What's wrong with DCA?

I see this post continues...WOW!!!

I don't think DCA is bad. I think they have been smart in their decision making. It's US, the armchair directors, who think we can do a better job. I see continued growth in DCA and it isn't about having a "fun" corps, look at DCI...Bridgemen and VK left and it didn't kill drum corps. Did we miss them? YES! No other corps took up the banner and DCI survived. DCA is dying they are alive and well. Even the growth in alumni corps is great!

My post was put up in fun for a few chuckles.. I coulda said whats wrong with DCA?? Cash for Clunkers!! Even Mr Silva got a chuckle out of this!

VK is BACK... check DCI Open class..and they are FUN again... and see my last line.. Continue what your doing DCA.. so far its working :)

sorry if you read into it wrong

OK.....I'm with Fran.....time to close this nonsense

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40 Dollars a ticket, I don't know where in the world that show must have been, but the DCI shows in my area ranged from 15-20 bucks and had more then 5 corps.

Tim

several YEA shows in the east charge $40 for the good seats

Jeff Ream is what's wrong with DCA.

Moderators, please close this thread now. :throwupen:

Fran

note to self...if i write anything for DCW finals weekend, trash the hack behind the microphone :peek:

There was a time VK was not fun??? Say it isn't so!

Did you see the kids this year, Vic? Cool!

DCA is just fine, I just hope they do not follow DCI so fast, as they normally do.

Edited by BigDale

Hey everyone, I do not intend this to be flame bait or trolling, just wanted to share my experiences at the Kingston show and figure out if this is a problem with DCA or just this event.

I am a big marching arts fan. I've been to many DCI shows over the years, as well as a few high school band shows. I try to follow the activity as much as possible but I guess you'd call me a "casual fan" since I'm not an alumni of any particular corps and I don't go all out flying and looking at extra premium seats for championships.

But this weekend I decided to head down to the Kingston, NY show to watch DCA. I've been to DCA shows before, and I know what to expect, a more "fan-friendly" experience, old school drum corps, something in between the high level junior corps and the limited-schedule marching bands. Cool! So I traveled a decent distance, not too far but manageable. Didn't see any real information on their website but figured it just wasn't updated and there would be seats available at the gate.

So my friend and I arrived at the ticket tent to find that tickets were $20 a person! No levels of admission, $20/person. Steep, but I guess that works since it was just the two of us, but then I remembered earlier in the day when I thought: Maybe I should bring the family tonight!

Then I realized how rough this must be for the casual fan like myself -- could you, or any sane person that might be interested in our activity, willingly spend $80-$100 on a six-corps DCA show? I ended up being kinda glad I left them home! Should this be the kind of experience DCA is looking for?

The stands were packed, but it confirmed what I was expecting - very few families, in fact I don't think I saw any at all, I'll just assume there were some since I didn't scan the entire crowd. It looked like everyone in the crowd was there because they knew Joe or Jane who marched with them back in the 1970's. Most marching arts shows are filled with people who have an interest in someone performing, but usually there are people there from the community, or from high school bands whose directors promote the DCI shows, or friends of alumni, some sort of indirect interest. I didn't see much of that at all here.

Not to mention the crowd was relatively old. Nothing wrong with that! But you have to think, 10-15 years from now, who will be attending DCA shows? The current kids who are filling all the new corps? Well, where are those kids who marched 5 years ago? They weren't in the stands Saturday night. And for such a "fan-friendly" environment, the fans around me gave the impression of unfriendly and unemotional about the corps on the field. I found myself nodding my head and getting into some great intro music by the Hurricanes and Statesmen, but most of the crowd was sitting there like zombies during the show! Strange.

So enough about the organization, what about the corps on the field? Again, I've been to DCA shows before, and I know they have limited tour schedules and whatnot, but I was surprised and a little disappointed. The level of competition was not much better than I've seen at even good high school band shows.

What's going on? Is this JUST Kingston, or DCA as a whole? Did anyone else go to this show?

I remember getting emails for weeks about this Giants Stadium show in NYC. Giants Stadium - $18 a ticket! For the best in the business. And I don't think that was the cheapest!

Then, 6 all-age corps on a high school field for $20 a head. I just don't know how DCA can survive with a price structure that cuts out families and casual fans. Even if the kids don't get involved, you want more people exposed. You want more kiddies that will bug their parents to buy merch. People that will at least be FAMILIAR with what goes on so when a show comes to their town, maybe they will consider bringing their friends someday. It doesn't make sense considering there are DCI and high school band shows that offer more excitement at a better price.

So unfortunately, I'll have to put my DCA fandom on hold for now. Maybe someday this will change? :throwupen:

A show that is $2 more than one at Giants Stadium.what a difference $2 makes(I guess)

"Everyone seemed old"(its Sr drum corps.HELLO??!!)

No families(ahh family values)got it

I think you have an "agenda"

Tell me the truth...youre a Republican...right???

Maybe you need to find a more "family friendly"(sic) hobby

sayonara

May I ask what one's political leanings have to do with anything?

Yeah I do think the OP had an agenda ~ but I've been a registered Republican for 25 years and think DCA's great...So let's not go making any assumptions about who's party supports DCA more than others ok? :throwupen:

A show that is $2 more than one at Giants Stadium.what a difference $2 makes(I guess)

sayonara

........well....shadowtron stated having been to many DCI shows over the years.......at their ticket prices....maybe he/she hasn't paid them off yet. Thus.......20 bucks may be a lot of money right now. Just sayin........

sayonara

I have to question what one's political affiliation has to do with the ticket prices at the Kingston show.

In any event, I have three responses....

I've been a Republican for many years - and I enjoy DCA and participating in it.

Perhaps more to the point, I've been a Republican for many years - and I had the twenty bucks for the ticket (for my wife actually).

And last, there's another newsgroup that thrives on stuff like this. Perhaps you should find it and have yourself a great time.

Thanks Andy! Glad to see someone was as taken aback by that comment as I was.