im sorry ms JACKSON

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from the show myself. I'll only comment on the last three corps' for tonight.

Boston: Wow! With the exception of Red in 2000, Ive never really been a BAC fan. This year I think I'm becoming one! What a cool show. Out of Boston, Crown and HNC, I found myself saying "wow" the most during this show. Instruments flying up 10 ft in the air, and guard members jumping onto tuba players while they're doing a soli!? What the #*$&!? That was awesome! And the new unis have a very classic and clean look - I love em! Nice job tonight guys.

Crown: Ahhhh, the first time I get to see my corps this year. Good LORD what a hornline! :worthy: It is truly amazing what they have been doing. I dont know how they're getting this kind of lush sound - maybe the volunteers are adding a few tablespoons of AWESOME into their fruit punch. :thumbup: Some very nice moments during the show, but I think the ending - while great - could be better. Here's hoping for a rework! Another thing I'm not quite a fan of is that its not as much of a 'fan-favorite' as the last two years. A little more abstract (some of the body movements can be a bit goofy at times), which is OK, but at the same time not as memorable. Overall a great show, and one that I think can take them into medal contention. GO CROWN!! :thumbup:

One note about Crown's uniforms. If Crown is expecting to be at or near the top of DCI for years to come, I'd like to see a more consistent uniform - i.e. no more alterations every year to get a few GE points....I understand why they do it, and I guess it does work (Phantom did it VERY well last year), but I'd prefer to have the same uniform year to year, such as the Cadets, Cavaliers, and for the most part BD and SCV. Just my opinion....oh, and one more thing: PLEASE BRING BACK THE PURPLE!!!! Its the corps color for cryin' out loud!! That is all. :worthy:

HNC: Awesome show, I love the intense drill! I did see the pile up at the end of the first number, and scared the CRAP out of me for about 15 seconds as they recovered. I think all total it was more around 5 that went down, but still, being Captain Obvious here, that drill can be dangerous! Noticed a few cool sets commemorating the anniversary year - nice touch. I think the volume level was on par with Crown, but much brighter sound. A lot of dirt, as others have pointed out, which I no doubt predict will be all but gone come August. Then I believe this show will become more dangerous to other corps instead of its own members....

Overall a nice show. I'm glad I went. I'm taking a guess that the reason for the off scores is probably due to a different judging panel? Anyways, g'nite!

Here's a quote that I read in the Stockton review...

"Guys like Gino, Downey, and Meehan get very high caliber players down the line, down to the lowest parts. They go for the philosophy of having 80 "Stick outs" which in turn will maxamize sound from ALL instruments. This is why sometimes, Cadets and BD will have high brass balance and pockets (or "stick outs") in the beginning of the season because the players are "going for it" I guess you could say, and by the end of the season have all matched dynamics. Of course, if you take that approach to a hornline, the high brass will be louder and more predominant simply because the timbre difference and higher frequencies of those instruments (as the OP stated 3 times)."

I think this is true. You never hear these stick outs come finals week from corps like Cadets, Cavies, PR, BD etc. Their approach is "try and play ALL of your notes." With the obvious problem of having to put more air through bigger horns, it'll take the low brass longer to gain the endurance to play their whole show... and loudly at that.

Boston: Wow! With the exception of Red in 2000, Ive never really been a BAC fan. This year I think I'm becoming one! What a cool show. Out of Boston, Crown and HNC, I found myself saying "wow" the most during this show. Instruments flying up 10 ft in the air, and guard members jumping onto tuba players while they're doing a soli!? What the #*$&!? That was awesome! And the new unis have a very classic and clean look - I love em! Nice job tonight guys.

The color guard is playing the tuba's valves during the feature too! :thumbup:

Actually your wrong, Although I like the Cadets program I was a huge fan of Crowns last year. Picked them all year over the Cadets! I do not care for Crown's show this year, But I will say I have a better view of it now than earlier on, its growing on me a little but the Cadets show is demanding in every way. Not saying Crowns show is not but when The Cadets clean up their act, The demand will get the score it deserves. The 85 that Crown got maybe was deserved. The Cadets had problems on the wet fields and it hurt them. I just call them as I see it! Isn't funny that my views are bad for the Cadets? Why is this? Last year I saw so many people bashing them, it was crazy. Now somebody likes them and I am wrong......I think Cadet fans are more respectful than other fans. I think the fans that post they will be at an 89 and the Cadets will only be at an 83 look pretty silly now! I guess the Crown fans think the Cadets are just gonna lay down and let them win. When all of you Cadet haters didn't like thier show the past few years it was incredible what a lot of you wrote. Now they put out a great program and if someone likes it, like myself, I am making the Cadet Fans look Bad.

For the record....I am a fan. A Drum Corps fan. Been around a long time. Teached, Judged, and won my share of Championships. I just like the The Cadets show this year. When I have been in the stands and The Cadets were winning people didn't understand why the scores were so close with Crown. When Crown started winning People didn't understand that either. These are people in the stands! Go to a show and see for yourself! I am not bashing Crown....Love them, just don't care for the show this year and don't believe that their show will carry them the entire way. Now if they prove me wrong, I won't be upset about it! In fact maybe I will like it better down the road. As of right now I don't see them beating the Cadets at Championships and that is not to say that someone else will win either.

So Crown Fans stop with the silly posts of they will be at 90 and the Cadets will be at 81 at the next show and I will stop defending a Corp that has had its share of bashing over the past two years. They deserve some respect for what they have done and frankly it is fun to see some serious Drum Corps battling it out! They have my respect and I hope they prove the bashers wrong!

Actually, FTNK marched Cadets.

But I do see what benchmark is saying. Although I think his posts may be a little passionate at best, it seems to me that for some people, it's not okay to be this passionate about The Cadets. This guy may be making Cadets fans look bad to some people, but in my opinion, it's about #### time that someone started feeling as good about Cadets as some others do. I just think he's the type of person who's not afraid to stick by them.

The color guard is playing the tuba's valves during the feature too! :worthy:

What!? :thumbup: I was up at the top of the stadium, so I couldn't really see up close what they were doing...that's absolutely ridiculous! :thumbup:

Good to see, at least last night, that Cadets posted the music scores they did. I'm surprised to see them up in brass and drums! Especially with how people keep saying they're a big ragged in music overall.

It's a little funny...last week their better area was visual, not music. They were keeping pace with (and just below) Crown in Vis Ens...but last night their Vis Ens and Vis Perf numbers were considerably behind Crown. Perhaps the pileup and close-to-pileups were significant contributers to that. Great to see that guard score, too! I've been waiting for years for 'that Cadets guard' to be back...I love those great Cadets guards...maybe this will be a good year for them!

Since the season is almost half over I would ask for a huge discount in price from the vendor.

This was the Crossmen's 6th competition and they have about 19 left through quarterfinals(20 if you include semi's). Season's not yet quarter over for them. They began a little later than the others. This was the Cadets' 10th competition, not counting the rainout.

Season's still young, though it may not feel like it.

Though that's no excuse for the vendor's delay.

Why were they the only ones upgraded? The corps that finished third or fourth might have been a candidate for an upgrede also!