Crown needs to find its own identity

When I watch a drum corps perform, I look for certain things in a visual program. Doing dancing and body movt is fine, but there is a point where it becomes a little annoying

So, other than the perhaps minute and a half total of body movement that they were doing, what did you think of the other 9 and a half minutes of drill?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see them do a serious show for once. Not a light-hearted show about horses or grass. Do something that will remind me of PR 1996. Something in a minor key, powerful.

Wait, I thought they should search for a new identity? Why would you want them to be exactly like Phantom Regiment? That's the exact opposite of what forming their own identity is all about.

That show about "horses" was perhaps the best conceptual show of all-time from start to finish. As far as a complete production goes, it earned an A+++ from me.

I don't think it made much sense. The first half of the show was good. The ending was ok, just a line. Plain, simple, but the last half of the show just didn't make a whole lot of sense, There needs to be a theme, sense of direction, not just having a bunch of drill.

I think the classic example of this was Cavaliers 2001 (Four Corners), PR 2003, and SCV 1989.

Im not saying its bad, but whatever they were doing out there they did it well, hence their highest score in corps history.

Not trying to bash on them, I just expect a lot from any corps as far as visual programs are concerned.

DCI to me is art. I like to have the visual program not only compliment the music, but I think one should be able to tell the theme of show by watching it without having been told what it was beforehand.

Maybe I expect too much, but I am a perfectionist.

But yeah, Crown is in my top 3 favs and I think it is so awesome to have another Giant in the field.

And I wasn't bashing Triple Crown either - I thought that show was genius!

I would just like to see them try a show with a darker tone, instead of a light-hearted show for once. It would just be something I would enjoy, and I think it could catapult them to a title.

Well they can always bring back their fences.

Question, can you sit on a fence and still win DCI?

Oh - and as long as we're talking about "identity", let's not forget Pioneer and their Celtic stuff every year, or Troopers and their patriotic, western-themed shows, which I've always enjoyed.

I don't think it made much sense. The first half of the show was good. The ending was ok, just a line. Plain, simple, but the last half of the show just didn't make a whole lot of sense, There needs to be a theme, sense of direction, not just having a bunch of drill... [snip]

So it didn't matter that they used "The Promise of Living" to open and close their show both musically AND visually? Which, by the way, I thought was pure genius and one of my favorite moments of the year!

First want to congratulate all corps on a fanatstic year!!!!!

BD, Cavies, Cadets, SCV and Phantom all have their own identities.

BD, well, their BD. Cavies have their innovative visual programs and performance, Phantom has their sound and storytelling, etc with SCV n Cadets...... you can agree with these styles or not, but one can tell who these corps are without a uniform or name.

My point is: Crown needs to establish their own niche. This year they received the silver by playing music other corps are known for (over the rainbow/somewhere) and many on this board say how similar they look and sound to Star. But when is Crown goin be to known for being Crown and not be compared to another corps? When are we going to be able to say Crown is a leader in pushing drum corps to new heights. They had a great show this year, but to have longterm success they need to figure who they are.

I understand they've been changing to improve and move up in the placements, but where do they go from here? Lookin at 2007/2008 I thought they may have started to develop that somethin, but this year even though successful I thought they lost it in translation.

PS: This is not meant to take anything away from Crown, but talkin to many who are just drum corps fans they seemed to enjoy the Crown of 07/08 better. But can appreciate the demand of this years program.

so let me get this straight. if another corps has played any type ovf music arrangement, then another corps cant ever play becasuse it belongs to a particular corps. gimme a break. and as for fans enjoyed the 07 and 08 shows better, they may have, but crown was still voted the fan favortie this yr by the fan network.