Official DCP G7 Proposal Discussion Thread

A bit extreme aren't we? That's the delema with this debate...we are at the extremes and that serves no one. And...I don't know what will fall out of this, but neither do you. DCI must do something, and a voted on-line popularity contest at finals, ain't enough. By the way, Indy was an Epically bad idea.

Thought I covered my butt by saying "If" :thumbup: .... and I can't find the sarcasism smilie... :tongue:

And I hope I don't come across as reading the future on this and don't think you are doing it either. What concerns me is if the G7 or whoever gets more and more that means other corps get less and less in these tough times. But G7 has said flat out that there are too many corps to be sustained and having that as part of the plan for the future is scarey. Especially since this will impact the regional/Finals money makers. I can't see people saying "I never went to Finals because those crappy corps were there. Now that only top corps are there I'll spend the bucks to fly out".

Edited by JimF-LowBari

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is more ironic is the ease with which people accept the premise that DCI is at death's door financially, based on nothing more than a vague fear-mongering phrase in a PowerPoint presentation.

Still waiting for corroboration....

Or...we could wait until they're $25B in the hole and bail them out! I say we build more SUV's! :tongue:

What about the fact that on their most recently published 990 their net assets dropped by 87%?

87% of what? They move nearly $10 million a year. A $100K drop in assets is 1% of that.

DCI's purpose is not to hold assets, but to sell them to make money for their corps.

I agree with granny's earlier post. We used to be out every weekend locally before tour started. EVERYONE knew who we were and donations were always on-going. Drum corps lost this "local" touch many, many years ago.

DCI was such in a hurry to expand, grow and change for the good and change just to change, they forgot that sometimes you have to go back to go forward

observations

1) Worst PP presentation I have ever see. no wonder the whole activity is in shambles. It looks like it was done by a 3rd grader.

2) Enjoy this year. I think its very clear there goal is to merge with the band community

Drum corps will be finished soon.

First, how do you know Blast didn't bring in more audience?

Second, that isn't the point anyway... Blast managed to bring in a pretty good audience for itself, but it wasn't a part of DCI. The idea is that a more "Blast like" production within DCI would bring more people to DCI not that an outside Blast like production would bring more people to DCI.

I don't. But the fact that what the G7 hopes to do has been done, yet the drum corps audience is shrinking according to their proposal (or is it a presentation?). Those points are in direct conflict with one another.

Second, it is the point. The G7 is claiming that a Blast like production is necessary to "regernerate interest in drum corps". If Blast didn't do it (by their own statements), why do you think this proposal (or is it a presentation?) will? We segreate ourselves into our own Blast-like show, and theat will automaticaaly "regenerate interest in drum corps" - something different? :tongue: There is no logic here.

After a few days now of reflection, I think what bothers me the most is that if you take the underlying assumptions about the proposal seriously, and I'm sure the G7 does, then I see no way this will end *except* for those corps forming their new organization.

Mike

After a few days now of reflection, I think what bothers me the most is that if you take the underlying assumptions about the proposal seriously, and I'm sure the G7 does, then I see no way this will end *except* for those corps forming their new organization.

Mike

The new organization will be a division of USSBA

I don't. But the fact that what the G7 hopes to do has been done, yet the drum corps audience is shrinking according to their proposal (or is it a presentation?). Those points are in direct conflict with one another.

Second, it is the point. The G7 is claiming that a Blast like production is necessary to "regernerate interest in drum corps". If Blast didn't do it (by their own statements), why do you think this proposal (or is it a presentation?) will? We segreate ourselves into our own Blast-like show, and theat will automaticaaly "regenerate interest in drum corps" - something different? :tongue: There is no logic here.

I have never seen a show like what is proposed for the G7 shows. I don't see how you can possibly say it has been done and doesn't work. The goal of Blast wasn't to increase interest in DCI.

The idea is to make the entire show more entertaining, I don't see the problem with that part of the proposal. I really believe that you are arguing against the kinds of shows talked about in this proposal based on your hatred of the proposal as a whole and not on the merits of that part of the proposal.

What is more ironic is the ease with which people accept the premise that DCI is at death's door financially, based on nothing more than a vague fear-mongering phrase in a PowerPoint presentation.

Still waiting for corroboration....

I'm with you here, audiodb. Keep up the pressure.

I have never seen a show like what is proposed for the G7 shows. I don't see how you can possibly say it has been done and doesn't work. The goal of Blast wasn't to increase interest in DCI.

Hey we agree as I'm waiting for details on those additional Thur/Sun shows. If it's something that is different from a regular field show that would generate interest from new/different set of people then more power to them.

... waiting for other shoe to drop ....

But wouldn't learning a show the the new type of event take time away from working on the competative show?