A plea to Cymbal lines

and maybe the cymbal players have friends that are brass players they can bring to the corps as well....

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone has seen the spectacular view that is called the SCV cymbal line. The innovation is always inspiring, but it has inspired one too many corps lines to immitate. I am tired of the head chop jump swing move that SCV made famous. To all the cymbal lines out there, please come up with some new, refreshing stuff. You don't see all the other corps hornlines going down to a knee and doing a leg kickout at the end of their show just because Phantom made it look good. So please, come up with your own cool tricks and leave SCV alone. From one intentional cymbalista to the rest........

fyi... no one does this visual on the field except for scv. this last season, scv didnt even do it. i dont know where youre getting this from...

Here we go again! :laugh:

*standing up* I am a cymbal-holic. I love watching plates. I love taking photos of flashy lines. And I enjoy following them during a show. I "get my geek on" ($1 to Dan Potter) every year watching the Cymbal Ensembles at I&E.

And every year without exception, I see new and innovative work.

This year one of my favorite lines to watch was Legends. Usually with Open Class lines, you see a few copycat moves, and, with many of them new to the instrument there tends to be lower expectations. This year every single line was strong with a eye-blinking original moves at every turn. Legends, with only THREE members, blew me away. I was able to see them during the Open opening ceremonies concert - and they had everyones focus. Precision, daring, and original work.

So maybe you only see the head-chop move in a show (there are dozens of variations on this, btw) because the show is designed to feature this 'event'. But I would encourage nay-sayers to follow any cymbal line for one show and you will see original work, dedicated individuals to the craft, and audience appealing flash. Oh - and musicality as well.

MAV...who does Κψµβοσ

Cymbal lines add a certain presence to drumlines and drum corps that cannot be filled by cymbals used in pits. Visually and musically cymbal lines have so much to offer to drumlines and drum corps. I am sure many of you will agree, that watching a cymbal line perform is something incomparable to anything else. The intricate rhythms, the blend of unique sounds, the intensity, the precision in movement and sound quality, the visual presentation... everything that makes a cymbal line a cymbal line, is undeniably exceptional and brilliant. If you have ever truly watched a cymbal line perform, you know this is an accurate account. I feel too many people make harsh judgement on marching cymbal lines before they actually experience what cymbal lines do.

:laugh::laugh::worthy::laugh::worthy:

fyi... no one does this visual on the field except for scv. this last season, scv didnt even do it. i dont know where youre getting this from...

Because last year was an exception. A lot was toned down because of the show SCV was doing. No Viper, no "V", no Vanguard yell, etc. We're getting it from 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005 2004... do I need to go on?

This is coming from a horn guy... Bring on the plate lines! To those of you who say "keep them in the pit where they belong", show me another section in the corps that can add to the show both visually and musically the way they can.

Edited by skajerk

even better idea:

ignore this idea. the marching cymbal can create sounds cymbals on a stand can not and also if done well, can add a lot to the visual end of a program.

Ummmm, but they do have crash cymbals in the pit don't they? I'm sorry, I love the sound of a cymbal crash, especially in a ballad (i.e. Cavies 2003, Cadets 1998, etc. etc.) but I don't see why you need cymbal players on the field. I have been in a drum corps where they had cymbal players on the field and frankly, I don't hear any difference from the ones on the field as opposed to the ones in the pit. You know, I would like to know why most drum corps without cymbal lines chose to get rid of them. I'm willing to bet that they feel the parts are already taken care of in the pit. But hey, this is only one man's opinion.

Ummmm, but they do have crash cymbals in the pit don't they? I'm sorry, I love the sound of a cymbal crash, especially in a ballad (i.e. Cavies 2003, Cadets 1998, etc. etc.) but I don't see why you need cymbal players on the field. I have been in a drum corps where they had cymbal players on the field and frankly, I don't hear any difference from the ones on the field as opposed to the ones in the pit. You know, I would like to know why most drum corps without cymbal lines chose to get rid of them. I'm willing to bet that they feel the parts are already taken care of in the pit. But hey, this is only one man's opinion.

there is so much more to a cymbal then simply a "crash" or a roll. taps, crunks, cranks, slide chokes...all the various terms out there....add so much more musically that you can not do with a cymbal on a stand. I so wish people would actually EDUCATE themselves to what a marching cymbal line can add musically with the various techniques available...and that's not even counting the visual additions

and the biggest issue people got rid of them is the desire for more brass or keyboards or guard. And as cymbal lines die, the number of people able to take one and make it great is shrinking.

yet somehow in WGI and the various indoor circuits, cymbal lines thrive...and gasp....they have cymbals on stands there too! :laugh:

Imagine that.....marching cymbal lines in groups that have cymbals on a stand.....WOW!

:worthy:

one person in the pit, either with hand cymbals or on a stand can never duplicate what a marching cymbal line can do. and nothing you or anyone else can say to try and prove otherwise will be accurate or close to reality.

there is so much more to a cymbal then simply a "crash" or a roll. taps, crunks, cranks, slide chokes...all the various terms out there....add so much more musically that you can not do with a cymbal on a stand. I so wish people would actually EDUCATE themselves to what a marching cymbal line can add musically with the various techniques available...and that's not even counting the visual additions.... one person in the pit, either with hand cymbals or on a stand can never duplicate what a marching cymbal line can do...

:laugh:

Edited by JTarka

there is so much more to a cymbal then simply a "crash" or a roll. taps, crunks, cranks, slide chokes...all the various terms out there....add so much more musically that you can not do with a cymbal on a stand. I so wish people would actually EDUCATE themselves to what a marching cymbal line can add musically with the various techniques available...and that's not even counting the visual additions

and the biggest issue people got rid of them is the desire for more brass or keyboards or guard. And as cymbal lines die, the number of people able to take one and make it great is shrinking.

yet somehow in WGI and the various indoor circuits, cymbal lines thrive...and gasp....they have cymbals on stands there too! :laugh:

Imagine that.....marching cymbal lines in groups that have cymbals on a stand.....WOW!

:laugh:

one person in the pit, either with hand cymbals or on a stand can never duplicate what a marching cymbal line can do. and nothing you or anyone else can say to try and prove otherwise will be accurate or close to reality.

Weeeeeeeeeeeell, apparently most of the drum corps community feel they CAN be duplicated so nothing you or anyone else says will bring those cymbal lines back to the field. So I guess we'll have to get used to hearing the cymbals come from the pit, with which I am perfectly okay. :worthy:

Weeeeeeeeeeeell, apparently most of the drum corps community feel they CAN be duplicated so nothing you or anyone else says will bring those cymbal lines back to the field. So I guess we'll have to get used to hearing the cymbals come from the pit, with which I am perfectly okay. :laugh:

and those people are short sighted and sacrificing one of the best things drum corps has going for it.

it's amazing how much they rip off from WGI yet overlook this...especially when a guy named Hannum is at Madison, who helped pioneer this artform in the 80's.

and....they are denying kids the opportunity to be a part of something great. Oh sure...they can bang on a cymbal on the rack or play a synth...but neither carry the sheer musical and visual beauty marching cymbal lines can produce, and god bless those few corps out there that still have the balls to not cave to the current fad and eliminate them.

because now those thousands of kids in indoor lines playing cymbals have few places to go and excel.