So What Should They Do NEXT Year?

I'd really, really, really be happy if a corps like SCV do a full show of Respighi's Church Windows, or Shostakovich's Leningrad Symphony No. 7... Those would be pretty amazing, just because of how powerful, sophisticated, and beautiful, especially if he music is treated the same way as Ballet for Martha.

Mahler needs to come to drum corps.... (SCV, Phantom, even Blue Knights, somebody please)

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone mentioned that The Cavaliers should do a show that would feature their

suave attitude and swagger - a character similar to James Bond....how about a tribute to Chuck Norris?

The show could even have him fighting all the other classic vigilante/martial arts heros like

Charles Bronson, Bruce Lee and VanDamme/ Steven Segal. They could even sell a T-shirt

that has the imfamous top 50 facts about Chuck Norris...numer 20 - "Chuck Norris's tears

have been found to cure cancer...too bad Chuck Norris never cries"

On a serious note. I'd love to see Madison play some fiery cuban jazz

or some unexplored Paul Hart music - there are 3 movements to his piece

Remembrance that the Scouts never touched. I'd also like to see

what they could do with more Broadway - there are so many great

musicals that have that over the top emotion that Madison could capture very well.

I would also love to see Santa Clara tackle Broadway again - Phantom of the Opera

and Miss Saigon were excellent vehichles for them and I wonder what they

could do these days.

I'd love to see Cadets take another run at Les Miserables. I'd also like to see SCV do a Pictures at an Exhibition show. Tubular Bells for the Blue Devils or Cavies.

I'd really, really, really be happy if a corps like SCV do a full show of Respighi's Church Windows, or Shostakovich's Leningrad Symphony No. 7... Those would be pretty amazing, just because of how powerful, sophisticated, and beautiful, especially if he music is treated the same way as Ballet for Martha.

Church Windows has come up in shows a lot of the past few years - it always works, even if I'd never imagined it would.

It was in SCV 07, Crown 09, Cavaliers 94 to mention a few.

I'd like to see Cadets do some type of show where there are a ton of notes...something like 1997. Or maybe a show where it couldn't be done again, like 2000. I really would like them to get back to having the most notes in their show though (AND STOP CUTTING THE TRUMPET PARTS!!! Sorry, I played trumpet and I am tired of the trumpets getting cut lol...)

Cavies, like SFK24 (?) said, get back the Cavie swag and I'll be fine.

BD, honestly, the only show's I've ever liked from them is Club Blue and the show they did in 1997. I don't know what they should do.

SCV, they should go back to the type of shows like 1997 and 1998.

Regiment - Enigma Variations. Can you imagine them playing Nimrod????

Blue Devils - I'd like to see them tackle something other than jazz. How about Michael Jackson.

Cavaliers - I know it sounds cheesy, but how about the music from this years Star Trek. Its an amazing soundtrack.

Cadets - I want to see the Cadets do anything classical.

SCV - Ballet for Martha again.

Crown - festive overture

Glassmen - back to the days of gold 98-01

I'd like to see SCV or Cadets do some of Van Der Roost's music (not Stonehedge, but the LOTR pieces specifically come to mind)

I'd like to see either Cadets or Carolina do Van Der Roost's "Olympica". As far as the LOTR pieces, I think you're referring to Johan de Meij.

For Troopers, I haven't come up with music selections, but it could be interesting to do a show entitled "Custer's Last Stand".

I think The Cavaliers need to go back to a show a la 2004 where they can again play non-original music and also embody a very suave, masculine, cool character like James Bond. Something where the show calls for that Cavalier Swagger at all times. I'll think of something specific soon. :shutup:

Bogart! Although I can't think of any memorable music. Also, the audience might be too young.

Edited by gsksun4

Regiment - Enigma Variations. Can you imagine them playing Nimrod????
:shutup:

That's an awesome idea. A few others:

Music of Percy Grainger : Phantom, SCV or Cadets. Lincolnshire Posy is full of great stuff

Music from Dune: Crown or Cadets

A Night at the Opera: Colas Breugnon Overture, (NO Carmen--Overdone), Mozart, Glass, etc.

Here's an idea:

Crown could break character by bringing some totally new music to the field, the Turangalîla-Symphonie by Olivier Messiaen being a great suggestion I've heard others mention... This being Crown, though, they could keep that bit of whimsy in there by making the show about Turanga Leela, of Futurama fame. :shutup:

More seriously, I'd like to see any corps take on the Turangalîla straight up. There's a ton of potential there, though I can imagine it being off-putting to a large portion of the crowd.