Ocean Springs Oasis

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's impossible to get these Visual score improvements with such holes, and with many of the ones who marched less than 48 hours removed from sick bay.

But that's just it... it's not impossible because it happened! :thumbup:

Maybe crown is just better than the cadets? I can't believe the number of people saying that corps with holes and people falling should be penalized. Do you understand the judging system?

no

Without being redundant here, I'll grant that it's entirely possible for Crown with 12 members on the sidelines to come out smokin and " were hot " last night .But it's still impossible( my opinion) for a Corps with 12 members missing and thus creating visual holes in all the visual patterns to have all their Visual Scores, particularly GE Visual, go up over their previous show where there were no members out, and thus no holes in those visual patterns created. Even if we factor in a different judge panel, it is an impossible thing to have happened. It's impossible to get these Visual score improvements with such holes, and with many of the ones who marched less than 48 hours removed from sick bay.

You don't suppose that the judges keep up with the activity, knew that Crown was missing members due to sickness, and judged accordingly to the situation do you? You can still judge Visual Ensemble KNOWING there are holes out there because of sickness and give an accurate number based on that knowledge. If members were performing well and leaving holes with correct spacing while still maintaining their own visual responsibilities, and they did it better than 'Corps X' (and by Corps X I mean Cadets), then they SHOULD have scored higher.

At this point this argument has degenerated into whining... :thumbup:

Without being redundant here, I'll grant that it's entirely possible for Crown with 12 members on the sidelines to come out smokin and " were hot " last night .But it's still impossible( my opinion) for a Corps with 12 members missing and thus creating visual holes in all the visual patterns to have all their Visual Scores, particularly GE Visual, go up over their previous show where there were no members out, and thus no holes in those visual patterns created. Even if we factor in a different judge panel, it is an impossible thing to have happened. It's impossible to get these Visual score improvements with such holes, and with many of the ones who marched less than 48 hours removed from sick bay.

No, it's not impossible. Clearly it can happen, because we saw it happen last night. Your continued insistence that the numbers are illegitimate - as someone who was not at either show and as someone with (presumably) no judging experience - indicates a lack of understanding of the judging process, rather than a flaw in the judging that took place.

Maybe crown is just better than the cadets? I can't believe the number of people saying that corps with holes and people falling should be penalized. Do you understand the judging system?

if you fall you are obviously not marching well.

not marching well = lower score

... right?

It's all so hilarious!

You guys crack me up.

You don't suppose that the judges keep up with the activity, knew that Crown was missing members due to sickness, and judged accordingly to the situation do you? You can still judge Visual Ensemble KNOWING there are holes out there because of sickness and give an accurate number based on that knowledge. If members were performing well and leaving holes with correct spacing while still maintaining their own visual responsibilities, and they did it better than 'Corps X' (and by Corps X I mean Cadets), then they SHOULD have scored higher.

At this point this argument has degenerated into whining... :thumbup:

I havn't seen this topic reduced to whining as of yet. I do think it has provoked some good discussion with those that have a curious mind and want to understand things better..

If you are saying that judges are judging Corps performances by including what has occurred off the field, and not what is in front of them then this is certainly a novel approach if true. I always understood that judges judged only what was before them in competition.... and the off the field happenings ( as sympathetic as a judge might be with those happenings ) never factored into the scores.. There is no " sympathy " caption on the judging sheets as far as I know. And judges are instructed to disregard all external factors and only judge the Corps in front of them during their show performance. If there is a " sympathy " score attached, then certainly staffs would be engaging in all manner of off the field activities to help bolster a sympathy score later in competition. So no, I don't think the off the field externals are entering into the scoring of these Corps in competition. Good grief, we can all hope not anyway.

Edited by BRASSO

Can't be true, Carolina Crown is the only drum corps on the road with sick and injured players. In the history of drum corps.

You are all absurd for making a fuss about Crown's holes. Judges aren't ########, they can see what's a hole and what's poor spacing, and I'd like to think an ensemble judge wouldn't spend the entire night staring at a hole rather than evaluating the ensemble that is there.

Maybe DCI should start reporting how many members take the field at each show along with the recap, since it's apparently so relevant to the score.

I like your rebuttle. Good answer. Well thought out.

If we were all DCI judges on here, everyones favorite corps would be in the 50's score wise in the middle of July, because of the person next to them not liking their neighbors corps.

Good gosh...... :thumbup::tongue:

Edited by Tone Quality Matters