Crown needs to find its own identity

We agree. Crown arrived fairly late on the scene and it is nearly impossible not to play music that older corps had time to claim "dibs" on. There are not that many different pieces that would translate well on the field to not have repeats. I think the different takes on the repeats are great. Now i guess Crown could have Klesh compose original pieces but then there would be those claiming flaws and lack of tradition and familiarity in the music.

You said it, all corps do repeats and it is amazingly difficult not to. Remember when Crown went out on a limb with the "Industry" show? Didnt work that well or translate. It's just not fair to ask the new guys to come up with their own "niche" when the older corps have called "dibs" on the mainstream.

If it were up to be I would probably have done what Crown has done to this point. They now the personell, the staff, and the resources. Maybe they can afford to try going out on a limb with original music and or arrangements again.

I have to disagree. There is ton of material which has never been played in the drum corps world. That is what frustrates me most about this activity. BD playing the Who in 1990. Cadets playing Jethro Tull. Scouts playing Kashmir. That's just a few examples of what can be played in drum corps. There's many avenues for corps to explore.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dumb thread. Leave it alone. Crown has had their indentity since they started in the activity. They are no one else but Crown.

I am so sick of these "Crown needs to find themselves" threads. They are a waste of time.

One could argue that Cavaliers have lost their identity greenblue. But why go there? Waste of time. Lets celebrate 2009.

And im so sick all the defensive Crown fans on this board, never do i attack Crown, just stating an observation that many feel, outside of the posters on DCP...and Cavies may have lost their identity because the other corps stole it...how about that? I think they Cavies realized that when they brought in their new arranger this year and will be working hard in the offseason to move to the next level visually.

Edited by GREENBLUE

[quote name='DrumJunkie' date='Aug 9 2009, 12:08 PM' post='2631933']

so let me get this straight. if another corps has played any type ovf music arrangement, then another corps cant ever play becasuse it belongs to a particular corps. gimme a break. and as for fans enjoyed the 07 and 08 shows better, they may have, but crown was still voted the fan favortie this yr by the fan network.

[/quote

THIS THREAD WAS NOT ABOUT ONE CORPS PLAYING MUSIC THAT ANOTHER CORPS HAS PLAYED IN THE PAST!!!!!!!!! My point was that the two pieces played by Crown are very well associated with 2 corps consistently in the top 5. I dont understand why you would pick Somewhere on a year when Cadets are celebrating their 75th anniversary by doing West Side ( and they made this known last August). And the Cavaliers play Over the Rainbow at every encore performance, and while its not the corps song, everyone relates it to modern day Cavies. And yes I realize that Crown played Engulfed Catherdral in 2000, as one of the posters pointed out, but when I think Crown I don't think Engulfed Cathedral.

And For the fan network comment cut me a break...while some people do vote becuz a show is their favorite. There are alot people who vote just to change the vote, vote for the underdog.Vote for other corps becuz theyre tired of seeing the same corps at the top of the polls. These polls essentially mean nothing just a form of entertainment.

Unless you put 1000 people in a room who have no corps affiliation have them watch the shows and then vote these polls will never accurately deem a true, pure favorite.

Edited by GREENBLUE

I have to disagree. There is ton of material which has never been played in the drum corps world. That is what frustrates me most about this activity. BD playing the Who in 1990. Cadets playing Jethro Tull. Scouts playing Kashmir. That's just a few examples of what can be played in drum corps. There's many avenues for corps to explore.

For the record:

Jethro Tull has been used before. Many times, in fact. The Cadets were 9th in line.

Tommy has been used before. Many times, in fact. BD was 14th in line (and that includes one of my former corps)

Kashmir was played by a D.III corps (The Raiders) 7 years before Madison played it.

Just sayin' :doh:

THIS THREAD WAS NOT ABOUT ONE CORPS PLAYING MUSIC THAT ANOTHER CORPS HAS PLAYED IN THE PAST!!!!!!!!! My point was that the two pieces played by Crown are very well associated with 2 corps consistently in the top 5. I dont understand why you would pick Somewhere on a year when Cadets are celebrating their 75th anniversary by doing West Side ( and they made this known last August). And the Cavaliers play Over the Rainbow at every encore performance, and while its not the corps song, everyone relates it to modern day Cavaies. And yes I realize that Crown played Engulfed Catherdral in 2000, as one of the posters pointed out, but when I think Crown I don't think Engulfed Cathedral.

somebody call the whambulance!

whambulance.jpg

THIS THREAD WAS NOT ABOUT ONE CORPS PLAYING MUSIC THAT ANOTHER CORPS HAS PLAYED IN THE PAST!!!!!!!!! My point was that the two pieces played by Crown are very well associated with 2 corps consistently in the top 5. I dont understand why you would pick Somewhere on a year when Cadets are celebrating their 75th anniversary by doing West Side ( and they made this known last August). And the Cavaliers play Over the Rainbow at every encore performance, and while its not the corps song, everyone relates it to modern day Cavaies. And yes I realize that Crown played Engulfed Catherdral in 2000, as one of the posters pointed out, but when I think Crown I don't think Engulfed Cathedral.

So... why are you not including Troopers in this then?

Sorry... Still think of Sky Ryders and OTR even though they aren't "modern day" and I'm sure there are quite a few who agree with me.

Your sour grapes are getting even more sour. I'd start making them into whine if I were you.

Edited by skajerk

So... why are you not including Troopers in this then?

Sorry... Still think of Sky Ryders and OTR even though they aren't "modern day" and I'm sure there are quite a few who agree with me.

Your sour grapes are getting even more sour. I'd start making them into whine if I were you.

Okay now in this guy's defense, why is it when someone makes a comment about Crown (even though they OP stated he was not in any way trying to bash Crown), people start namecalling, and all that other ridulous stuff? And then in the same tongue, a lot of Crown fans can talk #### about other corps. How about an intelligent argument for once without all the negativity?

Hey! I didn't start this! You be quiet! :doh:

By the way, where are you in that pic?

Edited by skajerk