Anyone ever march BOTH?

Cavies or Phantom  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Did you march in Cavaliers or Phantom Regiment?

• Cavaliers
    • Phantom Regiment
    • Neither...I just HAD to vote in the poll, though! ;-)

[quote name='Hulka' date='May 22 2009, 04:46 PM' post='2527934'

A Cavalier tenor from '02-'04 aged out with Phantom in '05 on tenors.

A Cavalier snare from '06-'08 is marching his age out with Phantom this summer.

That tenor player is Mike Hodges, who has been Phantom's tenor tech since 2007.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to answer your question....YES!

I marched with the Cavaliers and The Phantom Regiment.

Both organizations are outstanding....very different..but memorable experiences....

I was planning on adding BD to my resume for my age out year, but ended up in a career instead that summer :(

These are neat stories. It really seems like an interesting idea to me to try to get around, see what it's like in different corps, wear different colors, etc. Perhaps I'd be a good candidate as I don't really attach to people very well. I wonder what it's like?

Hmm, the next time I log onto here I'll have a whole season of perspective to evaluate that!

I was planning on adding BD to my resume for my age out year, but ended up in a career instead that summer :(

And to me, therein lies the problem.

Kids today are using drum corps on their resumes. It is a status thing to say "I marched with Corps A, Corps B etc.." Almost seems to be a prerequisite for music majors.

What ever happened to corps loyalty? Wahts wrong with developing a bond with one corps and sticking? I bled red black and chrome. I tried out for Devs my age out year (just to see if I could make it mostly) but felt guilty the whole time, ended up going back to Sac and aged out with my family. No regrets.

Kids today are using drum corps on their resumes. It is a status thing to say "I marched with Corps A, Corps B etc.." Almost seems to be a prerequisite for music majors.

What ever happened to corps loyalty? Wahts wrong with developing a bond with one corps and sticking? I bled red black and chrome. I tried out for Devs my age out year (just to see if I could make it mostly) but felt guilty the whole time, ended up going back to Sac and aged out with my family. No regrets.

But what's wrong with wanting to learn from as many different styles (brass, percussion, or guard) as possible during the short window of time in junior corps?

That guy that played bass for.. well.. just about everyone... he has learned various techniques on his instrument, played extremely different styles of music, and learned many different marching techniques.

Throw in the different rehearsal techniques, discipline, corps histories, locations, and traveling destinations... and I'd say that guy has a corps experience to envy.

Getting old sneaks right up on you, eh? :laughing: Did you ever think you would use a phrase like "These kids today..."

Seriously, I think you are focusing on the exceptions and not the rule. Most Crossmen kids are loyal to the Crossmen (and it's probably the same elsewhere.) Some leave, but not many. Loyalty is just as strong today as it ever was.

I believe a reason people tend to leave to join other corps is because the majority of people believe that one has to participate in a top corps in order for someone to take you seriously. Personally, I think there is no correlation between the caliber of the corps a person marches and their teaching methods/knowledge/success. I know plenty of people who marched top corps and won who turns out to become horrible teachers or ended up working at McDonalds, in other words, world champions are not immuned to real life problems, they're normal just like everyone else. And plus, who says you have to march corps at all to be successful, I mean look at people who marched low placed corps or not at all and still did quiet well. Drum corps should be something that someone does purely for the joy of entertaining or performing challening shows, but more and more people each year goes into the activity to "win" . Drum corps doesn't define the person, the person defines themselves. Don't make a simple thing so complex, just do it to have fun guys. (and to get your ### kicked)

Edited by ajawon

I don't think that he meant his literal resume.

Also marching a bunch of different corps isn't any kind of prerequisite for music majors because the vast majority of music majors never march drum corps. I would even say that the majority of drum corps participants are not music majors.

As for corps loyalty, it is still there. Most people don't change corps.

However, changing corps is perfectly fine too. If someone feels like they would have a better experience at corps B as opposed to corps A why shouldn't they go for it?

The funny thing to me is that people complain about people not marching lower corps when they don't make their dream corps and then complain when people march in a lower corps and then move on to march with their dream corps.

If at first you don't succeed settle for your second choice and never ever even think about trying again