A plea to Cymbal lines

and those people are short sighted and sacrificing one of the best things drum corps has going for it.

it's amazing how much they rip off from WGI yet overlook this...especially when a guy named Hannum is at Madison, who helped pioneer this artform in the 80's.

and....they are denying kids the opportunity to be a part of something great. Oh sure...they can bang on a cymbal on the rack or play a synth...but neither carry the sheer musical and visual beauty marching cymbal lines can produce, and god bless those few corps out there that still have the balls to not cave to the current fad and eliminate them.

because now those thousands of kids in indoor lines playing cymbals have few places to go and excel.

You say they're short sighted, I say they're using all their resources effectively. This is not to say that cymbal players are useless nor is this any disrespect to anyone who has marched in a cymbal line. But hey, to each his own right? I may not be a drummer, but I can appreciate the sound of percussion instruments just like everyone else and I believe the cymbal line's job is still being accomplished in the pit.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and you're wrong, but we'll let you think you're right.

so much for educating right.....all about the win

and you're wrong, but we'll let you think you're right.

so much for educating right.....all about the win

You can't tell me I'm wrong. This is my opinion. There are others who feel the way I do just like there are those who feel the way you do. I never said you were wrong because you're entitled to the way you feel about it. But if you wanna go that route, tell all the drum corps who don't use cymbal lines anymore that they're wrong as well. :laugh:

Even better idea:

Drum corps. Please put your cymbal lines in the pit where they belong. Just because you can march a pit instrument, doesn't mean you should anymore. Do you see marching bells and timpani still on the field because of "tradition?"

Better yet, lets put snare drums, bass drums, and multi tuned toms in the pit, just because you can march a pit intsrument, doesn't mean you should anymore.

Your logic is garbage.

Even better idea:

Drum corps. Please put your cymbal lines in the pit where they belong. Just because you can march a pit instrument, doesn't mean you should anymore. Do you see marching bells and timpani still on the field because of "tradition?"

My sentiments EXACTLY.

Wrong. WRONG. RUDE. Arrogant. WRONG... bad idea. How 'bout this: We eliminate tubas/contras and stick them on the BACKSIDE of the field "where they belong." Or wait... how 'bout we just put the whole drum section up in the pit "where they belong."

Eliminating COMPLETELY any instrument from the field that a group of people plays is WRONG. And quite frankly I don't care how snotty and arrogant anyone here gets about their personal point of view about it when I am being told what I should think...

How 'bout this:

We cut back just ONE third soprano (why do we need 30 of those?) ... just ONE baritone (why do we need 30 of those?) ... just ONE Tuba (so what's the "cool" thing for corps to do now? March 20-25 of those because PR had 20 or so last year?) ... and cut back just ONE pit member (aren't there like 25 of them up there now?) and let the cymbal lines LIVE.

Please.

Wrong. WRONG. RUDE. Arrogant. WRONG... bad idea. How 'bout this: We eliminate tubas/contras and stick them on the BACKSIDE of the field "where they belong." Or wait... how 'bout we just put the whole drum section up in the pit "where they belong."

Eliminating COMPLETELY any instrument from the field that a group of people plays is WRONG. And quite frankly I don't care how snotty and arrogant anyone here gets about their personal point of view about it when I am being told what I should think...

It's not THAT serious dude. Relax. Speaking for myself, I'm not trying to be arrogant nor rude. Just offering a viewpoint.

How 'bout this:

We cut back just ONE third soprano (why do we need 30 of those?) ... just ONE baritone (why do we need 30 of those?) ... just ONE Tuba (so what's the "cool" thing for corps to do now? March 20-25 of those because PR had 20 or so last year?) ... and cut back just ONE pit member (aren't there like 25 of them up there now?) and let the cymbal lines LIVE.

Please.

Because if we do that, then people would complain about the LOUDNESS of the hornline. How many times have we heard people complain about the loudness of cymbal line? I never realized how much passion there was about cymbals. Maybe I'd feel differently if I actually played them. I guess I'll never know. Maybe they'll come back....one day.

Cymbal lines are still out there, but not because of tradition. They're out there because they're freakin' cool musically and visually. Marching bells and timpani aren't out there because there's nothing cool about them at all, so they weren't worth the back problems people got from carrying them. Nobody misses cool visuals from marching timps because there is no such thing!

This.

ahhh...who really cares anymore...screw tradition...why should they start to care about tradition now? Let's just let all those that want to make drum corps into something else just have their way...

when the 4 members of the future hornline are sitting in the pit playing their electronic amp'd horn, and the percussion section is 4 people on a digital set, setting the music for 140 guard, and these people decide that drum corps is missing something, we can just sit back and say "tough ####"

Fielding a cymbal line is up to the corps. Not a whole bunch of people arguing over it. Plates add visual and kinda a lot musically, plus anyone who says that "tradition" is dumb...you cant tell me that if Cavs bass cadence or Cadet's right foot step off and uniforms and Phantom's chevrons or even Madison's plates were gone...there would not be a whole bunch of people mad about it.

Cymbals are good for some corps not others. They add musically and visually and most cymbal lines have been in their corps forever.

Fielding a cymbal line is up to the corps. Not a whole bunch of people arguing over it. Plates add visual and kinda a lot musically, plus anyone who says that "tradition" is dumb...you cant tell me that if Cavs bass cadence or Cadet's right foot step off and uniforms and Phantom's chevrons or even Madison's plates were gone...there would not be a whole bunch of people mad about it.

Cymbals are good for some corps not others. They add musically and visually and most cymbal lines have been in their corps forever.

This I can agree with.