The Retractable Roof at Lucas Oil

As I drove to work in the rain this morning (hoping the rain clears out of Ohio for the Centerville show tonight!) I got to thinking about the retractable roof at Lucas Ohio Stadium and wondered if anyone knew about DCI's plans/parameters for the roof.

I found some interesting information about the roof at http://lucasoilstadium.9f.com/#roof but it would be interesting to know what to expect next weekend. For example: Does the roof stay open all day Friday and Saturday when both Open and World events take place? If rain is forecasted does the roof stay closed so all corps perform under the same conditions? Does DCI save some bucks on rental if the AC doesn't run?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As I drove to work in the rain this morning (hoping the rain clears out of Ohio for the Centerville show tonight!) I got to thinking about the retractable roof at Lucas Ohio Stadium and wondered if anyone knew about DCI's plans/parameters for the roof.

I found some interesting information about the roof at http://lucasoilstadium.9f.com/#roof but it would be interesting to know what to expect next weekend. For example: Does the roof stay open all day Friday and Saturday when both Open and World events take place? If rain is forecasted does the roof stay closed so all corps perform under the same conditions? Does DCI save some bucks on rental if the AC doesn't run?

It takes something like 8 hours for the stadium A/C to cool the building if the roof is closed, so if there is any chance of rain at any time during the day, the roof will be closed. My money is on a closed roof the entire time.

It takes something like 8 hours for the stadium A/C to cool the building if the roof is closed, so if there is any chance of rain at any time during the day, the roof will be closed. My money is on a closed roof the entire time.

But my biggest question is how will it sound? Will the sound bounce all over the place? If that's the case, I will hate for the roof to be closed.

I think it had already been established that the roof would be closed for all DCI events back when the original site agreement was finalized.

Well that just blows.

I think it had already been established that the roof would be closed for all DCI events back when the original site agreement was finalized.

My recollection (and I can't find anything on dci.org) was that they COULD close the roof, and if rain or oppressive heat were forecast they WOULD close it. But I don't know that any decision was ultimately made.

An additional aspect to consider is whether the side "windows" will be open as well. The roof obviously has the biggest impact on how the sound bounces around but the sides being open or shut will have some impact as well on where the sound goes.

I think that there is going to be a lot of wailing and moaning once we actually hear how bad the sound it is going to be. If it is anything close to Atlanta of San Antonio, then you might as well wear ear plugs and enjoy the "visuals".

Well at least we will still have Murfreesboro and Allentown to enjoy real drum corps. If it is really bad, which I believe that it will be, I hope they use the APDs from Allentown for the official CDs. If not, there will be no sense in buying them.

I truly hope that I am wrong, but if the BOA championship show is any indication (my wife attended), it is not going to be very good for those of us who enjoy hearing drum corps.

If it is really bad, which I believe that it will be, I hope they use the APDs from Allentown for the official CDs. If not, there will be no sense in buying them.

I truly hope that I am wrong, but if the BOA championship show is any indication (my wife attended), it is not going to be very good for those of us who enjoy hearing drum corps.

Great.

I'm starting to regret preordering the 2009 CD's now.

If it is that bad, then we should do something more formal in terms of complaining to DCI after the event.