Running Man Resigns from The Cadets

fifer

OK, so he didn't resign but with all the staff announcements on DCP recently I thought this would be a cute way to say that The Cadets are dropping the running man logo and looking for suggestions for a new logo.

Oh, and they are definitely returning to the "The Cadets" name but will consider using the HNC name again for their 100th anniversary. Check the posting about the logo contest on their site for more details.

From the YEA! site:

"...as the corps prepares for the 2010 season, there is a definite plan to retire the “running man” logo in favor of a design that is perhaps more in line with the Cadets’ image.

What is that image? We leave that to you to decide but descriptions over time have included:

Innovative

Traditional

Fast

Creative

Not like the others

On the edge

Powerful

That said, the Cadets are running a contest in search of a new logo! Included should be any image, artwork, script, etc. The entire logo can be as simple or complex as you design!

To anyone whose idea is utilized, an award will be granted of $200 worth of Cadets’ gear - your choice - to be claimed during the coming year. The hitch… we will only accept entries, submitted to Caryn Goebel at caryn@yea.org, through Monday, Sept. 14th at 8:30 am. If sent by mail, send to Cadets Logo Contest, c/o Youth Education in the Arts, 601 W. Hamilton Street, Allentown, Pa., 18101."

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

0060-0506-2413-5922.jpg

:ph34r:

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r::worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

LOL

What?

The "flying Cadet" IS the Cadets image: whiplash drill, performance out the wazoo . . . that screams Cadets to me.

I don't get it.

I am more puzzled by why they would set the deadline as a few days from now. Good logos take some time to develop, even with a pro-bono contest thing like this. I was hopeful that when the Bluecoats launched such a well thought-out and carefully detailed rebranding effort a few years ago, it would lead other corps to do the same.

This way, however, is not the way to approach it all. They'll end up with something they'll throw out again in a few years. Bad move. :ph34r:

What?

The "flying Cadet" IS the Cadets image: whiplash drill, performance out the wazoo . . . that screams Cadets to me.

I don't get it.

Amen!

It would be like Phantom retiring the chevron or the Crossmen retiring the iron cross, or the Scouts retiring the fleur-de-lis. Or the Cavies retiring the great image of the cavalier they use so well.

What are you going to replace that unmistakable image with? A door? A picnic table? I can see updating the Running Man, but eliminating it altogether? head scratcher.

Hold on a sec.

First, let's not mistake DCP for the drum corps world entire. While we here might recognize the running man as the Cadet of the iconic jazz run photo, the image might not resound so surely with the average fan - and certainly not with prospective fans and members new to the activity. In fact, you could argue that without our prior knowledge, the "running man" is a rather generic figure indicative of nothing at all. I say have a go at something better. Who knows how great it might be?

Second, the deadline is so they can get on with marketing themselves for the coming year. Whatever they choose will have to to be incorporated into all sorts of materials, including some aimed at this season's marching band crowd. They no doubt will have to assess and further develop whatever is submitted now and might yet even have to take the process to professionals. A longer horizon would set them back.

HH

danny b is gonna be disappointed!

Can't wait 'til he posts on this topic. . . I'd be ###### but hey, I'd be happy to have been the logo for my corps for more than 10 years.

Edited by TSRTS13