Crown needs to find its own identity

I still don't quite understand what you're getting at. Arguably SCV did a show full of music that another corps is pretty famous (and successful) playing.

You mean themselves, like in 76, 82, and 83, all before the Cadets, right?

Thank goodness SCV 09 sounds almost nothing like Cadets 87.

And I'd say the same thing about the Cadets 09 not really looking much like any of their previous WSS shows.

Both of these corps managed to find a fresh way to do classic drum corps music...something that is exceedingly rare in DCI.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean themselves, like in 76, 82, and 83, all before the Cadets, right?

Thank goodness SCV 09 sounds almost nothing like Cadets 87.

And I'd say the same thing about the Cadets 09 not really looking much like any of their previous WSS shows.

Both of these corps managed to find a fresh way to do classic drum corps music...something that is exceedingly rare in DCI.

So today's lesson is:

If you want to comment on who plays music "no one has ever played before," make sure you do some research first.

crown show was original so-what if they used OTR or somewhere, they didn't do a repeat rendition like cadets how original was WSS for a third time?

I saw Sky Ryders 86 all over the flow of 09 Crown (as well as Blue Stars 2008 show, for the book ends of 09 Crown)

Just as I saw 1988 Suncoast Sound in 2005 Cadets

Good Bad or other.... MHO

One could have been inspirational for the other....

Edited by Cop

irregardless of methodology of how/where/if Crown has an identity, or if their trend upwards is similar to Star's rise to success/Star Alum staffing the corps, all I have to say is "Scoreboard" or as the great Matt Damon/Will said once ""Do you like apples?" "Well, I got her number. How do you like them apples?" Crown got a silver medal for crying out loud! They are succeeding. Only 7 years ago they placed 16th. Imagine us having this discussion yrs from now about Mandarins, Pacific Crest, Colts. etc. BTW, to add fuel to the fire, in 1992 Crown did Sir Malcolm Arnold's English Dances and Cornish Dances, does that sound familiar. :doh:

If you've not noticed, DCI is a copycat activity. First and foremost respect should be given to Crown for the tremendous improvement the organization has made. Second, corps do not call "dibs" on a given piece of music. Most corps have played a piece that another group has played at some point in the long history of DCI. Over the last few years Crown's programs have been very innovative and entertaining and their brass sound is very impressive. They're not guilty of anything different than any of the corps you've mentioned. Give em a break!

DCI is " copycat ", and there is nothing inherently wrong with that.

For example, last year Phantom Regiment had a marcher subplant the DM on the podium in their Title show.

To no surprise, other Corps this year ( Crown, Bluecoats, etc ) copycatted that and had marchers get up on the DM podium to subplant the DM in directing, or to make him take off his top uniform, and so forth.

Look for more props next year, now that BD won with the creative utilization of chairs.

As for Crown, I see an identity pattern developing of " whimsy " with them. Musically and visually. Their themes the last 3 years have been of whimsical horse races, whimsical fun in their interpretive musical arrangements of the classics last year, and the whimsical characters symbolized with the Guard and certainly evident in the Crown guard costumes worn this year.

Edited by BRASSO

And im so sick all the defensive Crown fans on this board, never do i attack Crown, just stating an observation that many feel, outside of the posters on DCP...and Cavies may have lost their identity because the other corps stole it...how about that? I think they Cavies realized that when they brought in their new arranger this year and will be working hard in the offseason to move to the next level visually.

If you are sick of it, then don't start Crown threads

My .02 follows.

My Favorite for the last few years is Carolina Crown.

Why? Because they are not located in a "Drum Corps main stream location" and despite this they have the whole country talking about them. They perform exceedingly well without the benifit of longtime history that many other corps have. They play "recognizable music" to my old time drum corps ears. They don't appear to have a staff that says "do it my way with my far out selections and my far out wierd movements".

Finally, they have, as previously mentioned, become a "powerhouse player" in a reatively short time.

More "power" to them!

"Cookie"

Yankee Rebels Alumni

I timed it from the Annapolis APD. No corps has ever played St. Michael's Cathedral, Overture to Il Sogno, Puck from Il Sogno, Slalom, or any of the original music in Crown's show. Together, this music adds up to about 7:36 of an 11:30 show, or about two thirds. I'm sorry it seems like more to you.

Cavaliers played St. Michael the Archangel from Respighi's Church Windows in 1994.

Quite well, too.

Mike

Agreed.

It's interesting that Crown chose a couple tunes that Cavies did in 1994, a show that I really like with the exception of drill.

Not accusing Crown of poaching, as both tunes fit well into their show. And Sansemaya had an entirely different (un-latin) feel in 2009.