Could the new pre-show rule lead to woodwinds?

Will the Pre-Show rule lead to woodwinds?  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Pre-Show rule lead to woodwinds?

• Yes
    • No
    • It's unlcear at this point.

While I agree with you, for the most part, all of those elements exist in marching band as well, to varying degrees. One of the only distinctive elements of today's drum corps is the fact that they still do not include woodwinds.

edited to make it truthful

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (dcsnare93 @ Feb 8 2010, 12:02 AM)

While I agree with you, for the most part, all of those elements exist in marching band as well, to varying degrees. One of the only distinctive elements of today's drum corps is the fact that they still do not include woodwinds.

Sweet! OSU Marching Band = drum corps! :tongue:

Sweet! OSU Marching Band = drum corps! :tongue:

may as well be

What the hell do you want me to do, go find every corps director and judge and hand them a polite note even though they will probably throw it out once they get it?

NO!!! If it's polite they won't even listen to you! I would consider making the note ESPECIALLY rude in order to incite some action.

I highly doubt WWs will have that same effect, but until they do I'll definitely be a complete d-bag and boo whatever I don't like hearing during the preshow. The players will no doubt deal with it like professionals.

And you're right. The members of a drum corps WILL handle your booing "like professionals" but they really would appreciate it if YOU would do the same! :tongue:

I'm atleast a little glad that you'll keep your annoying booing to JUST preshow. (If you really feel compulsed to boo at all. "But why? We didn't ask for woodwinds?!") But just between you and me. Lets say that for every "boo" you do, you have to do atleast 5 "HOLY **** THAT WAS ****** INCREDIBLE YEAHHHHHH!!!!!!!" 's. I mean, its only fair.

*Performers FIRST, Fans a very close SECOND*

Sweet! OSU Marching Band = drum corps! :smile:

No, they still have a pretty different brass band instrumentation ( trombones, sousaphones, various trumpets, baritones and ( used to be alto horns)), a drum major who twirls a baton, no color guard, and different percussion configuration. OSU is pretty awesome though.

OK so people have been expressing their fears about the new Pre-Show rules passed at the "Janual" meeting eventually leading to woodwinds becoming a part of the corps proper.

Here is the rationale: if woodwinds are brought into play for the 5 minute "anything goes" pre-show, corps directors in the future will say "Hey we already use them for the first part, let's just use them for the whole show" and finally create the dreaded rule allowing woodwinds to march.

My question is this: do you think that corps directors who have been raised on pure brass and drums like the rest of us would really allow drum corps to start including woodwinds in the future?

Let's hear the opinions roll.

In case this hasn't been covered somewhere:

Anyone else remember back when the "amp rule" was passed and someone on DCP (not me) said the way it was written allowed corps to amp vocals? That person got roasted for being a fear monger who hated change, etc, etc, etc...

Guess what.. it happened......

Never say never, especially with DCI.

Music majors playing for music majors watched by music majors. . . .forget the fact taste is subjective.

And been hearing that since the early 80s with DCI..... :smile:

Most people don't need a music ed degree to know what they like.

But some here feel their opinion doesn't count.... Or they are not "right" in their opinion on Drum corps. Still waiting fro an answer on what is "right".

id rather skip my age out year then march drum corps with a woodwind on the field.

Anti-ww arguments:

Think of the stress of the all days + tour on both the instruments AND the reeds they play on. As a general rule, the more "durable" the woodwind instrument is, the less pretty it sounds.

Piccolos- if you look at it funny, it will go out of tune. If you tune in the shade and then walk into the sun, it will go out of tune. If you shoot all the piccs but one, it will still be out of tune.

Oboes/bassoons- imagine one little stumble on the field, one little hick up, and the reed goes too far into your mouth.

If we can use a synth for the timpani drums, then we can have them play a woodwind sound.

Woodwinds would be the doorway to sousaphones.

I would accept sousaphones long before woodwinds...believe it or not marching with a sousaphone looks less stupid than marching with a flute or clarinet.

And been hearing that since the early 80s with DCI..... :smile:

But some here feel their opinion doesn't count.... Or they are not "right" in their opinion on Drum corps. Still waiting fro an answer on what is "right".

LOL, oh, I think we get plenty of "opinion" here on what everyone should be liking. Let art stand on it's own, if it stinks and can't support or explain itself in it's desired medium then it deserves to go the way of the Dodo bird.

The problem with BCI (Band Corps International) as it should now more than ever be called is:

1 - "The Slippery Slope" has won the day. Each "NEW" thing seems to head one way. "Band/Symphony/Opera/Field Theater, with all the New playing equipment, dancers, and props, Etc.

2 - That they, "DCI" (who ever they are that approve things) is "BCI", and will NEVER admit they are wanting a Symphony / Opera type thing done on a Football field.

3 - That the "Fans in the Stands" is more and more becoming only Band people. People active in Band. Their families, their friends and such. Good Luck with that.