The ALL DCA Corps

All DCA Corps  

155 members have voted

1. 1. What corps would you say was the best that DCA has offered since its inception?

• Caballeros
    • Buccaneers
    • Sunrisers
    • Bushwhackers
    • Hurricanes
    • Skyliners
    • Matadors
    • Rochester Crusaders
    • Empire Statesmen
    • Brigadiers
    • Westshore
    • Steel City Ambassadors
    • Minnesota Brass
    • Renegades
    • Yankee Rebels

Well. other than a few homers, the requiste "Empire gets no respect" crowd and the usual mid-thread tangent, there seems to be no real arguments that Cabs have epitomized the circuit...with Reading a fairly close second. Empire is third....which should, by now, come as no surprise....

WOW! You really are anti-Statesmen. All I hear from you is blah,blah,blah, show me this, show me that. I NEVER said ES gets no respect AND did not use any of the examples given as "innovations". Look....LOOK at the shows from a visual standpoint from 1992-2002 and tell me their drill was the same ol' s##t. They did counter clockwise rotations of large sets that I NEVER saw in DCA. That is one example that comes to mind. I don't disagree with the soloist/bandbox argument you present but cut me some slack here. They HAVE been innovative in their show design and presentation. PLUS, they have represented DCA all over the world. And before you go into their finances, the MEMBERS paid for their trips, not the corps.

I merely offered a point of view that they not be overlooked for their contributions to DCA. And to your "comment" about them being 3rd.....How many titles have YOU won?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am an alum of the Rochester Crusaders and MY opinion is that Empire Statesmen have been the most ENTERTAINING corps in DCA since 1983. Cabs should win this poll hands down. But lets not forget Buccaneers and their great corps over the decades.

WOW! You really are anti-Statesmen. All I hear from you is blah,blah,blah, show me this, show me that. I NEVER said ES gets no respect AND did not use any of the examples given as "innovations". Look....LOOK at the shows from a visual standpoint from 1992-2002 and tell me their drill was the same ol' s##t.

Eh, I threw in a :worthy: to show I was being a smart aleck about the "Curley Shuffle" and other fun items I remember from years ago.... Still got a a hot headed response.

Some people take this crap waaaay too seriously...

s/ Guy who goes to shows just to enjoy himself.

Hey, someone create a poll for the "Most Entertaining DCA corps of All Time" and I will vote Statesmen...hands down! Followed by the Matadors. Certainly the props, tap dancing, etc. is wildly entertaining and Empire ALWAYS comes to play and leaves everything they got on the field. They're just not innovative and groundbreaking. In fact, they're somewhat of a throwback....which at times is not such a bad thing. BTW, I've won 4 championships.

Edited by VOReason

This will be great to have archived.

As for lowest scores ever received... they will have to go back to the tick era for sure as you now get 40 or more if the bus driver finds the stadium..

Have to agree with your "showing up gets you at least a 40" comment. As good as today's top corps are, and I'm totally amazed at what can be done with only a limited amount of rehearsal (compared to say, DCI), none of them would be scoring in the high '90's (or '90's at all for that matter), on the old tick system. There are always minor bumps in marching form, brass/drum execution etc that come out in the best corps, including Bucs, Cabs, Brigs, Empire etc who have won in the last few years.

I'd like to see a few more lower scores all around, not 50 as a starting point. Its all subjective (like figure skating) and I understand it.........just don't think any DCA corps is that close to perfect. But on the scale being used today.......there is nowhere else for the winners to be......because they are that far ahead of the lowest scored corps.

Have to agree with your "showing up gets you at least a 40" comment. As good as today's top corps are, and I'm totally amazed at what can be done with only a limited amount of rehearsal (compared to say, DCI), none of them would be scoring in the high '90's (or '90's at all for that matter), on the old tick system. There are always minor bumps in marching form, brass/drum execution etc that come out in the best corps, including Bucs, Cabs, Brigs, Empire etc who have won in the last few years.

I'd like to see a few more lower scores all around, not 50 as a starting point. Its all subjective (like figure skating) and I understand it.........just don't think any DCA corps is that close to perfect. But on the scale being used today.......there is nowhere else for the winners to be......because they are that far ahead of the lowest scored corps.

Hi Gord,

I always thought they should have a DNQ( Did Not Qualify) for those who did not hit a bottom limit at say 50.

Edited by ereese

the tick system was just as subjective as what they use today

the tick system was just as subjective as what they use today

More subjective.... and inaccurate and cheating and ah what the heck....

these old guys who keep bringing this up are giving us old guys that ticked for a living a bad name...

I say again... both subjective and a lot less "mistakes" now...

I have a great idea... let's establish a moratorium on posting any mention of TICKS - UNLESS - you were a judge who ticked....

More subjective.... and inaccurate and cheating and ah what the heck....

these old guys who keep bringing this up are giving us old guys that ticked for a living a bad name...

I say again... both subjective and a lot less "mistakes" now...

I have a great idea... let's establish a moratorium on posting any mention of TICKS - UNLESS - you were a judge who ticked....

yeah but i'm not in favor of giving a corps 40 point's just because they got off the bus and made it to the field.......just sayin

if you stink , you stink.

Edited by donincardona

yeah but i'm not in favor of giving a corps 40 point's just because they got off the bus and made it to the field.......just sayin

if you stink , you stink.

Don,

This is why we became extinct 60 million years ago...

And why this new species keeps reminding us.

Let it fossilize...