Why won't DCI let us watch finals LIVE?

If I had my druthers, I would see 20 shows this year and spend all of finals week in Indy watching corps. Since that isn't going to be possible, I would gladly pay 30.00 for PPV finals.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it is overpriced. If you have a family or whatever that gets really expensive. Besides, it's about the "TCE" ( Total Cost of Experience)... Add travel, food, etc...

I'd pay $30 to watch the current stream-quality of finals at home on my computer. I'll go see quarter finals in the theatre. That's about it...

$70 for 5+ hours of entertainment is cheap for me, especially considering the ridiculous amounts of cash people pay to go to NFL/NBA games, Broadway/Vegas shows, etc... and those are only about 3 hours of entertainment for usually double the ticket price. $15 bucks per hour is pretty #### good nowadays for entertainment.

am i the only one here who thinks watching DCI live in a stadium is 100x better than on the tv/computer?

cause i would DEFIANTLY spend an extra $50 to see finals live. hell, maybe more.

Of course! But it's not $50 more than a webstream price to see finals live. Particularly if you want good between-the-35-yardline seats (and will therefore have to buy Fantastic 5 tickets and probably have to have a donor connection to FDCI or a corps, because many expensive seats lie outside the 35s) and if you want to stay at a hotel in downtown Indy, and if you need to fly. It's an expensive trip.

Edited by Peel Paint

I'm just saying, I can't see someone spending all that money to go to the show origionally and then just turn it down to watch the SAME shows again on the computer like they have been all summer. The people I know that go to finals don't just go there to see the marchers go through there motions but to get the experience. And that experience is what they pay for.

I think that nails it. For me, going to shows is seeing old friends and the atmosphere of being surrounded by drum corps fans. My wife (also a DCI alumni) REALLY wants to go to finals, because so many of her old drum corps family will be there. She says she'd rather go to travel to DCI Finals than travel home to go to her high school reunion.

We live in So Cal, and if we were a little bit more financially stable we'd definitely be flying out for Finals. Hopefully we will be able to afford to go sometime in the near future. However, since there is no way we are going to finals this year, we would GLADLY pay $70 (about the average ticket price for DCI Finals) for a live stream of Championships. It is my hope that some day DCI can figure out the magic formula to make this a reality.

I haven't read the other post but I think its lame that we can't see DCI Finals live through webcast or any other source. I know that watching it would not affect my decision on whether to buy the dvd or not.

I know its not the same, but imagine being able to watch the NBA playoffs and then when the finals came, you get nothing. Or watching NFL playoffs and then you can't watch the Super Bowl.

I would gladly trade all the live streaming that DCI offers right now for a 1 night live broadcast of Finals. In fact, if they ever went back to PBS, how great would it be to broadcast finals live on tv? Including scores and all that good stuff.

The DCI live broadcasts stopped (1980 or 81 if you'd care to split hairs) as home video was asserting its dominance in the US. Whether it was Reagan-era cuts to PBS or a far-sighted scheme by DCI to whet appetites for the albums and videocassettes, I don't think those days are coming back any time soon. PBS is basically a dried-out, dessiccated husk of what it used to be, and anyway, DCI obviously doesn't want to go the "coastal elite" route that PBS has been tarred with, choosing ESPN2 and the whole "Marching Music's Major League" concept instead.

And we know how truly great that was.

Short answer: DCI won't let you watch finals because they want you to buy the DVD of Finals instead. Time was, watching one (for free, maybe on delay) meant whetting one's appetite for the other (see the turnaround in fortune of the Chicago Blackhawks for a salient "sports world" example), but DCI apparently doesn't see it that way.

The DCI live broadcasts stopped (1980 or 81 if you'd care to split hairs) as home video was asserting its dominance in the US. Whether it was Reagan-era cuts to PBS or a far-sighted scheme by DCI to whet appetites for the albums and videocassettes, I don't think those days are coming back any time soon. PBS is basically a dried-out, dessiccated husk of what it used to be, and anyway, DCI obviously doesn't want to go the "coastal elite" route that PBS has been tarred with, choosing ESPN2 and the whole "Marching Music's Major League" concept instead.

And we know how truly great that was.

Short answer: DCI won't let you watch finals because they want you to buy the DVD of Finals instead. Time was, watching one (for free, maybe on delay) meant whetting one's appetite for the other (see the turnaround in fortune of the Chicago Blackhawks for a salient "sports world" example), but DCI apparently doesn't see it that way.

Maybe I'm remembering this wrong, but I thought we recorded the top 6 (well, the final 6 performances) live in 92 and 93. (Which meant my parents still got to see us in 92, even though... well, you know. :whistle:) If they were on delay, it wasn't more than a day or so, I'm sure. (Certainly not the months later situation it evolved to.) Actually, a friend of the family recorded 92 for us via satellite (pre DirecTV), so we even got some pre-show Goudy/Rondinaro banter. And my parents saw 94 live via a theater simulcast.

Maybe I'm remembering this wrong, but I thought we recorded the top 6 (well, the final 6 performances) live in 92 and 93. (Which meant my parents still got to see us in 92, even though... well, you know. :whistle:) If they were on delay, it wasn't more than a day or so, I'm sure. (Certainly not the months later situation it evolved to.) Actually, a friend of the family recorded 92 for us via satellite (pre DirecTV), so we even got some pre-show Goudy/Rondinaro banter. And my parents saw 94 live via a theater simulcast.

Yes. the top 12 stopped in 1980. That's what I was getting at. 1981 they showed an edited 3-hour broadcast of Whitewater, then came the horror shows of 82 (Rob and Steve talking, NO BRIDGEMEN DRUM SOLO ARE YOU INSANE) and 83 (one stupid number per corps, save the last 2, so they could shoehorn in all that Up Close and Personal crap), which sucked so loudly that they went to the top 5 live broadcast in 1984. Which wasn't terrible, but it wasn't the whole night. I would have liked to see 27's drumline that year on TV, yes? They went with that format for a while, then variations on one theme or another, until the salient horrors of the ESPN debacle. But the last all-in broadcast of a top 12 Finals night was indeed 1980.

Here's another angle to my original post: If that ESPN contract is preventing DCI from broadcasting Finals in any way now, will that change once the contract runs out?

According to the folks at DCI, there are several options being looked at once the contract runs out, and the idea of a live webcast for finals is something that is on the table. Unfortuanetly, ESPN owns the rights for 2009 so we will get the same package this season that we have the past three.