Very well said.

I was in The Bushwackers during their dynasty and in 1994 the general message around the circuit was "Anyone But Bush." It happens. The bar gets raised and adjustments are made. The dynasty shifts to another corps. It has happened several times. Accept it.

Absolutely true, Dave...... been there, done that, too.

1977... we had people coming up to us (Sunrisers) and praising us because we were the corps that year that had a chance to knock the Caballeros out of first place, after the Cabs' multiple-title run in the 1970s.

Then in 1979, after we had won two straight DCA titles, some of those same people were rooting against us. As it turned out, we obliged them by finishing third that year. LOL

Edited by Fran Haring

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We didn't hear about it then because we did not have DCP, but there was a lot of venom pointed at us and I sure there are other people with similar stories. 1993 finals was a perfect example of this. Anyone remember what I am referring to?

I certainly remember it.

"Five Pointer" Not Deserved"

Agreed. From where we stood it looked to be a tossup. LOVED the "RUMPS REPRISE" from Caballeros :laughing: and Frank's coment about "Not going wrong with the Phantom/Star" literature is right on the money. :smile:

Best of luck to all in Bridgeport.

Elphaba

Wow, Phantom and Star wrote that music!!?

I thought someone else had written that stuff.

I think it's funny that people would complain about a corps being too good. I don't go to drum corps shows to watch bad drum corps. I want to see good drum corps. So, good for Bucs. Some of you make it sound like the scores that Bucs get imply that all the other corps suck which is clearly not the case. It just says that the Bucs are better.

I've been a part of both sides of this situation and I'll say this, if either the Bucs or Cabs or any corp who competed this past weekend are caught-up in this point spread thing, their focus is in the wrong place. I'm pretty sure each of the corps have put this into perspective and are focused on reaching the ultimate goal of maximizing their programs. I'd venture to say no one will be thinking about this show in August.

could starting this high cause a problem for the bucs down the road?

If another corps cleans a few things the score will go up faster because there is more to improve on.

If Bucs clean a few things, the score wont go up nearly as much, right?

(talking about later in the season, not right now)

I doubt there will be a 5 pt difference come finals.

could starting this high cause a problem for the bucs down the road?

If another corps cleans a few things the score will go up faster because there is more to improve on.

If Bucs clean a few things, the score wont go up nearly as much, right?

(talking about later in the season, not right now)

I doubt there will be a 5 pt difference come finals.

The most important thing the Bucs have accomplished over their run is not resting on past accomplishments, they will continue in that trend. Everyone else has to match that drive for excellence to have a shot at beating them, plain and simple. If I'm a corps in the chase, I'm excited as hell right now for the challenge.

but if it were based off of 99 scores in 2000, we would have been right up Brigs ### and beating Cabs with room, as well as Empire...who if i recall, we didn't get til finals.

Jeff, I will agree there have been obvious exceptions, but it just seems to be a trend that I have noticed. It could be a coincidence, it might be something that DCA needs to address with their judges, I dunno. Just saying that from what I've seen, it appears to take place more often than not early in the season.

Edited by BX5CM

I think it's funny that people would complain about a corps being too good. I don't go to drum corps shows to watch bad drum corps. I want to see good drum corps. So, good for Bucs. Some of you make it sound like the scores that Bucs get imply that all the other corps suck which is clearly not the case. It just says that the Bucs are better.

Alex,

I think the INFERRED argument here (made by other people, not me) is that some people feel the Bucs are being given a greater benefit of the doubt by the judges than other corps, not that the product that the Bucs produce is too good. It's the reverse of the old "the judges hate us" complaint. I've been on both sides of the coin (judged band and indoor) and my personal experience is that the judges are far too focused on just putting down numbers and commentary to worry or care about that type of political BS. Also, with the experience I've had of marching in three seperate "heavy hitter" senior corps that are or were in the top 3, I can honestly say the judges in DCA are relatively fair. They aren't perfect, but they don't appear to favor one corps or another.

Edited by BX5CM

Haven't seen the shows and probably won't this year. It's a long drive to...everywhere from here!

However, if Bucs are running out of gas with a minute left to go in the show, they will have to make some changes. An extra minute of endurance can't be made up, IMHO. It's too much to ask and if they don't make changes to make the show more doable, it will haunt them the entire season. You'll hear, "They were great, but had nothing at the end.", all season.

Mark my words, it's their Achilles heel. (I know that's Greek, not Roman mythology). But I'm betting their staff will be too pig headed to change the show and will insist the members make up that last minute of endurance. I'm betting it can't be done.

This may be the fall of Rome.