Crown needs to find its own identity

So... why are you not including Troopers in this then?

Sorry... Still think of Sky Ryders and OTR even though they aren't "modern day" and I'm sure there are quite a few who agree with me.

Your sour grapes are getting even more sour. I'd start making them into whine if I were you.

My thread was about Crown, not Troopers. And BTW, im happy that they made Finals, but did find their show to be very much similar in concept to BD '98 (one hand, one heart). And FYI Cavies have been using Over the Rainbow since 1951.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Front row, fourth from the right (black guy).

Very sweet! One of my favorite moments!

OK. Sorry GREENBLUE (what is GREENBLUE anyway. I know the green but the blue?). I'm done thread hijacking.

Edited by skajerk

My thread was about Crown, not Troopers. And BTW, im happy that they made Finals, but did find their show to be very much similar in concept to BD '98 (one hand, one heart). And FYI Cavies have been using Over the Rainbow since 1951.

True. But you called out Crown for using part (and just one part) of WWS while Troopers incorporated a lot of WWS into their version during Cadet's anniversary year. You don't see that as being hypocritical?

regarding Cavies and OTR again: Yeah. Got it. I know the history of Cavies/OTR. I still think Sky Ryders when I hear it.

Very sweet! One of my favorite moments!

OK. Sorry GREENBLUE (what is GREENBLUE anyway. I know the green but the blue?). I'm done thread hijacking.

Blue represents the color of a corps i marched with prior to the corps with the green. my heart lies with the green thats why its first in the name :)

Gotcha. NOW I'm done thread hijacking! :doh:

Edited by skajerk

Okay now in this guy's defense, why is it when someone makes a comment about Crown (even though they OP stated he was not in any way trying to bash Crown), people start namecalling, and all that other ridulous stuff? And then in the same tongue, a lot of Crown fans can talk #### about other corps. How about an intelligent argument for once without all the negativity?

I think intelligent went out the door with the sour grapes "green blue" woke up with today, and then started a flame thread. I bet it eats at greenblue that his beloved OTR has been used then again in the same post he states "

I realize that Crown played Engulfed Cathedral in 2000, as one of the posters pointed out, but when I think Crown I don't think Engulfed Cathedral.
/Mask of Zorro was 2000 but he really meant 2003 it's ok I've corrected you, but don't contradict yourself in the argument , finals are over and history has been written like it or not. IT IS WHAT IT IS....

I think that Crown has finally found their identity, IMO, with this year's show. They took a cerebral, intelligent design with great arranging and a fairly innovative visual package. Their show was full of subtlety, and gives us quite a bit to think about. I hope that they continue in this way (a fairly simple idea that run deep in subtlety and intelligence) that mixes audience friendly arrangements, great drill, and Championship caliber performance!

I think intelligent went out the door with the sour grapes "green blue" woke up with today, and then started a flame thread. I bet it eats at greenblue that his beloved OTR has been used then again in the same post he states " /Mask of Zorro was 2000 but he really meant 2003 it's ok I've corrected you, but don't contradict yourself in the argument , finals are over and history has been written like it or not. IT IS WHAT IT IS....

No sour grapes here, actually agree with the placements....

But yet another Crown fan bashes someone with a different opinion, is anyone else seeing a trend?

Never did i say Crown didnt deserve 2nd, never did i say i didnt like their show. I simply stated Id like to hear them do something original to Crown.

No sour grapes here, actually agree with the placements....

But yet another Crown fan bashes someone with a different opinion, is anyone else seeing a trend?

Never did i say Crown didnt deserve 2nd, never did i say i didnt like their show. I simply stated Id like to hear them do something original to Crown.

crown show was original so-what if they used OTR or somewhere, they didn't do a repeat rendition like cadets how original was WSS for a third time?

Edited by DCIbrassplaya

First want to congratulate all corps on a fanatstic year!!!!!

BD, Cavies, Cadets, SCV and Phantom all have their own identities.

BD, well, their BD. Cavies have their innovative visual programs and performance, Phantom has their sound and storytelling, etc with SCV n Cadets...... you can agree with these styles or not, but one can tell who these corps are without a uniform or name.

My point is: Crown needs to establish their own niche. This year they received the silver by playing music other corps are known for (over the rainbow/somewhere) and many on this board say how similar they look and sound to Star. But when is Crown goin be to known for being Crown and not be compared to another corps? When are we going to be able to say Crown is a leader in pushing drum corps to new heights. They had a great show this year, but to have longterm success they need to figure who they are.

I understand they've been changing to improve and move up in the placements, but where do they go from here? Lookin at 2007/2008 I thought they may have started to develop that somethin, but this year even though successful I thought they lost it in translation.

PS: This is not meant to take anything away from Crown, but talkin to many who are just drum corps fans they seemed to enjoy the Crown of 07/08 better. But can appreciate the demand of this years program.

I still don't quite understand what you're getting at. Arguably SCV did a show full of music that another corps is pretty famous (and successful) playing. BD did freaking I've Got Rhythm and Rhapsody in Blue for Pete's Sake: how many corps have done that over the years?! Cadets, IMO, are the corps who has most lost their identity this decade, bouncing around from style to style trying to find their competitive niche (are they super experimental, are they pushing the envelope with new 'toys,' are they going for super fan friendly? They've done all that in just the past five or six years!). Phantom is in the similar boat as Cadets, where they've only really had their 'story telling' type shows the past couple of years and pretty much failed miserably this season with it. I suspect next year they will do something completely different in an attempt to get back to the Top 5.

I agree that currently Cavaliers have a definite style, and so do Blue Devils. Cavaliers, though, may be doing different things as their niche seems to be 'old hat' with the judges. But I'd say you could look at 1991-2009 and Cavaliers have had only minimum tweaks to their show design/formula. Blue Devils have changed up their formula slightly (more so the past few years) from 1994-2009.

I feel like Crown has spent the past several years finding their identity, and their rise to the Elite Top 3 helps solidify. If they can tweak their visual program slightly they will have a Championship winning corps.