Top Posters In This Topic

Phantom 2008 & 2006

SCV 88 & 89

Madison 1997

Bluecoats 2008 & 2009

Carolina Crown 2009

Cadet 2005

------------------

I'm just gonna say that I didn't put any shows unless I found a tangible plot of some form.

Blue Devils 2009 may have had a story to it, but I don't think that came across... at all. They had some good music (opener and fast mvmt IMO) but I didn't catch any story.

Phantom 2006

Phantom 2006 (again)

SCV 1988

Troopers 2008

---well, didn't really tell a story but was consistent with its theme :P

Bluecoats 2008

Torn between Phantom 08 and Crown 07. Well, ok not really once I consider the differences in the two shows. Phantom's show definitely had a dramatic arc that was impossible to miss, and it was fantastic and it gets my vote. Crown 07 had a great theme and was musically one of the highlights of all of my years listening to drum corps.

One thing I'm hoping: I really hope people don't try to recreate the idea of a dramatic storyline like Phantom 08. It was lightning in a bottle, and efforts to try to reproduce a similar effect will fall short. (IMO of course, YMMV, etc. And if someone tries it and succeeds, more power to ya!)

The title of this thread refers to both best show and best story. There's a difference. Best stories include Bluecoats '07 & '08, Blue Stars '09, Crown '07, Phantom '08.

Based on answers in this thread, storylines have become a significant program element in the latter half of the decade. Are we not remembering stories from the first half, or were they just not that good?

My favorites:

Phantom '08 & Crown '07 -

Both of these shows went beyond simply telling a "story;" they literally WERE a story (as defined by The American Heritage Dictionary: "a narrative, either true or fictitious, designed to interest, amuse, or instruct the hearer or reader.")

If these two shows were films, they could easily be nominated for Best Live Short Feature.

I would also add Blue Stars 2008 (Le Tour: Every Second Counts).

And, just to put 'em out there, my pre-Y2K favorites: Suncoast Sound '88 (Symphonic Dances for the Contemporary Child), SCV '89 (Phantom of the Opera), and Bluecoats '95 (Homefront: 1945).

(WARNING: Commentary relating to this topic ahead)

Now, someone previously mentioned, regarding Blue Devils '09, that if you watch Scott Chandler's interview on The Fan Network, the story of their show begins to makes sense. I have a problem with this, and I believe it's becoming a growing problem with the design aspect of drum corps these days.

To me, a drum corps show should NEVER have to be explained. Either the design is conveyed by the performers, or it isn't...I shouldn't need a designer to explain it to me.

This has led to, what I believe are, mediocre shows getting judged more favorably simply because a designer had to explain what the concept was because the judges, "couldn't figure it out for themselves," and, as an extension, neither could the fans.

A story shouldn't have to be explained...it should be conveyed in a way that almost everyone will understand it. If that can't happen on its own, then the designers failed in their mission.

My favorites:

Phantom '08 & Crown '07 -

Both of these shows went beyond simply telling a "story;" they literally WERE a story (as defined by The American Heritage Dictionary: "a narrative, either true or fictitious, designed to interest, amuse, or instruct the hearer or reader.")

If these two shows were films, they could easily be nominated for Best Live Short Feature.

I would also add Blue Stars 2008 (Le Tour: Every Second Counts).

And, just to put 'em out there, my pre-Y2K favorites: Suncoast Sound '88 (Symphonic Dances for the Contemporary Child), SCV '89 (Phantom of the Opera), and Bluecoats '95 (Homefront: 1945).

(WARNING: Commentary relating to this topic ahead)

Now, someone previously mentioned, regarding Blue Devils '09, that if you watch Scott Chandler's interview on The Fan Network, the story of their show begins to makes sense. I have a problem with this, and I believe it's becoming a growing problem with the design aspect of drum corps these days.

To me, a drum corps show should NEVER have to be explained. Either the design is conveyed by the performers, or it isn't...I shouldn't need a designer to explain it to me.

This has led to, what I believe are, mediocre shows getting judged more favorably simply because a designer had to explain what the concept was because the judges, "couldn't figure it out for themselves," and, as an extension, neither could the fans.

A story shouldn't have to be explained...it should be conveyed in a way that almost everyone will understand it. If that can't happen on its own, then the designers failed in their mission.

I'll reexplain myself....

For example, how many of you love Blue Devils 2008 as one of your favorite shows? Me included.

If it is your favorite, how many of you would like to hear the commentary behind the scenes of that show?

I think the purpose of the designer comments are to talk about the show from a different perspective so fans can FULLY understand the true meaning behind the shows. It's not to say fans may not understand the show at all, but if they really love the show, I'm sure they wouldn't mind hearing another perspective from the visual or even the music designers.

Here's another example: in The Cavaliers 2007, did you know why members of the hornline rolled down and got back up, even though it was a cool visual?

According to Jeff Fieldler in his comments, it represented the "falling down in life and getting back up," which I never thought they would imagine when they wrote the show.

These are the reason behind the commentaries.....not just to tell the audience member what they are understanding from their perspective, but also from the designers. And personally I find nothing wrong with that; in fact, it helps me to appreciate the shows a whole lot more.