'd but I was happy Cadets won. Now that I am definitely older and hopefully wiser I can comfortably say that was as good a corps as I've ever seen.

So. '93 Star.

Again, lots of amazing shows here to pick from, however, here is my short list and then final pick:

- 1979 Phantom Regiment: Pure power and majesty, and Elsa's Procession

- 1984 Blue Devils: La Fiesta, a la Maynard Ferguson, and what a hornline

- 1987 Santa Clara Vanguard: The front runner all season and one of the great shows of all time

- 1989 Phantom Regiment: Dvorak 9 played like never before for field, riveting and powerful

- 1992 Cadets: To Tame The Perilous Skies, could have easily won finals night, and many thought they did

- 1995 Cadets: Perhaps my favorite Cadets show of all, with Swing, Swing, Swing as a highlight

- 2001 Cadets: Maybe the best horn line we have heard in the 2000s and a top notch percussion line, oh and great charts with the classic whiplash Cadets ending

- 2006 Phantom Regiment: Some beautiful moments and what a dramatic story brought to life

They are all worthy. Many of these corps lost heartbreakers to the top corps, and in many cases had a few things gone their way they could have easily won. The Blue Devils in 1984 were just sheer power and entertainment. Phantom Regiment in 1979 and 1989 gave the crowd chills and pure power, and the Cadets 1992 show was a serious comeback story, having been in 6th place around the mid-season mark. The 1995 Cadets might have been one of the more proficient corps of this bunch, with stellar execution of highly demanding music and drill and one heck of an entertaining show, and Phantom's 06 show stole the show at finals.

But there is one winner, and that is Santa Clara Vanguard 1987. Folks, I know many of you may not have seen them, but they finished a close second place to a corps (Cadets/Garfield) who put out one of the best shows of all time (in my book it still is, 87 Appalachian Spring). They were a front runner most of the summer, with them and Cadets running neck 'n' neck. SCV's 87 show was sheer energy, amazement, power, precision, and still stands the test of time in terms of entertainment and demand.

The best 2nd place show I ever saw: SCV 1987

2006 Phantom: perfect plotline, awesome execution and they rocked finals. possibly my all time favorite.

Star 1993

I know you're going to think I'm just a fan but I've got real reasons for this pick.

By 1993 Star of Indiana was pretty much the only drum corps in the finals who had year after year "thrown the baby out with the bath water." While other corps were dipping their toes into the frigid waters, they went full Polar Bear. To an old fart, the 1993 show was breathtaking in it's newness, innovation, startling visual aspects and most important overall the stunning ability to play "against the grain."

It was truly the first time I didn't feel the music was in some way 'bent' to fit the visual show. The new uniforms seemed to enhance the movements of the participants and never got in the way of the performance at any time - a testament to the designers and staff.

And here's something else to consider: When you play music by both Bartok and Barber with all the intensity and dissonances involved and required by those two composers with verve and the unabashed anger that they did, you're doing something awesome!

And that show, they did!

In fact, the pieces from Barber's Medea; Dance of Vengence, Kantikos Agonias and Parados weren't even attempted by any other Drum Corp during the rest of the 20th Century.

1993 Star! My pick. The epitome of Drum Corps of the time.

Puppet

- 1984 Blue Devils: La Fiesta, a la Maynard Ferguson, and what a hornline

<snip>

The Blue Devils in 1984 were just sheer power and entertainment.

Thank you...even after all these years, I still get a warm fuzzy whenever someone praises my show.

Especially since 84 seems to be the red-headed step-child of BD....I have NEVER seen a single reference to the 84 show in any BD publicity or feature...not even a single frame in the 50th anniversary retrospective. Urgh.

That being said....my vote is for (duh) Blue Devils 1984.

Had I not marched a 2nd place corps, however, it would be REALLY tough...there are so many deserving shows...87 SCV, 88 SCV, 89 Regiment, 92 Cadets, 06 Regiment....

#1 is going to be a bloodbath...