Corps' Related Tattoo

166 members have voted

1. 1. If The Person Never Marched, Should They Get A Corps Related Tattoo?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

I think this goes with the same idea of "no corps, no jacket".

While i do know some I've marched with who didn't get a fleur on their shoulder, i don't know anyone who didn't march who did. Its part of that rite of passage. You've earned it and became a part of the history of that ensemble. Now I'm not saying you can't, but i will say, if I see someone on the marching field with a delta, or a fleur, or a chevron teaching a group, and I ask them what years they marched, and they say "oh... i just love the corps" I'll feel a little weird about you. Like you didn't earn that but feel inclined to LOOK like you earned it.

I've known a few people who were volunteers for many years with some ensembles and are a part of their booster organizations, who have a tattoo but didn't march in that group. I would say they've earned it as much as the members for being a part of that organization's history. But it took a few years.

It's still just a case of how you feel about it, and it's not always the same ink design. Myself and several others went to get inked, and while many chose to get crosses on their arm, back, or shoulder, some of us chose something a bit more inconspicuous. For some it was a smaller cross in a lesser sen area of the body, others it was a small tattoo on the wrist that had the corps name, or bones, or xmen, and the years they marched. All that said, all of them who got ink that day, marched! Like C. Holland said, "...if I ask and you say...I like the group..." I would feel a little weird about you as well. I would also feel the same way about someone with a Dallas Cowboys tattoo that never played for the team. If you are a real die hard fan, just buy their gear, and wear it as often as you like.

At least when I marched, the marching members would be pretty ###### off if they saw somebody who wasn't an alumni walking around with their corps' tattoo. Heck, I got blasted on facebook during one off season when I let my girlfriend (who was a member of a different corps) wear my corps jacket on a cold evening because she forgot to bring one. Corps members are VERY protective of their membership. It wouldn't be a good idea.

Also, I personally disagree with it for many of the reasons already mentioned.

Edited by TroopAlum12

I would also feel the same way about someone with a Dallas Cowboys tattoo that never played for the team. If you are a real die hard fan, just buy their gear, and wear it as often as you like.

seriously?

I see tons of Bears /Cubs / Sox and Blackhawks tattoo, never once did it even occur to me that the person might have or should have played for them

Tattoos are stupid as is trying to control what other people are allowed to get tattoos of on their own body

All the cool kids have stopped getting tattoos so they won’t come around again for about 20 years (as always, allow a 5-10 year lag for band kids to catch up with cool kids)

I say no, but I am not a tattoo person.

Now we do live in a free country, and people are free to have tattoos or not, but it is an unwritten understanding that you have to march in order to have the tattoo. Plus, if you are a fan and love a corps enough to get a tattoo, you have to remember, you can fall out of love with a corps. Imagine getting a Cadets tattoo and then finding out they want to be a 70's era disco corps, and not in the way Surf did in 2013 would you still want the tattoo?

It may also depend on the corps. I love BAC, support them and I'm unwavering in loyalty to them. Madison is close behind. I think both corps would feel I do not deserve to have a tattoo since I didn't match with them. It's a tradition thing and I respect that. They would be flattered if I wore a corps t-shirt, but that's different. Other corps might be flattered.

Someone with a tattoo from my corps that had not marched, wouldn't offend me so long as they didn't try to pass themselves off as a past MM. I agree it is odd and I might think differently of that person but I would get over myself and be happy they had that much passion for my corps they were willing to get a tattoo. I'd know they hadn't marched. So get a tattoo and volunteer for the corps and maybe add to the tattoo "Big Fan"

I can think of a loss worse things to get tattoos than tattoos related to drum corps. To me, it doesn't matter much if a person marched with them or not. Have it if you want it. It's not for me though. I'm not one for tattoos. Hey, why mess with perfection!:>

All the cool kids have stopped getting tattoos

It would appear so. Tattoo removal via laser is now growing rapidly.. and by the hour. Its turned out to be a cool and lucrative way for some enterprising individuals to make some serious money off the tatooed now. Tatto surgical procedures are not currently covered by insurance plans, but nonetheless, more and more of the tatooed are increasingly willing to pay out of pocket lots of dough for these now considered uncool tattoos to be surgically removed from their bodies. Job prospects in the Tattoo removal business is expected to become one of the larger growth industries in the U.S. over the next 2 decades, as a matter of fact.. far outstripping most other industries growth prospects ( Source.... Forbes ).

Edited by BRASSO