Current SCV era

Uh, "New Era Dance" by AJ Kernis. Go listen to 2001's "New Era Metropolis" again. :thumbup:

Glad somebody got that joke.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I for one just simply love the 2001 new era. I watch it over and over and think that is one of my fav scv. Very high hopes here for them this year!

I for one just simply love the 2001 new era. I watch it over and over and think that is one of my fav scv. Very high hopes here for them this year!

Agreed. That show is the reason I marched SCV.

I wouild include Bluecoats over Crown in this statement, sure Crown beat SCV last year and 05 but seriously 05 was just a mess. Bluecoats have beaten SCV 05,06,08.

I would not. We are talking championship caliber shows here. 2008 Crown was a championship caliber show, that would have no doubt finished in the top 3 in perhaps every other season. Bluecoats, no disrespect intended, have never put a championship caliber show on the field. Crown is now one of the upper elite - with BD, Cadets, Phantom and Cavies. Any one of these, IMO, could win finals this year. I cannot say the same about Bluecoats.

On to SCV - where they've lost it IMO is in passion. I remember SCV through 2000, with a couple misses here or there, putting out extremely passionate shows that told a story and got the viewer emotional involved. Since 2001, with the exception of '04, I feel that passion is gone. I think the musical selections are the biggest problems. To each his own, but I don't understand playing all this post-modern classical music when there is so much great classical music out there is a mistake. I'm glad App Spring is back. As a classical music lover, I believe (at least for me) that post-modern classical music has sucked the passion right out of classical music. I never understood how the members could be passionate about playing a show like 2003. I think App Spring is a great start in getting SCV back to the emotional, powerful and passionate corps that wowed the world.

I would not. We are talking championship caliber shows here. 2008 Crown was a championship caliber show, that would have no doubt finished in the top 3 in perhaps every other season.

I have doubts. Yes, I am most dubious. About all that I quoted, really.

I do think Crown will place higher than the Coats this year, though.

Here's a magical formula for SCV success (lifted from Crown, Bluecoats, and late 90's Cavaliers):

1) Don't over stretch the design. Program to the talent that you have, and write the book smarter...not harder.

2) Perform the snot out of it.

3) Maintain consistency more than three years. Rinse and repeat.

Here's a magical formula for SCV success (lifted from Crown, Bluecoats, and late 90's Cavaliers):

1) Don't over stretch the design. Program to the talent that you have, and write the book smarter...not harder.

2) Perform the snot out of it.

3) Maintain consistency more than three years. Rinse and repeat.

Lifted from SCV history and philosophy:

4) Each member must perform with heart and soul

5) Each member must rehearse and perform with a unison quality that goes far beyond mere expectation

6) Each member must focus solely on excellence as if life depends upon it

7) Each member must work hard, then work harder, then work harder than that, then work hardest.

8) Each member must live life deliberately and never ever find that when it comes their time to die, they discover that they never really lived.

Just some things I thought were left out. :thumbdown:

Edited by snare36

I would not. We are talking championship caliber shows here. 2008 Crown was a championship caliber show, that would have no doubt finished in the top 3 in perhaps every other season. Bluecoats, no disrespect intended, have never put a championship caliber show on the field. Crown is now one of the upper elite - with BD, Cadets, Phantom and Cavies. Any one of these, IMO, could win finals this year. I cannot say the same about Bluecoats.

[snip]

Tell me, what logic are you using, when placing a corps that hasn't even finished 2nd or 3rd (let alone WON) into the Upper Elite? IMO, we can't place a corps into the Upper Elite until they've won at least once, and challenged for the title a few other times. That takes at least three years.

Crown 2008 was not an Elite show...it was far too easy to be called Elite (any corps that plays in Bb as often as they did, does not deserve to be called Elite.) Was it performed well? Yes. Did I love listening to the hornline, as a fan? Hell yes I did. But when using the criteria of the Elite, the true Elite should be offended by adding Crown to that list (right now).

Crown hasn't done anything Bluecoats haven't done. Crown hasn't even won a single caption during Finals Week! Bluecoats have: Brass 2007 Quarters.

Had you left it as "Crown's recent shows have a championship flair lacking from the Bluecoats" I'd have to agree, especially since Crown is following a path already cleared, and Bloo seems hell-bent on doing everything their own quirky way, placement be danmed [sic, to get through the silly bad-word filters].

But adding Crown to the Elite, when they've done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING is beyond illogical. It's downright dishonest!

For what it's worth, my enjoyment of SCV in any given year is NEVER predicated on placement.

If I listed my top 10 SCV shows of all time in order of most enjoyment, there is no connection whatsoever to placements. Some of my most enjoyable SCV shows were years when the judging community called it an " off year " for them placement wise ( 2005 for example ). I reserve and acknowledge the right of judges to judge " excellence ". However, I grant, nor defer to them no such privleges as a paying fan to determine my personal " enjoyment " quotient. Over the years, SCV has usually attained a high level of enjoyment for me. And I wish them well this year.

Edited by BRASSO

Huge SCV fan here and maybe its just knowing them through the 70/80’s but I always think of them a s a contender for the title at this time of year. I like what they have been trying to do as of late but they have yet to really execute it on the field. I think they get the benefit of demand in the judging community too, there should have been a bigger spread last year at finals. Individual and ensemble visual were a mess, some nasty notes too.

Was a huge fan of 2007 – great source music but I’m in the not a fan of Key arranging style. The builds are too long and slow considering their quickly resolved hits/ pay-offs. I always want more from the brass with them these past few years. Still, I think they do put out champion caliber shows that the corps just can’t execute well enough to be champions (minus a few design tweaks) and I don’t feel that way about the other corps shows in their tier /pack