The OFFICIAL Phantom Regiment Thread

That didn't stop the judges from rewarding BD or SCV last year, so I doubt that will be an issue.

Mark my words:The tuba may be going the way of the French Horn. Here are all of the "justifications" for replacing Tuba with synthetic sound:

1) People (audience, judges and designers) don't spend time trying to "delineate" the tuba sound. Only current Bluecoats and Crown (Past SCV, Star and Phantom) have forced audiences to notice the tuba/contra.

2) With amped pit, large hornlines, combined with snyth and bad staging, one can't even EXPECT to hear the tuba sound half the time. (unless there are at least 16. U basically need 18-20% Tubas, if you want to cover all of your bases.)

3) BD has more brass titles than anyone else. Name the last show were you can claim you've heard the tubas on every note.

4) Tuba is VERY DIFFICULT to play!! It's hard enough to play sitting down. It's hard enough to play whilst moving, with half of your vision taken away. Then add the stress on the mind learning to coordinate all of the movement, not to mention the strength required. And it still has to sound GREAT (somehow!). During the beginning of the season, it can be disconcerting to young tuba players when they see trumpeters flit and frolic across the field, whilst hearing the message "tubas, you suck" from the tower every 5 minutes. There's an ignorant, impatient mindset in current drum corps instruction about the time-frame required for young tuba players to succeed.

5) Synthetic bass is EVERYWHERE in modern culture. When you hear a single tuba player, in a practice room for example, it almost surprises you how "different" it sounds.

Otherwise, we may as well jack up the synth, and quit pretending that the tubas matter. SCV and BD in 2009 got a good jump on that....and the judges/audience seemed to agree.

God, I hope not.

Think of the opening of Regiment 96--It's that opening tuba feature that makes it totally badda**.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God, I hope not.

Think of the opening of Regiment 96--It's that opening tuba feature that makes it totally badda**.

That's because those were Contra Bugles in G not Tubas in Bd

I talked to a member last night, and asked him about the tuba situation. They have 12, but four of them are out due either to minor injuries, or just getting out of school. Never fear, DCP. Regiment will always be a Fat Bottomed Corps that will make your rockin' world go 'round.

+1 for the Queen reference. I can't imagine PR without a huge bottom. Glad to hear they have 12. How many did they have last year?

16, but that was a one-year experiment.

I thought theyd had more years than just one with 16 tubas....

Nope. '08 was 12.

Maybe I m in the minority here on this, but in my opinion, 12 tubas is more than enough to properly generate the low bass sound required when the total brass line is 80 or below in number.

I won't quibble with those Corps that decide to go out with between 15-20 tubas, but that's about a quarter of the entire brass line. When we factor in the marching demand and the fact that Finals are in a domed stadium, having as many as 20 tubas COULD present a bit of an unneccessary problem, imo.

i believe 15 was 14?

:whistle:

That worries me, at least from a perception standpoint. With so many corps already at 12, not to mention 16 and 20 (Scouts), what kind of subconscious impression could that give judges after a "down" year like 2009? I am hoping they can get at least 10 out there so they don't begin to look smaller than some of the younger DCI lines. It would be tough for Phantom to come out with less contras than say, Jersey Surf or Teal Sound (no disrespect to those organizations intended.) It could send the wrong message about where the corps is headed.

And very few "deep" moments seems troubling since Phantom is so based in low brass tradition. I'm sure there will be plenty of "beefy" moments of Euph/Tuba goodness in the show soon enough!

Size isn't everything....

I think I'll wait and see for myself before making any judgments.