Columbia FirstBEAT Battle

I also had a question about this one. I'm just curious, have you seen any of the West Coats shows? I'm not critizing your comment at all, I'm just curious if you've been able to see the gamut of shows for this year and THAT's what makes you want HNC and Crown to beat them, or if has more to do with your prior affiliation with each corps.

Haven't seen anyone from the West Coast (or Midwest) yet.....I will in Atlanta.

....and it has more to do with my corps affiliation. It's not that I haven't loved or appreciated the products put out by green team or the blue team or any other color-specific corps, I just "dislike" them in the same way that I "dislike" the Philadelphia Eagles. :)

Okay, cool.. At least you dislike the Eagles.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I felt the urge to single this section out because it describes very well what I think my problem is with Crown's show. I just couldn't quite put my finger on it until you mentioned your boyfriend using the word "cute" to describe what they were doing. In general, I love Crown's show. I listen to the preseason recording every day on my way to and from work. But, in watching Crown's show (mind you, this is via Fan Network VOD'S and Webcasts), the body gyrations just aren't selling it to me. Especially in Sensemaya where the music starts out like a soundtrack for a toy soldier but then builds in intensity, when I LISTEN to the music it has a raw, animalistic...dare I say erotic?..build to it. When I WATCH what they are doing while playing said music, it merely comes across as...well..cute (at best). I also don't get the random "drop to your knees and drag them through the grass for a count" maneuver. I don't see how or what that sells as part of the show. Basically, it just looks weird to me and momentarily takes me out of the show visually!

I also had a question about this one. I'm just curious, have you seen any of the West Coats shows? I'm not critizing your comment at all, I'm just curious if you've been able to see the gamut of shows for this year and THAT's what makes you want HNC and Crown to beat them, or if has more to do with your prior affiliation with each corps.

That body movement is in the second piece, Puck, not Sensemaya. I think it had the total opposite effect on me...when I first saw it on the Fan Network, I was blown away by how well it set the mood (the toy soldier march when the trumpet quartets first introduce the melody) of the tune, and how effective it was with the music, especially during the push as they keep coming closer and closer to the front sideline. I had terrible seats at the Jackson show, so it wasn't that effective, but I'm right on the 50 about 25 rows up in Atlanta, and I can't wait. :whistle:

That body movement is in the second piece, Puck, not Sensemaya. I think it had the total opposite effect on me...when I first saw it on the Fan Network, I was blown away by how well it set the mood (the toy soldier march when the trumpet quartets first introduce the melody) of the tune, and how effective it was with the music, especially during the push as they keep coming closer and closer to the front sideline. I had terrible seats at the Jackson show, so it wasn't that effective, but I'm right on the 50 about 25 rows up in Atlanta, and I can't wait. :whistle:

Actually I think that's the only body movement aspect of their show I liked.

Also, I don't know if anyone feels the way I do about this but there's this part in Cadets' show in the "ballad" when the company front condenses into a block. I totally went ballistic when I heard and saw it in the Chesapeake show. I was completely blown away and the people around me thought I was crazy because I almost fell from jumping so much. It was loud and it just kept building and building.

Just couldn't hold it back... :whistle:

Also, I don't know if anyone feels the way I do about this but there's this part in Cadets' show in the "ballad" when the company front condenses into a block. I totally went ballistic when I heard and saw it in the Chesapeake show. I was completely blown away and the people around me thought I was crazy because I almost fell from jumping so much. It was loud and it just kept building and building.

Just couldn't hold it back... :whistle:

Yes! That and when they take the company front and run it forward....w-o-w.

Just a note to those that might care... Alliance's score was a 67.775 tonight NOT a 57.775 as DCI has posted. It will be corrected later. I have seen the recap sheet from earlier tonight. Thanks!

Good job Alliance! I was hoping somebody would mention them and I was wondering how they did. They are a local open class corps that I have been keeping my eye on. Best of luck in your season!

Thanks!!! All these are great! What camera are you using?

You're welcome! I try to make up for my poor photography skills by taking lots of pictures. If I take enough, odds are that some will usable. I used a Cannon Powershot SX10 IS. I would have taken more of the first few corps, but I was trying to save battery life for Crown and HNC.

--

A few short blurbs.

Crown was awesome tonight, but I don't think the show is championship-worthy. Don't get me wrong, it is a very good show, but I just don't think that it will be on the same level as HNC in Indiana. That is, of course, if they don't change some things (which they will)...

HNC's show is just a big powerful punch in the face for 11 minutes straight. They still have some precision issues (dirt, dirt, dirt), but I don't see this show being beaten once it is clean.

-Mike

Cadets show is very in your face. It's almost as if they are trying to make up for the past 3 or 4 years of sillyness. I haven't seen a Cadets show this in your face since 2003. My favorite part of their show is the drill. Cadets are back to their usual crazyness in drill design. I do not enjoy the quality of their brass, but they are loud and Gino Cipriani obviously squeezes every ounce of energy out of those horns that he can. This show design has all of the characteristics of a great "fan friendly" show that George Hopkins once described. Play loud...people clap.....throw it higher, people clap, move it faster, people clap.

There isn't much to get with Cadets. It's just in your face music. It doesn't take any intellect to enjoy. I would compare it to the big summer blockbuster with lots of explosions as opposed to Crown which is primed for Oscar season.

Crown's show is very intricate. You have to watch it multiple times. Thankfully I watched them during rehearsal for several hours and picked up on many things. I will say this once and only once, If anyone doubts that Crown's show is not difficult, you need to turn in your DCI fan card and hit the exit. I think musically, there isn't another book out there close. Visually, Cadets are ridiculously hard, but Crown's drill has alot of tough spots and when you add in the body movement, you have a recipe for an all around good, challenging visual design (i left out the guard, b/c I cannot give an informed opinion)

Crown's show does not seemed finished to me. Cadets does. I can see Cadets cleaning and cleaning and cleaning. I only hope Crown will change the ending. There seems to be so much room for something else after the big push at the end. It has "placeholder" written all over it.

With that said, they are both championship calibre shows and unfortunately for all the know-it-all's on DCP, I don't see them seperating very much at all in score.