Dare I make a DARE?

NanciD

The Kilties.............wearing white spats for over 7 decades.

This may sound bias but actually mentioned by many others outside the organization (as well) after viewing the corps live, and for others after (as example) viewing the 2009 DVD prelim performances of all the corps collectively; The Kilties have re-emerged over the last couple of seasons as one of the better fundimental marching drum corps in the activity. It's there for all to see; especially in person or via the high-cam.

Here's the ultimate question; when done well is the risk actually then rewarded?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Kilties.............wearing white spats for over 7 decades.

This may sound bias but actually mentioned by many others outside the organization (as well) after viewing the corps live, and for others after (as example) viewing the 2009 DVD prelim performances of all the corps collectively; The Kilties have re-emerged over the last couple of seasons as one of the better fundimental marching drum corps in the activity. It's there for all to see; especially in person or via the high-cam.

Here's the ultimate question; when done well is the risk actually then rewarded?

Not in Jr. Corps since 1991 ... even then, it was losing favor as early as 1987. That's about the time when stripes started to disappear. I can't speak to the All Age community on this one because I think everyone should be able to wear white on white with a stripe and still look great. The point is, Jr corps look very similar to one another and All Age still has a lot of character in their uni's. I wouldn't trade that in for anything.

contrasting colors or white on white with a stripe will get credit when it's incredibly clean .. it also makes the corps look larger from up top. As a fan, I love that look. As an instructor .... hate it (too much to clean and not enough time to do it).

I'll be wearing a red thong under my black pants next season. How will that be for contrast?

:winky::bleah::laugh::ninja:

Fran

Why not plaid with spats? Like the Kilties.

In my Jr. Days we never got the marching credit we deserved, so we went from black and black to white. It took a while by the judges started giving credit where credit was due because they no longer had the argument of not being able to tell.

I think black and black is more of a time management thing. Hides more uniform dirt and show dirt, for those with limited hours to devote to either. It also lets you do many parades in a single day, despite whatever wildlife might roam them parts. And the membership is more likely to own black pants than white. And black shoes than white. I left my white shoes in Madison, WI in '92.

white bucks expose every marching error. we used them and they looked great. but we were good at marching. with the drills in use today and the lack of rehearsal time and talent level..well let's just say using white would likk a lot of corps. pant stripes also expose leg lift. today there isn't any leg lift. so i guess the corps today don't have the execution of yester year. go ahaed and carpet bomb me now. you know i'm right.

nanci ya made me open my mouth..........now i'm in trouble.......guarenteed

St. Joe's ( Batavia ) wore white bucks back in the 50's. They were HELL to keep clean and one invariably

got white polish on the sole which was a bear to clean off.

but they looked good. in later years the soles on the white bucks were white so no problamo.

Empire wore white shoes and white pants in the early nineties and won marching very often even at DCA Championships. That is because we were bad ###!

Donny