Are you SERIOUS, Crossmen?!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am totally on George's side on this one - he is a former marching member, and he alone is directly responsible for keeping the corps from folding in the 90's. That's not an exaggeration. If that doesn't qualify him for the Crossmen Hall of Fame, I don't know what would, honestly.

Mike

As "the other guy" being inducted into the HOF this year, all I can say is that what has me flabbergasted and speechless the most is how George wasn't inducted into the Crossmen Hall of Fame years ago. And hey, I understand that the relationship between the Crossmen and YEA was not perfect. I don't think many will dispute that. There were many ups and many downs for sure. But the undeniable fact remains that without George and YEA getting involved, the Crossmen would have folded in the autumn of 1995. It is also undeniable that YEA spent well over a million dollars over the years helping to keep the Crossmen alive, when they certainly could have just done nothing and rid themselves of another east coast competitor once and for all.

If the author wants to stop supporting the corps because of this, that is his or her right. All I can ask is this...how grateful are you that the Crossmen are still on this earth, giving so many young people the chance to be a part of such a rich and proud legacy spanning over three decades? Truly, how grateful are you that the drum corps universe still counts the Crossmen as one its active participants when so many other great corps have faded away forever? There are certainly many many people to thank for the fact that the Crossmen are still here for us to discuss all these years later. George is most definitely one of those people, and as such, I'd like to think that EVERY Crossmen, no matter what they might think of the man (whom most have probably never even met), could find the strength within themselves to say THANK YOU for his very significant contributions to the efforts of keeping the Crossmen in existence.

I'm honored to be inducted into the Crossmen Hall of Fame alongside George Hopkins.

Geez. He marched with and administered the Crossmen, and is famous for it. He's just getting in now?

My thought as well, actually.

As "the other guy" being inducted into the HOF this year, all I can say is that what has me flabbergasted and speechless the most is how George wasn't inducted into the Crossmen Hall of Fame years ago. And hey, I understand that the relationship between the Crossmen and YEA was not perfect. I don't think many will dispute that. There were many ups and many downs for sure. But the undeniable fact remains that without George and YEA getting involved, the Crossmen would have folded in the autumn of 1995. It is also undeniable that YEA spent well over a million dollars over the years helping to keep the Crossmen alive, when they certainly could have just done nothing and rid themselves of another east coast competitor once and for all.

If the author wants to stop supporting the corps because of this, that is his or her right. All I can ask is this...how grateful are you that the Crossmen are still on this earth, giving so many young people the chance to be a part of such a rich and proud legacy spanning over three decades? Truly, how grateful are you that the drum corps universe still counts the Crossmen as one its active participants when so many other great corps have faded away forever? There are certainly many many people to thank for the fact that the Crossmen are still here for us to discuss all these years later. George is most definitely one of those people, and as such, I'd like to think that EVERY Crossmen, no matter what they might think of the man (whom most have probably never even met), could find the strength within themselves to say THANK YOU for his very significant contributions to the efforts of keeping the Crossmen in existence.

I'm honored to be inducted into the Crossmen Hall of Fame alongside George Hopkins.

266148ffa281918da.gif

I am absolutely flabbergasted. :tongue: I am speechless. :tongue: Above all, I am hurt. :rock:

The decision to induct George Hopkins into the Bones Hall of Fame stuns me. How can we praise a man who did nothing but put the Crossmen on the back burner for so many years? He has literally ignored the corps some years under YEA's wing, never even stepping foot in front of them. What message are we sending our alumni? Who all had negative experiences, or no experiences AT ALL with the man.

This really saddens me. As an alumni, I will have to rethink my involvement. After all the e-mails I get weekly asking for money, and then turning around and donating, despite the choices they make...this whole thing just makes me sick.

Your internet connection should be permanantly shut off for posting this. Take a look at Gary's response and you'll see why GH SHOULD be included into the Crossmen's HOF. As a fellow alum of Crossmen, if it weren't for GH, I probably would have never heard of Crossmen because they probably would not have existed.

Very well said, sir. The Crossmen/YEA relationship wasn't ideal, but keeping the Crossmen alive so that they might be an independent competitor in 2009 would seem to outweigh any of the negatives. Congratulations to both of you on your induction this year!