Could the new pre-show rule lead to woodwinds?

Will the Pre-Show rule lead to woodwinds?  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Pre-Show rule lead to woodwinds?

• Yes
    • No
    • It's unlcear at this point.

What bugs me is how many people REALLY think the preshow rule will lead to woodwinds. I don't think I ever said what I voted when I started this but it was a no...honestly I just can't see corps staff in the ten years at least REALLY catching on to the idea of woodwinds. They (for the most part) like their brass :lookaround:

we said that about amps and synths too

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You left one out though....narration. Sometimes things dont work that well, and corps stop using them....at least for the most part. I would be thrilled if only 2 or 3 corps a year used narration, and at the moment, that seems pretty likely. As far as amping pits go, well of course everyone will keep doing that. As far as synths, the only widespread 'universal' use I saw of that was the fake bass notes....and considering those were pretty much universally disliked, I'm hoping that goes away too. If a few corps use piano or techno sounds in their show each year, im fine with that as well...

You left one out though....narration. Sometimes things dont work that well, and corps stop using them....at least for the most part. I would be thrilled if only 2 or 3 corps a year used narration, and at the moment, that seems pretty likely. As far as amping pits go, well of course everyone will keep doing that. As far as synths, the only widespread 'universal' use I saw of that was the fake bass notes....and considering those were pretty much universally disliked, I'm hoping that goes away too. If a few corps use piano or techno sounds in their show each year, im fine with that as well...

Thought just hit me......

The thing that was dropped (narration) was also the cheapest of the things added over the years.

Well does make it easier to justify dropping if it doesn't hit the budget........

Thought just hit me......

The thing that was dropped (narration) was also the cheapest of the things added over the years.

Well does make it easier to justify dropping if it doesn't hit the budget........

It was also the worst :lookaround:

Seriously...i prefer techno to narration :blink:

It was also the worst :blink:

Seriously...i prefer techno to narration :blink:

Only have seen five Jr shows live since 2002. And one of them had to have been the Cadets "Door" show....

"Where are we?" "Where are we?"

Can't argue..... and I hated Empire Statesmen using a bass guitar and amp in 1985 ICA (Sr corps circuit) shows. :lookaround:

Which means exactly nothing. Something else can always happen. Unless you believe in a grand conspiracy to dupe the entire drum corps community into lazy acquiescence, these incremental changes don't have to be connected. It is entirely possible - and indeed likely - to decide one without respect to the other. Electronics no more make woodwinds inevitable than grounding the pit did.

Trends such as these are realized only backward. If drums corps decide to use amps, they do so without regard to whether they should also use woodwinds. There is no viable support for woodwinds in drum corps today. This we-said-that-about-amps mantra that some insist on repeating ad naseum isn't some sort of scientific forecast. It's more in the category of hurt feelings and accumulated anxiety.

Crown was one of the first corps to make use of amplified voice. They debuted the new toys with both narration and singing. Did that lead to woodwinds or even support for such a change? No. It didn't even lead to more singing. It's not inevitable. It's not even a continuum.

HH

Well, not exactly. The difference is that there was a large group of designers and instructors who favored amplification and later electronics for a while prior to their inclusion. That is simply not the case today regarding woodwinds.

We are no closer to adding woodwinds to the competitive show today than we were before the pre-show rule was passed.

OK so people have been expressing their fears about the new Pre-Show rules passed at the "Janual" meeting eventually leading to woodwinds becoming a part of the corps proper.

Here is the rationale: if woodwinds are brought into play for the 5 minute "anything goes" pre-show, corps directors in the future will say "Hey we already use them for the first part, let's just use them for the whole show" and finally create the dreaded rule allowing woodwinds to march.

My question is this: do you think that corps directors who have been raised on pure brass and drums like the rest of us would really allow drum corps to start including woodwinds in the future?

Let's hear the opinions roll.

It seems like just yesteday, doesn't it ?, that we were being told that the use of woodwinds being approved for DCI I & E competition would in no way, shape or form lead to woodwinds showing up on the field.

So, " Yes ".... I voted with the majority in this poll that believe that the new rule that allows woodwinds on the field for pre show is the next step before we see woodwinds appoved by DCI for use as well in the actual field competition perfomance. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.