Incomplete Shows

While I understand people's disappointment in not being able to see finished product at the June (or in my case Early July) local show, there is little reason why fans can't buy Fan Network. Heck, if you're posting on DCP, you have a better understanding of our activity than the town locals who know little/nothing about drum corps and go to the show for something to do. If you're that upset about it, instead of spending $20 for one ticket on the June show where you'll be potentially disappointed, spend $40 on Fan Network to get Videos on Demand of all of the bigger shows through out the summer where you can see every corps' evolution.
I wouldn't necessarily take that bet, and I would counter-bet that we'd see less corps come out in June. Why should SCV go to a show if they get penalized competitively or monetarily when they can instead just continue to have rehearsal days until July. That would, of course, be damning to the June/early July west coast swing of the tour, but it wouldn't be surprising or out-of-line, IMO, of SCV do make that call. I'd rather see them perform 85% of their program live in June or early July, than never see then live all year due to a silly penalty.

Following your logic, how about corps don’t compete until one week before finals. That way they can rehearse all the time and get really good! Why take the risk of getting slotted before they can perfect their program. In fact why have live shows at all? They could have their shows taped from their home practice facility and post it on the internet. It would certainly save a lot of touring costs.

The fact is many of you, as well as DCI are too concerned about the competitive nature of the activity and not the entertainment component. At one time there were hundreds and hundreds of competitive junior drum corps. Now there are less that fifty. The fan base has also shrunk dramatically. Now I assume the majority of you marched with a corps at one time. Think back and remember all the people you marched with. Now try to recall how many still attend DC shows. DC is in dire need of more revenue. I’ll say it again. MORE FANS EQUAL MORE MONEY!!!

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Following your logic, how about corps don’t compete until one week before finals. That way they can rehearse all the time and get really good! Why take the risk of getting slotted before they can perfect their program. In fact why have live shows at all? They could have their shows taped from their home practice facility and post it on the internet. It would certainly save a lot of touring costs.

The fact is many of you, as well as DCI are too concerned about the competitive nature of the activity and not the entertainment component. At one time there were hundreds and hundreds of competitive junior drum corps. Now there are less that fifty. The fan base has also shrunk dramatically. Now I assume the majority of you marched with a corps at one time. Think back and remember all the people you marched with. Now try to recall how many still attend DC shows. DC is in dire need of more revenue. I’ll say it again. MORE FANS EQUAL MORE MONEY!!!

I agree with every word of your 2nd paragraph, but would argue that incomplete shows in June have very, very little to do with a reduction revenue streams to the corps in spite of some of the passionate responses in this thread.

I agree with every word of your 2nd paragraph, but would argue that incomplete shows in June have very, very little to do with a reduction revenue streams to the corps in spite of some of the passionate responses in this thread.

Incomplete shows are not a new phenomenon, so I guess it depends on how many fans stopped going because they felt cheated.

Just park up on the front sideline and blow my face off! If you can't march it yet, then fine. I'll put up with that for the first week or so. But come on, at least play the end of the show

At one time there were hundreds and hundreds of competitive junior drum corps. Now there are less that fifty. The fan base has also shrunk dramatically.

Shhhh....that's a secret. Todays corps are not supposed to know that DC was actually bigger way back when.

The solution that's been proposed by many on this thread is to not go to shows....so.....the trend shall continue. It's about the individual corps, not what draws people to the shows.

If it were...

Well...

Wouldn't things grow?

Guess not.

So.....the spiral will continue. 5 years from now, will things improve or not? Based on the opinions of this thread, the spiral continues to go down and things like the G7 go into action to protect themselves.

And many will wonder what happened.

Basically, they forgot about the people who actually paid for tickets. And when prompted about what problems exist, will cough up responses akin to "you don't like it...don't go".

Edited by TrainWreck

A bit of brevity.

Congrats to BK to their victory over SCV in Ogden. Their first ever.

Edited by TrainWreck

I know I've been done with it a couple of time too.

You seem convinced that corps are just being lazy and not trying their best to get as much done as they can before the first show. I don't buy it.

What makes you think penalties are going to have the least bit of impact? All it will do is artificially change the placement at a few early shows; it won't change what people consider the "real" number and the "real" placement because it will be there in black and white. Everyone will laugh that so and so beat SCV or Cavies and it will all be a big joke. Sorry I just don't see what's so great about that.

actually if that penalty is there and they still dont have it by the first regional and can lower them in performance order and their show will get the "we have to leave room for the others" treatment and could hurt the end of the season possibly.

I wouldn't necessarily take that bet, and I would counter-bet that we'd see less corps come out in June. Why should SCV go to a show if they get penalized competitively or monetarily when they can instead just continue to have rehearsal days until July. That would, of course, be damning to the June/early July west coast swing of the tour, but it wouldn't be surprising or out-of-line, IMO, of SCV do make that call. I'd rather see them perform 85% of their program live in June or early July, than never see then live all year due to a silly penalty.

And I would like to pay 85% of the actual ticket price to see that 85% of a show.

http://dci.thefannetwork.org/?ensemble_id=...&mode=viral

Sorry guys, I hate to break it to you but the Colts have robbed each and every one of you. They are just now performing their "complete" show! :P