Crown needs to find its own identity

Carolina Crown is just fine.

Remember what worked for Star? An almost complete LACK of identity was, in essence, their identity and it worked for them.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree completely. Crown does have their own identity. Their brass sound is BETTER than Star ever was. While their style does seem to have similarities to old Star, remember that Star does not exist anymore. I think we should embrace the similarities, as we wish Star was still around, and maybe this would be what they would be doing... one could only hope.

The brass sound is uniquely theirs now. If you blindfolded me, and put BD, Cadets, Cavies, Phantom and Crown in front of me, I could easily tell them apart. The rest would be tougher as they tend to generate a generic sound. These five are distinct with their sound. Thats identity.

Their use of body movement is another level than even Star was doing, which makes it their identity now.

Their choice of repertoire is not a very good argument as well. Part of why people love drum corps is to hear music they know and love performed. It's nice to see new tunes out there, but we also like to see new takes on the classics. I do not regret seeing the Cadets do WSS again. They had a great take on it. I would say SCV's approach to Martha this year was more like the Cadets take on it than it was on their own corps historical relationship with it. Where is the identity of that.

There are groups that are searching for their identity, and some seemingly on a continuous basis. Crown is not one of them. They found it!!!!

Corps' have all kinds of different sounds and arrangements. I think the point that the OP was trying to make is that if somebody plays "Legend of the one-eyed Sailor" we think BD. If they play "Elsa" we think Regiment. If they play "Conquest" we think BAC. If they play "Battle Hymn" we think Troopers. If they play "William Tell" we think Bridgemen. If they play "The Elks Parade" we think Skyliners. If they play "Mag Seven" we think Hurcs....and the list goes on and on. When you play a song that another corps is noted for people will probably think of the other corps first.

I thought this years show was pretty original. Maybe Promise of Living has been played before - but never like this. That was amazing to hear them gradually drop the song at the beginning, only to pick it back up 10 performers at a time at the end of the show...until they are filling the stadium with the sound. That was a distinctly original moment for me, and the best moment of the show.

And considering the songs that have been played by others: Would you mistake Crown for the other corps, either visually or musically? Probably not.

Around two thirds of Crown's show is music that has never been played by a drum corps. So you're gonna have to try a little harder with that argument.

Well, the only was I see that Crown can become original is to finally do a "fast food wars" show. I suggest the guard dresses half in burger king costumes (creepy) and half Ronald McDonald and they do a battle royale while the corps plays music from the star wars cantina scene.

Would that work?

Just because you play a piece that some other corps used to play does not mean you don't have an identity. It's all about attitude and presentation. Repertoire does not an identity make.

Around two thirds of Crown's show is music that has never been played by a drum corps. So you're gonna have to try a little harder with that argument.

This is an incorrect statement.

That said, the show as a whole was pretty innovative, methinks.

Methinks Crown has only one corps they could copy....

THEMSELVES!