Would you really leave the activity

Would you leave the activity if woodwinds were added?  

357 members have voted

1. 1. Would you leave the activity if woodwinds were added?

• Yes, drum corps as I loved it would no longer exist
    • No, I love this activity way too much to leave it

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They have chosen....wisely.

250px-Knight.jpg

Here's to hope that this choice continues....Cheers

i would be 100% gone and would send a bill to DCI for a refund of all monies I ever gave them in the past

if there are woodwind instruments on the field i wont be there.

It depends.

If it is technically legal but only a few corps are using them, I'll still follow DCI to see other corps who don't have woodwinds.

Think '04 when CCrown and Boston were the 2 of the few corps I remember doing "amped voice". Technically it was legal, but only a few corps were using them. I was kinda hoping that's how Synths would work out...but unfortunately no.

WW's in EVERY corps is the nail in the coffin for me. Though you'd still #### me off something special if a WW/strings rule got passed. I'm already in a mild depression over the whole Sprit-bass-player fiasco.

---

That being said:

If ALL corps had woodwinds in them I would distance myself as much as possible from DCI.

I would also make every attempt within my power to start my own drum corps, or my own drum corps circuit. Put my money where my mouth is.

I don't follow BOA grand nationals. So I think it would be safe to say I would not follow DCI either.

Literally the only reason I don't follow Grand Nationals as much as I follow DCI is the fact that the performance levels just aren't the same. There are a number of contributing factors, but the very best school band will never be able to achieve at the level of the best drum corps. The presence of woodwinds doesn't really have anything to do with my preference for DCI over BOA, and their presence hasn't stopped from enjoying some great bands shows over the years.

So yes, I'd be okay with woodwinds in drum corps. Realistically, I don't know that we'll ever see a full woodwind section on the field; however, I do think it's possible we could see amped woodwind soloists in the pit. If used correctly, I think that could be very effective and entertaining.

Literally the only reason I don't follow Grand Nationals as much as I follow DCI is the fact that the performance levels just aren't the same. There are a number of contributing factors, but the very best school band will never be able to achieve at the level of the best drum corps. The presence of woodwinds doesn't really have anything to do with my preference for DCI over BOA, and their presence hasn't stopped from enjoying some great bands shows over the years.

So yes, I'd be okay with woodwinds in drum corps. Realistically, I don't know that we'll ever see a full woodwind section on the field; however, I do think it's possible we could see amped woodwind soloists in the pit. If used correctly, I think that could be very effective and entertaining.

Well from the looks of it I think you would be enjoying this brand of entertainment with a lot less people. But the poll is still early lets give it some more time.

I love drum corps shows. Marching bands, I follow them but I never watch the shows. Why? I actually am not fond of the sound of woodwinds in any setting unless the piece really calls for it, like if there's an oboe solo. Otherwise they don't sound pretty to me.

That's just me, I know not the most fair reason in the world but it's my honest answer.

Never for me. I love woodwinds. I play them. But I don't want to hear them outside ever.

I think the majority of audiences would be right in your boat, though.

I love how people say they will stop going to shows if Woodwinds happen.

We have the ultimate version of the marching arts in Drum Corps no matter the instrumentation. Please to me any other activity that provides the same musical and visual impact that DCI can? DCA can't perform at the level of the Top 7. BOA won't even come close.

If people really honestly believed that drum corps was ruined forever, they would have been gone after 2004 and never looked back.

I don't want WW, but they wouldn't reduce the visual creativity of shows. They wouldn't destroy the percussive rudiments inherent in the drum book. They wouldn't destroy the crazy drill. They wouldn't destroy the performances of people at their physical peak under ridiculous amounts of demand.

You'll tell yourself that "I may hate WW, but I've got to go see corps X." You still went to see shows after B-flat, you still went to see shows after Amps, and odds are that you'll still go see shows if WWs happen.

If instrumentation is the epitome of Drum Corps to you, then I feel sorry because you are missing everything else that goes on over the summer.