Are you SERIOUS, Crossmen?!

There is no reason he shouldn't be inducted. The Crossmen would most likely not be around if it weren't for Hop. Also, I'm pretty sure they corps was doing better competitively while under YEA. Hop wanted the best for the Crossmen and should have been inducted a long time ago....hands down

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hoppy isn't known as a Crossman - he's known as a Cadet and he'll probably always be remembered that way. Hey, Babe Ruth once pitched for the Red Sox too, but people still think of him as a Yankee.

Babe Ruth didn't save the Red Sox from folding either.

Sometimes it takes a few years for people to get a perspective.

Let's keep it real. The first class of the HOF was only 1999, and the 1975 corps was inducted....that includes Hop. This years class is only the seventh HOF class, so Hop is one of the elite few. Not sure if he would have been voted in several years ago due to what people thought of the YEA/Bones relationship, but time has shown he decidedly deserves this honor. As does Gary G in my opinion.

When it comes to keeping this corps alive and keeping it's history alive, Hop is at the top of the list. Congratulations, see you all at West Chester!

Boots!

Babe Ruth didn't save the Red Sox from folding either.

I won't ask you whether Hoppy is mostly known as a Cadet or a Crossman because I think that you already know the answer to that. If Bones keeps it's head and it's butt wired together for the next several years Hoppy is just going to be a fart in a Texas windstorm.

I won't ask you whether Hoppy is mostly known as a Cadet or a Crossman because I think that you already know the answer to that. If Bones keeps it's head and it's butt wired together for the next several years Hoppy is just going to be a fart in a Texas windstorm.

It is good to see that the Crossmen have more respect for someone that saved them from being just another folded drum corps than you do.

It is good to see that the Crossmen have more respect for someone that saved them from being just another folded drum corps than you do.

Dude, just let him be bitter.

The OP's two posts smack of hate filled troll spew. Note how the letters in bold appear to contradict each other. Sad, really sad.

Post 1.

I am absolutely flabbergasted. I am speechless. Above all, I am hurt.

The decision to induct George Hopkins into the Bones Hall of Fame stuns me. How can we praise a man who did nothing but put the Crossmen on the back burner for so many years? He has literally ignored the corps some years under YEA's wing, never even stepping foot in front of them. What message are we sending our alumni? Who all had negative experiences, or no experiences AT ALL with the man.

This really saddens me. As an alumni, I will have to rethink my involvement. After all the e-mails I get weekly asking for money, and then turning around and donating, despite the choices they make...this whole thing just makes me sick.

Post 2.

Gary, your opinion matters so much to me. I truly think you are one of the greatest men I've ever known. You have to understand this though, the summer I marched Crossmen was THE GREATEST summer of my life, however Hopkins left a very sour experience for some, including myself. I just feel that he really hurt us as members that year. And to see what followed was nothing short of disaster.

That being said...I DO respect all that YEA and GH did for the Crossmen. Don't get me wrong, they truly bailed them out. If it wasn't for YEA's "stimulus package", the XMEN would have been bone dust for sure. I am truly grateful for that! If that is the reason for the induction, I support it 100%.

Can't a guy be have a double standard every once in a while ;)

:satisfied:

I'm just trying to be realistic about it. Do you honestly think that 10 years from now people are even going to know (much less care) that the Great God of the Maroon and Gold was even affiliated with the Crossmen? I doubt it. I'll stand by my original opinion. Does he belong in the DCI hall of fame? Yes. Does he belong in the Cadets hall of fame? Yes. Does he belong in the Drum Corps hall of fame? Yes. Does he belong in the Crossmen hall of fame? No.

I'm just trying to be realistic about it. Do you honestly think that 10 years from now people are even going to know (much less care) that the Great God of the Maroon and Gold was even affiliated with the Crossmen?

Anyone that enjoys the Crossmen and appreciates the fact that they still exist should appreciate those responsible for their continued existence. So the answer to your question is yes, Hop will be rembered in 10 years as one that helped keep the Crossmen in existence. But hey, go ahead and be angry and bitter and ignore reality. Congrats Hop, well deserved, keep up the good work!

Hoppy isn't known as a Crossman - he's known as a Cadet and he'll probably always be remembered that way. Hey, Babe Ruth once pitched for the Red Sox too, but people still think of him as a Yankee.

Well, I certainly remember him as a Crossmen (and as a member ofthe 507 Hornets). If what you say is true, that's sad.

He never marched with the Cadets. I think the corps we marched with should be acknowledged as important.

If people don't know he marched with us, it's good this award has brought it to their attention.

I hope George doesn't mind me saying this, but as a member he was always one of the most proactive in pushing us forward. He was the most vocal at our corps meetings. Many people join corps and just go along for the ride. George wasn't one of those people.

The charter members of the corps are already in the Hall of Fame--myself included.

But I don't have any problem with this deserved award.

(Apologies for typos. Blackberry typing)

Edited by barigirl78